New Series of Transformers needed.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by zero1, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can't be helped, really. Interest in these toys drop off when the children get older, and the life cycle of a toyline has gotten shorter the last several years because kids just have so many options. Hasbro has to release new stuff to keep things fresh.

Yep. A typical Gundam TV series lasts, what, two or three seasons at most?

2. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

weird, one season there is like 50 episodes, which is an equivalent to two seasons of american animated shows?

3. qwerty

qwerty Well-Known Member

how about a series with NO HUMANS, they become nothing but burdens on the TFs....

4. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    strange Old Snake and Dr Arcavale (or what ever the hell his name was) were some of my favs

Frankly I think Humans add an much needed element... but children are not the way to go. G1 kinda got it right with I guess people in their late teens early 20's and they actually had skills that were of some use unlike the armada kids who's whole job was to get captured in some way

5. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How about a one that focuses on cybertron with various chacters spotlighted. Mission oriented one, where prime sends bots on missions, and it follows their outcomes!

I want to see the G1 fliers weird cybertronian vehicles. I thought they were extremely imaginative!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

Hasbro demands the namesakes and such. When Car Robots aired in Japan,the characters were not Optimus,Grimlock,etc. Hasbro wanted the names changed for the U.S. version,as they feel the original names are more marketable.

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think that Avatar is pretty good example of what could be that would appeal to both younger and older crowds. For the kids Aang does a lot of the fun things they would do if they had those sorts of powers and he's fun loving kid at heart. For the more adult viewer there are some heavy topics like the other characters pushing the innocent Aang to kill the Fire Lord when Aang thinks it would be wrong.

The things that cements it all together for the young to the young at heart is that the characters are so compelling you want to see more of them and the story doesn't neatly tie up everything every episode so there is a compelling reason to watch all the episodes.

Something with really compelling Transformers characters and story tell then you don't have to worry about the art style of the show.

8. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:

THIS.

The recent Japanese produced TF shows were bad in general, regardless of where they came from. Simply no excuse. There are some incredible anime series out there--so why not Transformers?

9. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

I liked armada... Personally 3D Cell shading ruined it for me. I could accept Transformers 'anime' from an animation aspect if it was actually drawn and not cell-shaded.

But I think the issue is, things are best in their native language and one thing we lose in translation is voice actors and dialog written for a native language population. I like shows written for and originally voiced by English voice actors. I like Anime written for and originally voiced for japanese voice actors. The trick is when we have a show written for Japanese voice actors and japanese audiences, dubbed by Canadian voice actor using a script that may not translate fully brought to the US for US viewers. I think the series lose something when this happens. Things that 'work' for one audience or language doesn't necessarily work for others.

Not saying it can't be done, I just don't think TFs will ever warrant the quality effort needed to make an anime series great and dubbed well for all audiences.

10. jostru

jostru Well-Known Member

I agree. They definitely need a new series.

PS: Hi, I'm new btw. :p 

11. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

That and Hasbro has to keep using the names or they lose them like they did with Bluestreak. Which is why he is now called Silvvv.. Sil.. I'm sorry I can't bring myself to say it, but you all get my point.

Personally I think they should go ahead and give TF the same treatment as the recent Trek movie. Reboot and redo the original series with better technology (in this case animation) and a new interesting story.

12. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:

:rolleyes:  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :yuck 

13. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    Money is at the crux of this. And it always has been. Hasbro of course wants to make a show as cheaply as possible, and low-budget anime is what you'll generally get.

Unfortunate, but true.

14. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

You know what? TF should just start showing up in Resolute. done, done and done.

15. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Then I would rather low-budget American series over low-budget anime as at least American series are scripted and voiced with the American audience in mind instead of us getting a poorly written anime series with even worse dubs.

16. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

You'd be right, considering it hasn't even warranted the quality effort needed to make a Japanese or English language series great in even its native language.

17. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would not say as cheaply as possible I'd say that value for money is their big concern. They have a set budget that they shop around with and see who can make what for that money and then see what they can get them down to. That does not mean they will automatically go for the cheapest option but it will mean cuts in quality for sure.

Frankly I think the main problem is how Transformers always seemed to be on the edge of greatness but it never crossed that line. In thoery its an awesome concept its just that people play it so conservatively that nothing really wow happens any more.

...And it wont ever change... at least not until we stop caring. Like at the end of G1 it was only after that did we get Beast Wars.

18. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

I don't undrstand what you're saying. You want a sequel to Resolute,but with a Joe/TF team up?

19. zero1

zero1 Emperor of Destruction

Personally, I'm hoping this matter gets to Japan or Takara so they can do something about a new series.

20. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I think the meaning of "Anime" is pretty subjective, even (or especially) IN Japan. But honestly, I think there are stylistic traits that are distinct in Anime... enough to give it a category of it's own.

I don't think it's as unliely as all that. If that were truly the case, we wouldn't be seeing 2 blockbuster Transformers live-action movies. As ambivalent as I am towards the Bay movies, they have proven that the franchise has legs beyond the pure kiddie demographic. Enough to aim the series a little higher than usual .

I agree... I thought the first episode of Super Link looked quite promising too... though it sort of fell apart after that.

Well, we DO have to maintain some link to the familiar past... but things like Masterforce and Victory are exactly what I mean, when I say "new stories building on the old continuity". We've seen the franchise reinvented a few times, but we've rarely seen it progress...

True enough... it's tricky when your main demographic "outgrows" your product every 4 years or so... though that might be a good argument for aiming higher with your content. Little kids will watch anything with giant robots in it, and better writing will keep people interested that much longer, and motivate them to buy more toys.

After all... when something is embarrassingly lame/juvenile, it can kill your enthusiasm for the toy line somewhat. However, when the series is good, it can motivate people to buy purely based on their genuine affection for the characters... feeding that transitional "collector" mentality coming out of the "plays with toys" age demographic... milk each generation for a few more years of buying. :) 

Yeah, if that... and then they rinse and repeat.... same basic ideas and characters, with slight variations. However, it's worth noting that for the first many Gundam series, they were all based in the same Universal Century timeline, so although the characters and mecha were new, they were part of an ongoing history. Even now, Bandai periodically produces OAVs and stuff that take place in the One Year War (original Gundam) setting.

It depends... 50 is a full-year season, which is sort of like 2 seasons smacked together. The standards seem to be 12, 25 or 50 episode runs.

Totally agree... humans are great, and I think very necessary for keeping the series grounded in a world we can relate to. I think it's one of the important parts of Transformers appeal, because without the human element, the "robots in disguise" theme loses context entirely. However, in that sense, I'd want the humans to be real characters in their own rights, plot movers and shakers, rather than sidekicks.

I hear you. When Armada's animation was good... it was very, very good. So much more dynamic than what came later in Cybertron/Galaxy Force.

This too...though more than anything, I think it's mainly an issue with the half-assed approach that is taken towards dubbing Japanese series in general. Even within the western anime-specific market, the standards for voice acting are painfully, gratingly, abhorrently low.

Not saying it can't be done, I just don't think TFs will ever warrant the quality effort needed to make an anime series great and dubbed well for all audiences.[/QUOTE]Yeah... sadly true. But we can hope.

In a way, that's sort of what Animated and the Unicron trilogy are, aren't they?

Or did you mean a more literal retelling of G1, a la IDW's Infiltration line?

zmog