New materials for advancing aesthetics of transformation

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by protohuman, Nov 7, 2019.

1. protohuman

protohuman Save the whales

Hey folks, I am curious what you all think about alternative materials to out traditional plastic and diecast metal components. Aside from the recent fleshy anthropomorphic reproductive protrusions. I remember the comicon (RIP) where Beast Machine's episode 1 debuted, the aftermath panel followed the typical "you ruined everything directive." One commenter stood out to me more than any other, he voiced his opinion on weither the artists considered transform-ability of the product line into the actual character design of the Maximals. One of the quin-heads responded overwhelming with the reinforcement of this being a primary objective to Transformers character design. However once the toys came out... well that was an entirely different story. Three versions of Primal and three Cheetors, none of which were faithful to the animation.
    I always think of ways these characters could fulfill the toy likeness requirement, even though I memory-blocked most of the series. What if the toys incorporated silicon panels that stretched and snapped into required position? Or if they had compressible components which could be inserted into another for mass-shifting? Would they even still be Transformer toys?

2. kronatron

kronatron Well-Known Member

I recently saw the review for UT's Dragoon (3P not-LK Megatron), the transformation was akin to their Peru Kill, both great examples of the robot basically inverting itself from the alt mode. So I think the engineering potential is certainly there.

That review immediately gave me hope for a 3P masterpiece version of BM Primal, one that could potentially have a bunch of technorganic bits fold in on themselves for great aesthetics in both modes.

As for materials, the old Jurassic Park figures from the 90's had a fleshy skin, very detailed. That would go great on these, IMO.

I've also considered LCD strips a cool idea, or repurposed motherboard material for an outer shell.

3D printing filaments come in all forms. It'd be funny if one of them was an organic polymer that after you exposed it to water could sprout little chia shrubs, hahaha.

3. protohuman

protohuman Save the whales

Thanks for recommending that video/review, I would have never seen it otherwise because I gloss over all bayverse. Dragoon indeed has great engineering. I still question if a show accurate BM Primal is possible without a ton of exposed hinges and gaps from said panels. Unfortunately organic polymers are a pipe dream beyond natural latex and cosmetics. We phased out of using many of them after petroleum allowed us to take advantage of cheap synthetic polymers that were deemed "more sanitary."