New Reader w/ Questions

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by ShovelFace, Jun 29, 2014.

1. ShovelFace

ShovelFace Internet Savvy Shovel

I just recently got into comics, and decide to start reading MTMtE. Being a new reader, I had a few questions.
    • Do the IDW comics tie into any existing continuity, or are they set in a completely seperate universe?
    • Should I bother trying to read all of the comics leading up to the current ongoing series, and if not, what are some specific stories you would recommend reading to get caught up?
    • Do I have to keep up with both current ongoing series to understand any important plot points?

2. power3921

power3921 Well-Known Member

1. Separate universe
    2. Other than Chaos Theory, issue 21 and 22 of the ongoing, and The Death of Optimus Prime, its pretty much stand alone.
    3. No, MtMtE and RiD are pretty much separate, other than Shockwaves storyarc.

3. TheSpartanD

TheSpartanD Minicon Orphanage Owner

1. The main IDW comics take place in the IDW Generation 1 Universe
    2. I recommend just reading Last Stand of the Wreckers and The Death of Optimus Prime and then decide if you want to read the rest from there (I don't recommend the Costa Ongoing, that is terrible)
    3. You don't need to read both ongoings to understand everything as they are fairly separate from each other

4. gregles

gregles quintesson

Question1; Idw is it's own sort of G1 continuity

Question2; last stand of the wreckers is a must read. A two parter numbers 22 and 23 of the ongoing often referred to as chaos theory by fans are also great given the resent story developments. Early stuff like infiltration , escalation , stormbringer, the early spotlights and minis like drift and ironhide are all not perfect but good for continuity.

Question 3; personally have to read every last tinny bit of information of mtmte as it usually ends up important later but rid seems less essential and self contained so tend to skim-read

5. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Do you smell that?

Ebay:
    Not everyone would agree, but I would recommend reading the 'iation' series for background on all the dark Cybertron stuff. And last stand of the wreckers.

Overall I'd say the whole IDW series (bar mike Costa's ongoing issues between 2009-11) is worthy of reading. But I am a fanboy.

6. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    If you have time, and easy access to them, I recommend reading everything. It's what I did. Only took about a month, though my wife did get annoyed that I was constantly walking around with a tablet in my hand. :lol 

7. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Last Stand of the Wreckers must read to understand More Than Meet the Eye
    Death Of Optimus Prime
    Later Half of Dark Cybertron to know what is going on with Season 2 (optional)

It is pretty much separate universe for first question

3. Currently More Than Meet the Eye and Robots in Disguise are part of same universe but completely separate. Just be aware some characterizations are different from previous incarnations. For example Prowl is a major league jerk in both series.

8. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not much to add, but if you're reading MTMTE you need to read Spotlight Hoist and Trailcutter. They tie into the finale of season 1 and introduce two plot threads that aren't seen any other time other than the finale.

Oh, and read Last Stand of the Wreckers.

9. AB83Rules

AB83Rules Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I was brand new to the comic book stage about a year ago. I have since read through MTMTE and RID, along with Dark Cybertron, I enjoyed it.

I like IDW's G1 style to the comics. I'm about to read Last Stand of the Wreckers, got it friday in the mail from Amazon, was waiting to read it till tonight.

I really like both series, MTMTE and RID, both solid IMO.

10. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

The IDW series are set in an "alternate" or "new" version of the old G1 universe. The characters are mostly the same old G1 crew, but with a few twists and a much different history. Some differences include Galvatron and Megatron being totally separate characters, and Spike Witwicky being an adult soldier, not a teenager.

Characters from other continuties sometimes make appearances (like some Japanese or UK-only characters, or more recently versions of characters from Beast Wars and Car Robots.

the IDW continuity is long and rather convoluted. The quality is very uneven. There will always be references to old events popping up, but it's sadly just not so worthwhile to buy and read the whole series from the beginning.

As some others have pointed out, the essentials are Last Stand of the Wreckers, Chaos Theory (Tranformers Ongoing 2-parter #21 & #22) and The Death of Optimus Prime (which is a single issue starting point for both the current series).

You'll still be missing a lot of big events in the past, but it's not hard to fill in the gaps if there's confusion. Between the forum here and the TFwiki, it's easy to find answers. Having the history is nice, but it's much better to just get going on the good stuff from the last 2 years (Robots in Disguise and espcially More Than Meets the Eye).

Also, you can skip Dark Cybertron ENTIRELY. In fact, I recommend skipping it. It's truly awful, and I hated myself for buying it for 6 whole months. There is nothing in it that is actually worth your time. Better just to get the summary of TFwiki and move on to greener pastures.

For that matter, outside of Dark Cybertron, there's almost no crossover between RID and MTMTE. If you wanted to be conservative, you could just read MTMTE. It's easily the better of the two series. I eventually dropped RID, but I still look forward to MTMTE every month. But not everyone is as critical as I am. :wink: 

zmog

11. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:

• Completely isolated. Only bit of crossover is a couple of panels in the later issues of ReGen 1, and they're nothing significant

I think you should at least become familiar with the key events, as both ongoings (and even Windblade), while starting off relatively independent, bring in various continuity references. For instance, you won't get the significance of some issues of MTMTE if you haven't read Last Stand of the Wreckers. RID especially becomes very continuity heavy, particularly in regards to the Dark Cybertron crossover. (warning there, starts weak but gets VERY stron by the end). The wiki can give you the generals on most, however the key issues/stories to read at some point, imo, are as follows

- Spotlight Shockwave
      - At LEAST Infiltration. The rest can be very valuable reads but you need to get the grounding I think. Plus, I rather enjoy the -ations, although for different reasons than the modern books
      -Spotlight Arcee
      -All Hail Megatron 15
      -You need to at least find out about the Costa run events, very key
      -Chaos Theory
      -Last Stand of the Wreckers
      -Drift (for MTMTE events)
      -The Death of Optimus Prime

• Do I have to keep up with both current ongoing series to understand any important plot points?
    [/QUOTE]

Have to...no, although RID has two key events whose origins/explanations are given in MTMTE. I recommend reading both though, really love MTMTE and RID is an excellent little political thriller. It's probably the weaker of the two, but it's still very solid. Plus the Dark Cybertron event is basically an RID story featuring MTMTE characters

12. SMOG

Wait, did you just say that Dark Cybertron gets "very strong by the end" ???????????? :eek: 

I thought it was the opposite... started mediocre and devolved even further into a shitstorm of abject awfulness, such that while reading it, I had to periodically punch myself in the head. I'm not sure if this was to punish myself for participating in a crime against good taste, or maybe just to kill enough brain cells so that I might be able to soldier through. :p 

I'm being hyperbolic, but just a little. Not trying to slam you, just save someone from having to read (and ostensibly pay for) Dark Cybertron. It's a civic duty. :) 

zmog

13. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Most people thought it improved by the end, and you're the only one I know of who thought it actually got worse. It became a broader story, so there was more you could nitpick as far as verisimilitude (that's a fuckload of Ammonites, and pictures in the sky wtf?) but it was also a lot more fun.

You had Megatron and Bumblebee road-tripping it, a Titan brawl with the heroes playing tiebreaker, Optimus reclaiming his identity from the insistently undead Nova, Skywarp having a brief flash of narrative importance, Starscream giving Jhiaxus the turmoil treatment, "why universe hate Waspinator," and two deaths and a defection that none of us thought Hasbro would EVER green-light.

Even if it was slightly "Furman-y" I loved Shockwave's moment of reflection being the end of the story, rather than just overpowering him. And as someone who actually mostly likes Steven Moffat, I liked the Moffatesque mechanism by which the "Senator" persona took back over.

IMO the beginning of DC is a slog, worth reading only for the comic relief, but the DC storyline is rewarding at the end. And 12 issues isn't that bad to go through in trade form, even if it was a long few months for us.

14. SMOG

That is the exact opposite phenomenon I've noticed. Most of my friends who also follow the series experienced a similar cumulative effect, where by the end of DarkC, it was just kind of turning pages for the sake of ending it sooner. This feeling was more or less unanimous across six local collector friends, and even my comic store guy, who is a compulsive pollyanna when it comes to his comics, and who loves to disagree with me, agreed that it was sort of awful.

I think part of the problem is that, at the outset, Dark Cybertron has at least the implied promise of actually going somewhere. By the end, it just became a cosmic clusterf*** of cliches, just-because logic, awful dialogue, and painfully ham-handed product placement... all marinated in that sick feeling of realizing that this is what the last 5 months had been building to, and it wasn't going to get any better. Rather than justifying the journey, it instead confirmed that it was all for nothing... a long preamble to a gigantic, unengaging mess.

But was any of that any good? Was any of it convincing? Or exciting? Or sensible? Or smart? Or satisfying? Or well-written?

I'm definitely of the opinion that one or two good lines cannot undo a mountain of badness. :( 

I'm of the opinion that 275 pages of terrible comics is plenty bad, in any format. Just yesterday, I read 19 issues of Brian K. Vaughan's SAGA sitting on my balcony... and it was easy... pleasurable, in fact... even compulsive. And I didn't even think it was as great as people say. But it was eminently readable.

With Dark Cybertron, I found it almost physically painful to finish. I can't even call that hyperbole... it was at the very least some kind of synesthesia brought on by excess banality. I feel that it was an indexical pageant of Everything That's Wrong With Mainstream Comics. Worse still, a mediocre imitation of the "overwrought Big Two comics event"... a grotesque homage to that which is already appalling on its own.

After Dark C, I felt similar to how I did after walking out of Bayformers in 2007... not so much disappointed as actually ashamed to have been a part of it, even as a reader, and begrudging the time and money investment.

If I could un-buy Dark Cybertron... even if the money disappeared into the ether rather than returning to my pocket, I would do so out of pure spite. It actually galls me that my dollars contributed to any statistical analysis that would be counted towards its success.

So yeah, you could say we disagree on the merits of Dark Cyberton. :D 

zmog

15. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Interesting that we noticed opposite trends...I'm going by the TFW reaction threads and just a couple of my local friends. And yeah, I dug it, but it hardly seems worthwhile to go into it when we clearly disagree to such an extent.

I mean, it's not that I want my "fuck yeah" to be your "root canal." I'd rather everyone get a "fuck yeah."

16. SMOG

Yeah, different strokes and all that. It occurs to me that some people actually enjoy what I call the "cosmic clusterfuck" event-style of plotting. Presumably that's why publishers still do it.

I'm just glad it's over, and we can move on to stuff that most people can agree is good (or bad, depending on the series). :) 

zmog

17. gregles

gregles quintesson

I remember the general consensus in the individual threads was that it improved towards dark cybertrons end. I personally think it was deeply flawed and full of make it up as they go along dead universe logic but Roberts moments of character driven humour and tragedy just about keep its head above water. I would recommend it to a new person not for its quality. ( or lack there of) but because in its climax it really gives us some real insight into the current changes in megatron which I don't think you will fully get just by looking them up on wiki

I get why someone would passionately disslike them more than something of equal quality they had no emotional connection to. It's kind of like a bad cover version of a song you love or in the eyes of a G1 purist when a generations or Idw design just isn't close enough for them. There is that old cliched phrase you can't truly hate something unless you once loved it.

18. AB83Rules

AB83Rules Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I enjoyed DC. But I have only 1 yr under my belt in the comic world, I never read comics as a kid, I was more action figures, and stuff like that, video games. Now I love comic books.

As a newbie so to speak still, is the transformers volumes 1-7 worth the time? Since it's mentioned in the IDW G1 reading order for I want it all list.

19. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    IDW is its own continuity.

20. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    I think the last four issues were EXCELLENT. Like...not great MTMTE level excellent but REALLY good. And I don't think the opening issues are bad in anyway, just poorly paced. Once the stories start coming together round issue 7 the series takes a massive leap imo. The main plot is an absolutely fascinating culmination of...the entire IDW run up till then,the big character revlation (the spoilery one) an absolute joy to read, the Livio drawn scens (again spoilers) scenes present a glorious summation of who exactly Optimus Prime is. Even the forced toy ads are considerably less forced. And ooooh the ending. Love the ending.

As a whole, this was to me what AHM thought it was (only comparison I have that really works, given the format of a maxiseries). And when read in one, the first issues work a lot better than they did in singles.

I would also say DC is one of the key texts in the comics atm. Less so for RID season 2, which is a lot more referential to the better (such as they are) elements of the ongoing and of course the first arc of RID season 1, but if you plan to read MTMTE Season 2...you kinda have to. Cause...Reasons. Reasons of massive spoilers

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014