New MPM Reveal: MPM-11 Ratchet

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by williammmw, May 27, 2020.

1. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

I just wanna make sure I understand your point...

You're saying that a transforming toy that has to adhere as much as possible to both a robot and a vehicle mode should be comparable to a sculpted statue with one form?

• Like Like x 3
  2. XIII

XIII TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I am saying one looks good and the other not so much. Given the choice, I choose the one that looks good. At least to me. It is about the character, not the gimmick.

To your point. I work in the toy industry. I know how difficult movie transformers can be. believe me, I know. There are severe limitations when you try to bring a faked CG transformation that has parts that morph and appear and disappear out of no where into the physical realm. I deal with this stuff all day. Just not transformers. ...I don't expect you to know any of that about me :)  But since there are 3rd parties that are doing it right, it is very disappointing that Takara keeps missing the target lately. If this looked at all good or accurate (to me) I wouldn't care if it transformed or not or if it was $80 or $400. It just misses the mark to the point that I am not compelled to replace a "visually" superior figure that I already own and fills the roll that I want. The only reason that I bring up the transforming or non-transforming part is to articulate that I do not care if they transform or not so long as the bot mode looks good and to preemptively address it as there are so many people here that believe that transformers that do not transform are not transformers and try to tear into people that care more about the character than the gimmick.

By the way. Movie Shokwave does not transform. Many movie and G1 Cybertronians do not transform. Just saying.

3. rodimusconvoy

rodimusconvoy Well-Known Member

1. Too expensive for what it is.
    2. Lack of detail for almost 190.

Heck, I think reason 2 could be self contained within reason 1.

4. Adam Haberman

Adam Haberman Prime of Primes

It’s interesting. I preordered this guy as soon as the preorder went up on Target.com. Just got charged for it today. Says on the website that it would be available in early October. Wonder why I was charged now. It’s not a problem, it’s just curious.

5. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Well, you raise excellent points. Also pretty cool that you are in that industry; which I'd imagine further makes you understand the constraints that a company like Hasbro/TT has to adhere to, over say a Unique Toys?

For what you bring up in your last post, the non-necessity of it being able to transform, then obviously the clear winner for you is Iron Warrior; he looks phenomenal and is more or less a 3D toy render of the CGI model!

For myself, and the rest of the population who bought into the toy line gimmick from day 1 back in '84 (or further if you consider the pre-"Transformers" era), we are in it for the transformation aspect of it. Always have and always will. The price to pay however in this day and age, is marrying the accuracy to the on-screen-wizardry where stuff just disappeared or vanished upon transforming. (as you stated too, it's darn near impossible)

Happy that both exist however, so we all can find something that brings us the joy we are searching for in this hobby.

• Like Like x 2
  6. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

I asked this earlier, but never got a reply....

Is pre-ordering necessary if I live near 4 different Targets all less than 20 minutes away?
    Does it get me the figure earlier, or guarantee it or something?

7. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So much effort, to accurately depict ugly

• Like Like x 1
  8. rodimusconvoy

rodimusconvoy Well-Known Member

To call yourself a Masterpiece you actually NEED to be one. Perfect Robot mode, perfect alternate mode and a clear representation of the media you showed in.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Powerstomp

Powerstomp Well-Known Member

Still looks mistransformed. Shoulders look off. 

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mr.Deflok

Mr.Deflok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Everytime I see new pics I can hear Ratchet say "the boy's pheromone levels suggests he wants to mate with the MPM"

• Like Like x 2
  11. XIII

XIII TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    yes, happy they both exist. don't get me wrong, I prefer that they transform but it is so hard to get the movie designs right so with movie characters, I let it slide. bonus if they do transform but they still have to look good.

G1 stuff is another matter. Must transform.

I'm done. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  12. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    That's one reason, and it's based on the takara price, which is not what most of us will be paying for it, so it's sort of one VERY shaky reason.
    This whole obsession with the "masterpiece" name. You are holding it to the standard of literal perfection? Wait, it has to be TWO perfect things? You're living in a dream dude.

• Like Like x 3
  13. AndroidAnchovy

AndroidAnchovy Dorque Extraordinaire

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Gotta throw my pennies in too:

It looks pretty much fine except for the bars behind the head and rthe weird shoulders.

If the design isn\'t accurate, that means it isn\'t done, so don\'t release it yet. 

Added parts counts to inflate the price < Lesser parts count with a more accurate figure.

Wrong is worse than bad. Bad can at least be funny, this is just frustrating.

• Like Like x 3
  14. KingStyle

KingStyle Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Are there differences between the Target one and the Japanese one?

15. AVOlion035

AVOlion035 Member

YouTube (Legacy):
    I'm not a huge fan of his design. His vehicle mode has a lot of robot junk hanging from the bottom; not a good example of the term "masterpiece". In fact, most of the movie masterpieces have been either weirdly designed like Ironhide or rushed like Optimus prime. (getting mpm-4 to seal into vehicle mode is a nightmare because his parts wern't correctly measured; which is why if you do manage to transform him to truck mode, he looks a little deformed) :(  Barricade is probably the best of the MPMS :) 

16. highlander3000

highlander3000 Jump around!

News Credits:
    I just got MPM-03 Bumblebee. That one is great. Barricade and Jazz are on the way so I look forward to playing around with those. Bumblebee is my favorite so far. Excellent in both modes and the transformation is not overly complicated. I haven't transformed Prime yet but he looks majestic in robot mode. Megatron was a lot of fun too.

So far, I think the MPM line is the most fun MP line to transform and play around with. The BW ones look amazing but feel very fragile. The first wave of G1 MPs were similarly fun. The newer G1 figures seem much more fiddly (like Hound and Sunstreaker).

I am looking forward to MPM Ratchet and Starscream.

• Like Like x 2
  17. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

LOL!

18. CobraKai

CobraKai Well-Known Member

Ratchet been working on his gains. If only SS Ratchet’s fenders bent upward like this.

19. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    Too much kibble hanging under the alt mode and too expensive in Japan.  I might pay the US price but as I\'m in Japan, I\'ll wait for some nice Chinese people to have a ganders and see what they come up with.

20. Venomus Rodimus

Venomus Rodimus Well-Known Member

Agreed, but it doesn't bother me since I don't buy MP figures. Studio Series is good enough for me and my budget.

• Like Like x 1