New Masterpiece Characters?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by JediFlaherty, Oct 28, 2016.

?

Would you be interested in a Masterpiece-exclusive new character?

1. Yes -- surprise me TT!

14 vote(s)
    42.4%
  2. No -- only new old guys!

19 vote(s)
    57.6%
  1. JediFlaherty

JediFlaherty Well-Known Member

Let's say Takara Tomy put out a Masterpiece from an existing mold (no retooling), but with a unique deco and name not based on a previous release -- basically, a Masterpiece-exclusive new character.

Would you be interested?

2. Rushin Panther

Rushin Panther Secret Police

There's too many awesome characters that need a masterpiece treatment that we haven't gotten to start thinking of totally new guys out of the blue. I mean we did get Loud Pedal and Exhaust and Road Rage is basically an unknown but they were all based on existing toys.

3. GoldbugTM2

GoldbugTM2 Right Hand Of Primus

Might be cool, but the price point would be too high for a brand new character. The point of MP is to achieve a 100% show accurate transforming toy. Something revisiting older characters in that fashion equates to fitting a square peg in a round hole--hence the high pricepoint/ (sometimes) more complicated engineering. Creating a brand new character would not necessarily be that complicated now that Transformers has a better balance between art & toy.

The closest thing to your idea that would be plausible would maybe be a MP Windblade. Or perhaps an MP line of the 13 Primes. (I would be down for that!)

4. Field94

Field94 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So... what they are already kinda doing with the Diaclone repaints? Tigertrack, Exhaust, Road rage and Delta Magnus didn't necessarially 'exist' as characters prior to their masterpiece incarnations. And thats not even getting into how CliffyBee (red Bumble), the rain makers and whatever other background characters and packaging oddities are gonna start coming out the woodwork.

5. Fenrir Zero

Fenrir Zero Permanently Retired (1984-2020)

TakaraTomy is already producing characters that were previously exclusives (e-HOBBY, etc.) in the past. And with their library of Japanese Generation One characters that have yet received any toy treatment... I would not object to them turning one of those characters into a Masterpiece exclusive. Even if it does not tie into what I want for my collection.

6. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

Screw that! Give me Cliffjumper and Hoist!

7. Fenrir Zero

Fenrir Zero Permanently Retired (1984-2020)

Never! I will give you one piece of coal, and you will use it while you work for Starscream on Christmas Eve!

• Like Like x 2
  8. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Following proto

I would love this! I often feel like Transformers is stagnating somewhat, I feel like the only new non-comic characters with a lasting impression that we've gotten in a while have been from Animated, and maybe Breakdown and Knock out from Prime. Bring on the new characters! We especially need more Decepticons.

9. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

I'll pass, lol. I just upgraded jobs to prevent that.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

Naw,l'm liking the Diaclone\G2 repaints. Speaking of, where is my blue G2 Grimlock?

11. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    With your Masterpiece V2 Grimlock and your throne made of gold.

12. King Nergil

King Nergil Ruler of a lost kingdom

I'd buy one more seeker redeco: Shitstorm, where are you? :D  (Come on, Dark Seeker, don't let me down!)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  13. usernamedustin

usernamedustin Banned

There is a lot of stuff to finish before they start creating new characters.

14. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Remember the Megatronia comic? This is Takara you are talking about. Dont tempt them :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  15. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    How about MP Starscream redeco in Action Master Thundercracker colours? :D 

16. Salvanis

Salvanis Probably not a true fan.

I think I posted once, months or years ago in the middle of a thread dozens of pages long, that I'd like to see a wholly new Masterpiece figure not based on an existing character or mold. Just completely original Masterpiece-quality design and engineering from top to bottom, to see what Takara and Hasbro are capable of when not restrained by having to adhere to any particular source. For the most part I still feel this way, although I agree with the sentiment that there are still quite a few classic characters that need/deserve MP treatment first.

17. SgtLemon

SgtLemon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Masterpiece Alpha Bravo please.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jbwkkl

jbwkkl Wrecker for life

I completely agree that there a MANY characters I'd like to see get the MP treatment first, however I picked "YES" only because I'd be willing to see what TT might provide. A new character could potentially be easier to provide versus needing to go through licensing agreements to use certain alt-modes.

19. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't understand... They're already doing that with some of the Diaclone guys. Loudpedal and Exhaust are brand new characters.

20. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    For the "Transformers Masterpiece" line, I'd say keep it to existing characters or homages to toy only figures. When I see "Transformers Masterpiece" I think of it as a "Hall of Fame" line that takes pre-existing popular or pretty obscure toys/characters from the TF line's history and gives them one hell of a revamped and perfect (or as close as they can get even though there have been a few stumbles) toy representation while staying true to the original model as possible.

Now I would not be opposed to Takara maybe creating a new "Non-Transformers" line with Masterpiece quality robots of original design without being based on previous characters, toys, or any pre-existing line. Don't know if I would buy any, but there could be a market out there for something like this.