New Series of Transformers needed.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by zero1, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    This is more what I meant. An anime-styled Transformers show is far more likely to turn out more like Energon than Macross Frontier or Ghost in the Shell.

2. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Animated was close, but yeah I suppose you could say kind of like IDW's comic. I was thinking more along the lines of the new Trek movie which you could say is a continuation of the TNG/DS9/Voyager series, but goes back to the original setting with the original characters more or less in their original forms but redone... y'know it's hard to articulate what I mean. The Trek movie is basically redoing the original Trek series with updated technology (hence the redesign in uniforms/ships/weapons etc...) but the story allowed it to happen in a way that didn't wipe out the original continuity. I'm proposing something similar with Transformers. The redesigns we've gotten with Classics/Universe 2.0 I suppose, but... I dunno. I just thought "Hey! A reboot of the original worked for Star Trek, why not Transformers?" Which I guess is just reitterating someone else's suggestion that they just give Classics/Universe a show.

Sorry, my bad.

I guess the only real difference is that I'm suggesting that they could have a G1 character get thrown back in time, into an alternate universe where it's G1, but events are different and it therefore doesn't overwrite any existing continuity.

3. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ...Shattered Glass?

4. transtrekkie

Or Mirrorverse: http://mirrorverse.transfactions.net/main.html

Well Shattered Glass as an animated series certainly would be new and different than what we've seen before.

Although Trek did it without anyone switching allegiences. Shattered Glass is more akin to the original Trek episode "Mirror, mirror" where the crew of the Enterprise was evil and Spock had a goatee. Which is why Shatteredverse Optimus Prime has a goatee. you just can't see it because it's under his mouthplate.

5. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shattered Glass would be fun as a new series, but I don't think Hasbro would want to learn a new generation of fans that the Autobots are the true evil. :lol 

I think it's obvious the next series is going to be Bayformers inspired. Not only is it logical since the movieverse stuff is selling crazy, Hasbro has also announced so many cool new movietoys (like movie Lockdown!), I doubt they're making them just as non-movie toys. Besides, isn't ROTF going to be pushed until the end of 2010 the least..?

6. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As cool as a Shattered glass cartoon would be I dont think you could do it with out confusing a whole lot of kids.

Now a Shattered glass story arc via some dimension hopping fun now that might be cool. I always do enjoy those episodes in other cartoons when the heroes went up against their evil doubles and meet the good doubles of their normal foes. I think Bat man just did a 2 parter on it

7. Mc Primus

Mc Primus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    forget Shattered Glass, forget "mirrorverse" and for the love of all that is holy PLEASE forget the Unicron Trilogy.

We need an all new series, using a combination of Beast Wars and Animated writers, with the animators from R.I.D. working on a 40 episode arc that has a large amount of the story on Cybertron. Now for the subject matter, how about . . . . . . .

Scramble-City Classics!!!!!!! A new series based on 6 or 7 combiners (of better quality than Energon), and have the parts inter-changeable. They can re-use characters like Superion, Defensor, Menasor, Bruticus, Devestator (main character) and Computron. Make 2 new combiners, one that uses Prime and 4 autobot cars, and one that uses megatron and 4 seekers.

This would work for Hasbro because they could make 2 different sizes of combiners;
    one size that uses deluxe limbs and a voyager body and one size that uses a basic body and legends limbs.

And for the pete's sake Hasbro, GIVE THEM REAL HANDS!!!!!!!!!!

8. iamamachine

iamamachine colonyofcells

News Credits:
    I would like to see a Transformers TV series set in the same universe as the movies similar to Star Wars Clone Wars.

9. transtrekkie

Having just got the Universe Bruticus and Superion I totally second that!

10. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

The way I see it, things like Bayformers, Armada and Animated are already sort of like alternate timeline versions of G1, with similar characters in similar circumstances, but slightly retooled. IDW's universe is like that too, but with even less deviation from the G1 versions of the characters.

Actually, the thing I didn't like about the new Star Trek was the way that they felt obliged to take what is clearly just an updated fresh take on the original series, and cram it into the pre-existing continuity. Why not just accept it for what it is? But then, Trekkies are a fastidious and detail-obsessed lot, and every little inconsistency in Trek needs to be explained and integrated into the canon somehow. I guess it's an example of writing for the temperament of the fandom.

Which shows a little more finesse than some of the OTHER crap Kurtzman and Orci have written... ;) 

zmog

11. newguy

newguy i

i just want something entertaining on saturday morningd that doesn't make me want to chane the channel when my parents walk in.

12. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

As long as it doesn't look like Animated I will probably watch it and give it a chance.

13. transtrekkie

Well IDW and Animated I'll give you, but I gotta disagree with Bayformers and Armada, they were just too different (although Armada did seem to have G1's running gag of having massive errors throughout their episodes).

I'll confess to being an exception within the Trekkie fandom (and as you're probably noticing I'm not one of those that gets offended by the term trekkie). Personally I would have been perfectly happy with it being a complete reboot having absolutely nothing to do with anything that came before. But I liked the way they did it too.

What like LOST?:bay 

14. SMOG

Really? I think Bayformers is VERY MUCH a G1 derivation/permutation, with many similar characters reprising similar roles. The robots -look- very different, but I think the setting is a strong echo of G1.

Armada has a lot of similar G1 style characters too, with Minicons standing in for Energon/natural resources... though I think Armada also has a strong Pokemon-scavenger hunt component.

It wasn't badly done... it was just the fact that they felt the need to do so, probably to appease a certain demographic of Trekkies who wouldn't be able to cope otherwise. :) 

Kurtzman and Orci didn't write for LOST. I was sort of surprised that the minds behind the insipid dreck of Bayformers were also responsible for the new Star Trek.

zmog

15. zero1

zero1 Emperor of Destruction

I just read the thread w/ the seiyuu of G1 Soundwave. Those are the kind of things that are very appealing in which I think it helps preserve Transformers.

16. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Anddddd, all credibility in this thread was lost.

17. Zarscream

Zarscream Well-Known Member

What if hasbro had a massive comp. of the fanfiction stories and make a series from that???
    ^just an idea....

18. SMOG

MOSAIC... the series?

zmog

19. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Would be cool except it would make no sense to new audiences as a series.

Something like this would make a much better DVD release like the animatrix or Gotham knights series based on spotlight like stories.

But that wouldn't be a toy franchise, which means the toy franchise needs to be saturated with kids to be large enough to support a non-toy entertainment product.

20. transtrekkie

They didn't? I thought Kurtzman and Orci were writing pretty much everything these days. As for Trek, yeah that tendancy really irritates me too. Like they're specifically cow towing to the Trek equivilant of GEEWUNERS. I mean come on, eventually, things are just going to have to start over and fans will just have to accept it. I've noticed Dr. Who fans tend to be the same way.

Bayformers was different enough from G1 that I wouldn't really regard it as a redo of G1, but a new version of TF set in an alternate universe (like RID, AEC, etc...) Same with AEC, A lot of the same characters were there, but there were a lot of different ones too that had never been seen before and some that were there in G1 that weren't there for those series. Animated on the other hand, seemed to have characters that were more or less their G1 incarnations drawn differently.