New Masterpiece Skyfire In The Works?

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Starfire22, Mar 25, 2021.

1. SquishyOH

SquishyOH Well-Done Member

Wouldn't MP-12 (or MP-12+) work just fine for this? Skyfire/Jetfire has some "size inconsistencies" during his original cartoon appearances. Mass shifting, bad animation, forcing different toy lines into a single cartoon, call it what you will. The supposed mini-figs would be scaled to drive up Jetfire's alt-mode ramp and into the plane. That would make them the size to fit into Skyfire's hand. Comparing bot modes, you'll need a MP-12 bot for MP-Jetfire to be able to re-create that scene.

Those alt mode sizes are all over the place. I'm much happier that they make the bots scale properly rather than the alt-modes. A real F-15 versus a tractor trailer matching in alt-mode would put Starscream 2 or 3 times taller than Optimus Prime in bot-mode.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 Well-Known Member

Can't add or subtract anything that wasn't there in the first place. Siege Jetfire is another "mechanimal" figuratively speaking.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Retroheavy

Retroheavy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Yeah. Skids is such an odd release. It’s like he should have been MP-14 but takara lost the mold and just recently found it.

I just transformed my MP prowl and I’m still impressed with how fluid the transformation is and how solid both modes are. Everything tabs together as it should, friction joints are tolerance well, looks great in both modes. Pushing toon accuracy doesn’t bother me, I prefer it, but it seems like they are pushing complexity and loosing quality. I KNOW they know how to make things tab together properly and ratchets not fail the first time they are used or pinned joints that don’t get Thanos snapped out of existence.

Off the top of my head, MP-39 had stress marks or breakage on the wind shield. Other than that he’s a pretty fantastic figure IMO.

MP-44 had issues with paint chipping, ratchet knees, bent antennas, and the area around the fuel tanks don’t tab properly.

MP-45 paint chipping, loose hips and doesn’t tab together well in alt-mode.

MP-47 apparently you’re lucky if this guy isn’t broken out of the box.

All of these figures (from a design/engineering perspective) are amazing. It’s the production and execution that they seem to keep dropping the ball on.

I think this skyfire looks pretty awesome and hope that he turns out great. All I want is a fun transformation and everything to work as it should otherwise we are all getting scammed.

They really need to knock MP-52 out of the park for me to even consider purchasing this and not just waiting for an inevitable KO that’s potentially improved.

sorry for the rant. I’ve been drinking.

• Like Like x 2
  4. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

Heh. That looks terrible.

They could easily upsize the Siege mold and make some of the parts in die-cast and call it a day.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Optimus Prime23

Optimus Prime23 Lighting our Darkest Hour

News Credits:
    But they didn't. And I'm glad.

G1 toon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Like Like x 19
  6. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Wellest-Known Member

News Credits:
    Guys, Seige isn’t that good! Most people aren’t putting it on a masterpiece shelf. I’d take the chunky mouthless grey block of a prototype over the Seige version. It’s 2 different scales and styles.

• Like Like x 11
  7. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks good! Even though it's a rough prototype, it's not difficult at all to visualize how it'll look with their recent design sensibilities and I'd say he'll easily be better looking than Phoenix. He'll almost certainly have a waist swivel since the siege version did and just look at how bad the screw holes are on Phoenix while Takara has been doing a pretty good job of hiding them of late.

That said, I won't be switching. Phoenix was expensive but I'm sure this guy will be at minimum $400 and that's just too much for my taste - these are still toys for me and I just don't like spending that kind of money on a toy (which is not to say that I never have, just that I don't like to). I don't like "upgrading" even on the smaller more affordable figures (I have been known to do it from time to time, however) and I'm definitely not going to do it here. I look forward to seeing the progress on it and everybody's pictures once they get him, though.

Also, sidenote: there's the weirdest typo in this thread and it's super prevalent. Almost all of you seem to be misspelling "jet" as "sky" and calling Mr Jetfire here "Skyfire." Even weirder, I've noticed the same thing in the cartoon. It's so prevalent, in fact, that I'm pretty sure they never once got his name right. So weird. At least the comic was always free of that mistake.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ACMagnus

ACMagnus Phantom Thief

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I mean, it's exactly what it set out to be. As much as I like Siege Skyfire, I feel like people put it on too high of a pedestal. It's not even the best Commander class figure IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  9. turbobluestreak

turbobluestreak Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm very excited for Takara to release an MP Skyfire. This looks like a very old prototype, he's posed next to MP-10 and Takara usually shows off CAD renders first nowadays. There is a lot of work or changes that need to happen for me to be happy with this guy, as it stands this does not complement the current toon accurate direction of the MP line. Talked myself out of buying Fanstoys Phoenix twice because it wasn't close enough to the cartoon model, I hope Takara doesn't make me regret that decision.

Skyfire_1.png

tbs

• Like Like x 4
  10. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Quick as Lightning

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Ok, I’ll buy it.

I mean, duh.

• Like Like x 7
  11. octobotimus

octobotimus Please, do tell me how much I hate things

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    MP-44 was $450.

I sometimes wonder if people read the price tags on things they buy....

• Like Like x 3
  12. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Mini figure means a figure the size of the humans that came with MP-44 or the Spike that came with MP-47.

I really like this comparison because it shows how much better Takara are at achieving the geometry of the G1 designs. Look at the angles on that chest of the official, so interesting and awesome seeing them realised in 3D form, rather than following the more conventional shapes FT went with. Not to mention the flares of the forearms, the various angles of the knees.

@DirkManus is totally right about the Art Deco influence, and sometimes it's not until it's truly in 3D form that we can see these things. This is such an interesting part of the Masterpiecisation process!

• Like Like x 14
  13. igniz1984

igniz1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What a fugly and bland looking figure. I can't even imagine how much takara is going to want for it. Glad I picked up a siege Jetfire with better details for 47 bucks

14. GAUGE

GAUGE ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    try $599.99

• Like Like x 1
  15. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Proud member of the Cult of Scorponok

News Credits:
    I'm thinking MSRP of ¥50,000 at most, which means under ¥35,000 (roughly $320 USD) at retail. Not cheap by any means, but nothing like the silly prices some people like to falsely attribute to TakaraTomy.

$450 MP44... LMAO

• Like Like x 8
  16. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 Well-Known Member

More or less MP44 range. Maybe next June 2022ish?

• Like Like x 1
  17. octobotimus

octobotimus Please, do tell me how much I hate things

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    766E4E11-1B13-4866-BA5A-406162395139.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  18. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    The MP-10 comparison is probably there because that one has the bigger installed owner base than MP-44, so more people with the former as point of size reference.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

Glad I got Phoenix when new, that's a hell of a deal when compared to how much this is likely to cost and no QC issues on Phoenix either. I've all but given up hope on Takara being able to produce MPs without issues at this point.

20. pezley

pezley Well-Known Member

It looks perfect... It may not be to everyones tastes but it looks exactly how it should if we go by the toon. And with Jetfire, thats all we have to go by.

• Like Like x 2