New pics of SS86 Slag

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Autobot Burnout, Apr 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 XYxInfinity

News Credits:
    UW version's individual 'cons added elbows and a flip it you get a full face or visor option. Also got individual weapons. What more can you ask for? On my end, maybe a telescopic crane for Hook (his Diaclone and G1 version had that).

Funny you asked as I just got to cleaned him just yesterday from my display case.

About the Constructicons being of the same scale as the other combiners, on my side, I'd like the Combaticons to be a bit bigger or on scale with UW Dev. Military vehicles are bigger than civilian vehicles. Construction vehicles are bigger that regulars so........same with Raiden being on the same scale of Devs. The were the same scale in Diaclone/G1 and trains are big azz engines/vehicles.

Just my 10 cents opinion anyways.

• Like Like x 3
  2. lordmegatron64

lordmegatron64 War Starter and Crate God

That under-articulated hollow junk isn't a devy I will ever own. No showing hollow bits, no shortcomings in articulation, proper engineering for transformations. Combiner Wars was nothing short of an abomination for the price point they wanted for it. And combiner wars looked nothing like the g1 counterparts. Granted, I'm already getting the Magic Square Devy. But I know damn well that Hasbro has the capacity and potential to do this and do it correctly.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    You sure about that? Because getting six full size Voyagers alone would be, what, $180 USD? What did CW Devs cost when he came out? (And that’s ignoring Longhaul being way bigger than a Voyager)

Also, there goes TFfans, presumably adult individuals calling toys “abominations.” Also you seem to not actually know much about the toy, otherwise I have no idea what you mean by improperly engineered transformations. Also, even non-combiners have hollow bits. Plus if you got UW Devastator all the articulation shortcomings were rectified. I can’t imagine a mainline Devastator being much better than the UW version. Maybe making Longhaul more normal in regards to proportions?

• Like Like x 2
  4. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    CW had it's problems, and Unite Warriors solved a good chunk of them, but anything made by Hasbro in the foreseeable future is going to be full of hollow bits and shortcomings. the CW price was actually pretty reasonable for 5 (admittedly simplified, because it was pretty obvious they upscaled Deluxes) Voyagers and an Ultra (to grab an outdated size class). Half the team (Boncrusher, Scavanger and Scrapper) are pretty much exactly the originals but larger and with more articulation, and hook wasn't too bad)

Now, Long Haul was totally sacrificed for the combined mode... no excuses there. And I'll never understand what they were going for with Mixmaster.

I think they'd probably nail the articulation and designs, but likely your looking at anything redone by Hasbo today likely being smaller, hollower and with poorer build quality and QC...

...oh, and 20% or so more expensive.

I think he was somewhere 120-150... I don't think they went to $180 until... was it Omega? Maybe Predaking? I feel like Fort Max and Trypticon were lower, but I can't recall for sure....

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 XYxInfinity

News Credits:
    20210421_211553.jpg
    Agreed on Mixmaster. Da Ef? :mad:  Maybe Hasui was OD'd on sake or something. Puffy buffy Longhaul indeed was a necessary sacrifice. He had to carry the entire structure and at the same time be articulated on the thighs.

Oookay. About the hollow parts. If you mean those arms and legs that allow the fold out of the fists, I feel for you too. That trend sucks but hey, to offset costs to lessen the plastic content? At least the UW added the extra elbows and weapons! Elbows are what runs a lean mean fighting machine!

Articulation? You mean figma level articulation for a six component combining humanoid figure? At the cost of $175 ++(JP price quoted)?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    Unite Warriors Devastator is incredibly accurate minus Long Haul and Mixmaster who are still mostly accurate. He is also a fantastic figure all around. I have no need for updated Constructicons. If they did some things better I'm sure I'd bite because I love the Constructicons, but I'd much rather see things like a nice Lio Kaiser, Landcross, Monstructor, etc.

• Like Like x 5
  7. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure Mixmaster's design was inverted because his traditional design would've put the full combiner weight on a truck cab that would have had to split in half, creating a massive structural weakpoint.

So they redesigned him so that the toe could be one singular, monolithic piece, better suited for load-bearing, and without giving him an unposeable G1 mono-leg.

8. SoundwaveSuperior

SoundwaveSuperior "The Scourge of the Sky" (She/They)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Tumblr:
    SPLIT LIP's mention of $180 was estimating the combined individual MSRP of the included figures, to point out that the set was a good deal for its actual price (which was $150, I believe). No Titan has ever had an MSRP above $160.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mardroid

Mardroid Well-Known Member

Thinking about the upcoming Slag, I recently converted my current Slag (Gigapower’s Grassor) back to his robot mode and swapped his head and horns to match the G1 cartoon Slag. (I.e. red head with blue eyes and silver horns. I had originally left him in the toy colours, I.e black and silver head and red horns. Partly due to nervousness about swapping the heads (no need, it was really easy), but mainly because I love the toy colours.). As I knew the new chap would be cartoon colours I figured I’d make this as close as possible for comparison.

It’s not altogether fair as Grassor is on an MP level. He is almost perfect* as a rendition of Slag, and you get loads of options. That being said, one thing that strikes me is just how leggy he is. He’s a big heavy robot, probably the heaviest transformer I own, (and the tallest if you include his hood. Siege Jetfire might be a bit taller at the head) and his dinosaur mode is a big fat boy. His robot mode is proportionally quite lanky though. Not really a criticism (I see in the cartoons the dinobots are depicted as tall but not all that broad proportionally -although this may differ from shot to shot-, with the possible exception of Snarl) but I think I quite like the squatter chunkier proportions of the SS86 Slag.

A Slag with current proportions somewhere between the two, but leaning towards burly, with the shinier darker red of Grassor (won’t happen of course, as that would be expensive, but I’m not keen on the red plastic look in the current pictures. It reminds me of another class figure rather than a leader in that respect) would be my ideal Slag, I think. But just as he is, I think SS86 Slag is a worthwhile interpretation in robot mode.

That triceratops frill really needs to be a wider though and the dinosaur mode seems to need a proportionally smaller head or longer front half of his body, but pictures from a straight side angle might change my mind concerning that.

*The Grassor triceratops hollow jaw bug me a bit. And he isn’t exactly G1 Slag but a cool interpretation if that makes sense. I don’t care about them looking exactly the same as the cartoon versions as those didn’t always look great.

10. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 XYxInfinity

News Credits:
    20210421_210912.jpg
    The UW just flipped it. Easily remolding the now back cab into the front cab recreating the classic look (heck, the color apps of the UW cab) already reflected it. Again, really weird design choices and water under the bridge.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just took a look at Grasser, it's really nice. ...but comparing the two, even one being masterpiece, I like how Hasbro handled the Transformation, especially the Dino Jaw and the tail. Obviously I'd love to have all the screws
    878E62F2-EC82-4824-A006-C7D6651EE198.jpeg hq02-grassor-02.jpg

That's what Hasbro should be doing though. One upping more expensive versions with more elegant simpler but effective transformations.

• Like Like x 7
  12. Baldrick

Baldrick Member

My pre-ordered Slag from Amazon just got pushed back to early October.

13. WinstoBot

WinstoBot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How are you guys able to preorder Slag??? I can’t find it. Help?

14. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 XYxInfinity

News Credits:
    Orders already up? Only got Galvatron.

15. Autobrat Leader

Autobrat Leader Bratwurst in Disguise

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
  17. Michael Payton

Michael Payton Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got that notice too. That's fine. It frees up $50 in August for non-Transformers toys

18. ssjgoku22

ssjgoku22 Well-Known Member

I just ordered Grassor from Show Z Store. It looks amazing. I already have Grindor and he is just epic, friggin humongous. These Gigapower Dinobots are even better than the Fanstoys versions.

It would be nice if Hasbro took inspiration from these designs, but they despise 3P. Plus they're too damn cheap to make something look this cool at a low enough price.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TargetmasterJoe

TargetmasterJoe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Soooo, when are we supposed to hear about Slag officially? Next month when Hasbro will (probably) host a livestream dedicated to Studio Series?

20. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ... Sooo how much did they cost you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.