New massive dinosaur (saurapod) found in Argentina

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VictoryLeo19, May 17, 2014.

1. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

Not sure how realistic this story is, because some decent dinosaur pages aren't covering it. But here's the link:

Argentine fossil biggest dinosaur ever: scientists* - NY Daily News

Seems like it's a good size bigger than Argentinosaurus. I'd be interested to see how complete the actual skeleton is.

Lord I spelled sauropod wrong in the title. Not my day.

2. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    It doesn't look so big compared to that... man playing soccer/football?

It's cool and all that there are even bigger dinos being found, but I'd be far more impressed if it was something besides a sauropod and from somewhere besides South America. I feel like I've heard "New Argentina Sauropod Biggest Ever" a dozen times already.

Attached Files:

3. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

Ya I don't get that image at all, because that scale is certainly not accurate. I saw that too, and it kind of added to the "generic picture inserted for online article" vibe I got from the whole thing. Especially considering the femur was a huge visual selling point for the main article, and not sporadic vertebrae.

4. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Interesting. I kinda want to see the completed skeleton too. I think it's amazing we're still finding stuff all over the place. Now....if only we could search the deep parts of the oceans....

5. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Might be roughly the same size as Amphicoelias, the largest and longest diplodocid to have ever existed. But since this is a Titanosaur we're dealing with, it might be shorter in length.

6. Shortwave

Shortwave Autobot fembot

Cant whate till the findings are shown.

7. Ionus

Ionus Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure this Dino didn't play soccer. If that is what Argentina is planning to win this years World Cup they will be sorely disappointed. Dino-sorely disappointed.

8. MetalicGrunt

MetalicGrunt Rust Proof Commando

News Credits:
    There was a video just released a few days ago of a deep dive ROV showing an animal graveyard on the ocean floor, to include a dead whale shark - the video is very very freaky.

We just need to make sure we don't wake up any Kauji

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    In Argentina by law you must insert a reference to soccer/football somewhere in every scientific presentation in order to keep people interested.

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    How fitting they found another dinosaur during the opening weekend of Godzilla.

11. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    well, fitting for a 'biggest ever' dino.

that slide is terrible. But it's not the dinosaur they're talking about in the article.

That's actually Leinkupal, a new dinosaur just published a few days ago. It's a diplodocid sauropod, the first diplodocid known from South America, and the most recent diplodicid known to date.

Someone at the NY Daily News obviously got a bit sloppy and mixed the two up. For more info about the giant dinosaur you're better off just going to their source at the BBC.

BBC News - 'Biggest dinosaur ever' discovered

It's surprising that they're announcing this while it's unpublished and the bones are apparently still coming out of the ground. There's no doubt it's a giant, but it remains to be seen just how it compares to all the other 'biggest evers'. At least they seem to have relatively complete material to work with, so there won't be too much extrapolation involved in determining the size.

I've become more sceptical about the early estimates they put out when talking about big dinosaurs. Since I've been interested in dinosaurs, there's been a series of new 'biggest evers' every couple of years. A few of them later turn out to be overhyped 'big fish' stories.