New pictures/review of Fansproject Protector

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ki1983ng, Dec 1, 2010.

1. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i for the longest time used son's of cybertron hot rod with the shadow sycther armor but eventually i did switch to a ko wildrider/black hot rod

• Like Like x 1
  2. metaphorge

metaphorge Decepticon

News Credits:
    I'm still kind of bitter that no one made the armor in matching blue.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Only black rodimus figures I could find was well over $100 so I figured black and blue would be a pretty good combo for an evil rodimus

A blue armor would have been pretty awesome

4. redrum2581

Ebay:
    the cool thing about soc was that they were crystal/clear ver. so it gave him like a firey look

• Like Like x 1
  5. tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice, don’t think I’ve seen that version

6. redrum2581

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Now I want to take back what I was saying the other day this... Something about the black repaint version makes it look great. It is still polishing the turd that is the Classics Rodimus mold. Also the face plates were always... soso.

I will admit that the Sideburn deco is beautiful though. Kind of wished the KO folks would have made a color-matched set for him....

TFCC_SIDEBURN_ARMOR.jpg
    (Had to reupload the pic because GOD DAMN Photobucket is outright cancer on the web now. 3rd Party hosting blocked, click on an image and get a page full of pop-ups and asking if you want to pay them 400$ per year for hosting? Gotta be kidding me. Wish all those links could get purged from TFW. BLECH.)

TFCC has Sideburn at 55$ currently... gotta give it a few more weeks to see if it goes to sub 30... then maybe... Would still need a cheap-ish Protector/Scyther though... =/

• Like Like x 1
  8. Trent

Trent Froody TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Haha! Good times! Old skool FansProject were great. Defender was groundbreaking at the time, even if his knee ratchets turned to dust 10 minutes after you opened him.

In all serious and with hindsight, I'd say FP peaked with SteelCore. That was suc a great figure and was another breakthrough in the posability department for its time.

Anyway, Protector is still my generations Rodimus. The way the alt mode looks keeps it winning to me.

9. tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i got mine on ebay for about $25 so if you don't mind used that might be the way to go for getting sideburn

10. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Conincidentally I was also just only thinking about the Blue Protector Armour just yesterday - I think that thought was inspird by the new POTP Rodimus as he's so like Protector (with the long vehicle nose look).

I'd stil like to see the KO makers do a blue armour and also perhaps some other shade of red to match one of the other Hot Rodimus toys. a grey one wouldn't go amiss either for Wildrider. Also the Sidearm accessory would be nice to have in Blue/Grey and Red/Black and so on too.

Considering that Hot Rodi(mus) only just got a reissue this year and some other not that long before that too it seems woth making some more - even if they are just the Ko version. Heck since there is a Hot Rod KO as well now perhaps the whole set can be made in new colours such as one with purple flame accent or that dark blue accents they've done as another alternative Rodimus deco in more recent time.

I still have the black one on my shelf and i'd like to see more of them still It also crossed my mind that another couple of options of the Commander armour wouldn't go amiss eiither what with the there being several Optimus re-ossues in the last few years - The balck and red deco of the Cloud Optimus would in particular make for a rather striking armour. Another idea that might be really interestng might be to make the armour in silver.

I really enjoyed the white armour and as there is a Black Optimus (that doesn't have many teal bits) a fully black armour might be interesting to have too - or at least one with a different accent deco on it.

But I've not abandoned Classics (regardless of current trends to the contary) and i'd still buy both those sets or KO's there of.

11. tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    having kos of both commander and protector now i can definitely say the protector ko is much higher quality, still feels like a ko compared to the original, but at least everything stays connected (except the helmet, for some reason that doesn't like to stay on the hot rod head), whereas my dia commander ko needed super glue added to the right shoulder and both arms to thicken them up enough to hold

12. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The more recent batches of the commander Trailers are much better the white Commander one is pretty much a perfect fit.
    The older ones were a bit floppy (but fixable). I actually found the legs much easier to get on an off on the Knock offs.

It does also make a difference what you try to fit the armour on - they sit differently on different Optimus/Magnus figures official and otherwise.

But I can't complain that they offered colours FP didn't.

13. tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    very true on the offering of colors. ive got the dia commander ko and have used in on aoe optimus rerelease (arms and shoulders worked the best but still loose), the crappy white and blue magnus ko and the blue kold ko, the white and blue fit about the same. legs are a perfect solid connection, left shoulder and chest are good, left arm is ok/kinda loose and right arm and shoulder fall off if you look at it without fixing (just like the head on my black protector)

14. redrum2581

Ebay:
    i swear this was FPJ niche, they could've only improved upon themselves with kits to make hastakomy better, but when they went to full figures it just seemed like they started fading slowly away, kits was where it was at, they'd have killed Beelzebub and SND if they'd stayed in the kit game

• Like Like x 1
  15. tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreed, personally I tend to prefer upgrade kits over full figures most of the time

16. redrum2581

Ebay:
    in some aspects mos def but in others not so much, like i loved what DW, PE and C+ did for the combiners, i like what bzb and snd are doing for cw prime but i love what mt and mmc have done with their cxd & idw
    _

17. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Their standalone figures, particularly the Warbot series, were the height of their popularity and creativity IMO.

18. redrum2581

Ebay:
    those were pretty cool as well, def still hope to one day grab the ninseticons

19. tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Planet X and mmc are really the only ones I’ve gotten full figures from, it’s gotta be something pretty difinitive (foc dinobots for me) or fairly unique (several reformatted figures) for me to want full figures

20. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Honestly it's some of the best stuff I own tf-wise, vs the upgrade kits which encompassed sp much of the figures that they may as well have been standalone.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1