New listing for Studio series Devastator Boxset

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Jtprime17, May 16, 2020.

1. st.ranger

st.ranger Emperor of Destruction

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have already four members twice, one for individual robot mode, second for Devastator.

I will be so mad if this boxset will be better even in one thing than actual release.

• Like Like x 2
  2. EnerJohn

EnerJohn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I mean the whole figure just looks terrible. Really disappointing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dsprks75

dsprks75 Robot Enthusiast

News Credits:
    I just want my Overload!!

• Like Like x 4
  4. Jtprime17

Jtprime17 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I’m going to say this one last time.

The RRP for one Devastator box set is £403.99. That is the suggested retail price Hasbro UK is saying retail stores should charge for each Devastator.

NDA toys who is a Wholesaler/distributor of Hasbro Products in the UK, is selling a case of 2 of these things for £560.86 wholesale.

Here is NDA’s listing for MPM Jazz.
    Transformers Masterpiece Mpm-9 Autobot Jazz Wholesale
    It’s the same situation. The RRP for one is £87.99, a case of 4 for £243.07 wholesale.

The price of £403.99 ( around $489 USD) is pretty nuts. Even if it retailed here in U.S. for something between $349.99-$399.99 and with the supposed size of the box of this thing. It has to include more than just the 8 core figures.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  5. Cykill 1

Cykill 1 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a pretty expensive set, but in it\'s defense, you get about 8 figures, where the original had 6.The figures also can transform individually and overall look a lot better than the originals.  I would like to see it in the box and next to the original and see the comparison.  If I had the extra money, I would pick this up.  Two hundred and thirty pounds is about three hundred American, which I think sounds reasonable to me. I don\'t think that they should repaint it.  

6. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Expected this to happen. Still happy I bought them all as they came though.

7. f-primusunicron

f-primusunicron Unicron Herald BladeZero

News Credits:
    No. Mixmaster is in fact recolored like the rpm/speed stars (diecast hotwheel type of vehicles) repaint. A white truck with orange drum

8. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Then, I stand corrected and that's asinine. There's no excuse for eight figures at $260.00 to go for nearly $500.00. There's no inflation that high between last year and now, and now and a few months down the road. This is utterly ridiculous and shame on them. Insane.

No. Eight figures costs you $260.00 once Overload is finally released. Unless they're adding a bunch of accessories (real, good, legit ones...like an in-scale Skids and Mudflap plus whatever else was dangling off of him...) there's no excuse to charge nearly double the cost for the same item you can go pick up off the shelves right now. (Sort of.)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    The only way i could see this being over 300$ was if it included the twins and a pyramid cardboard or model.

• Like Like x 3
  10. optimus909

optimus909 Well-Known Member

$400?! they must be adding some extra figures to the set in order to justify such a ludicrous price.

11. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

I think for the price the base assumption most reasonably starts at that this set has more features than the individual release; whether that’s paints apps, added accessories or something else is simply the guess.

If that’s the case I think that’s a great approach for a set — make it a premium version to differentiate it from the regular release with enough value that anyone who has bought the original release may consider buying a second version, and priced high enough that it’s not simply a substitute for the first version.

If you make a better version only priced slightly higher you peeve the customers who may have preferred to buy a slightly more expensive gift set. They are relatively equal purchases. But make it significantly more expensive and even if you prefer the extras it comes with the significant price difference makes them significantly different, not relatively equal, purchases.

12. backhawkdown

Without knowing what’s actually in the set, it’s kind of baseless to say it’s a ludicrous price. It’s certainly a high price.

13. Mercutio

Mercutio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I see what you mean about the listing. I definitely hope there's an error there, otherwise that's an absurd price. £400 / $500 would be twice what the figure is worth, and closer to the price of a Haslab crowdfunded figure like Unicron, not a mass market retail release.

I don't care if they include an entire 5-foot-high pyramid with star harvester to scale with Devastator; it's still a stupid decision. Hasbro would be pricing out the majority of their potential customers if they actually charge that much. Lots of people want a box set of these figures. Far fewer people would be willing to pay double the price of the individual releases.

I hope Hasbro is smart about this and there's some mistake somewhere. This would already be one of the biggest, most expensive sets they've ever put out. Why make it twice as difficult to sell for no reason?

...The "original" what? G1 Devastator? Titan-class Devastator? This set doesn't have much in common with those figures besides the name.

14. optimus909

optimus909 Well-Known Member

But what can they do to justify $400?

15. LDM

LDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We all know the truth...

EVERYTHING IS CHROME! WITH STICKERS! AND UNPAINTED, MINIATURES OF SKIDS AND MUDFLAP!

• Like Like x 3
  16. f-primusunicron

News Credits:
    EDITED with some ideas by some other members

lets say they add premium paint to each one, how much would that alone increase the price? 5 for each one?7-10 on some of the bigger ones?

if they improved rampage elbows(Which COULD BE DONE WITHOUT AFFECTING THE TRANSFORMATION) that alone would be a great addition(like takara did with their cw devastator) but i doubt it

improved knees for combined mode(would require some extensive retooling but i think it could be done

improved mixmaster with neck joint

a better piece for the neck grinder maybe? a gun for mixmaster third mode? that wouldn't be more than 5 bucks in total given a different neck grinder would still replace the current one already available with overload

still no more than $300

maybe add a 9th member(left hand bulldozer as an option) that would still be just lets say 30(dlx price+ premium paint)

still $60 that couldn't be justified even if they included both twins given they would be about only one deluxe in mass

unless it includes weapons, improved articulation , the twins, the BALLS, some alternate grinder piece for attack mode, and super premium paint, i don't think that price can be justified

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  17. analogue

analogue 01110111 01100101 01100010 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Redo Mixmaster so Devastator's head could move, that would add some more value.

18. f-primusunicron

News Credits:
    yeah that would also go in the "improved articulation" part

honestly for me if they could make as someone said a deco like back road brawl rotf mixmaster, i think it would look great an entire devastator set in g1 colors if done properly, people cant just compare the legion, didnt given it was limited by size and part count to make each individual AND combined mode work with the g1 color scheme

19. backhawkdown

Before I can suggest what they can do, we have to agree that the $150 additional cost does not require an $150 in physical goods. Being premium or limited has value and it’s up to the consumer to decide how much value those aspects have to them. The cost of manufacturing a luxury product isn’t necessarily proportional to it’s price, but you charge more because the idea of the product (brand, availability) gives it value beyond the price to manufacture it.

if we agree with that, then I would argue simply being a premium version (I’m supposing it is for my argument) has significant value if I’m a collector who likes premium figures. In this case, if we are talking about realistic paint apps, weathering, details that match the on screen look, if that was important to me I’d pay an extra $100 just for that if this would be the only way to get a Devastator in that deco. Add in a few extra parts that make it even more screen accurate and you easily make up the remaining $50 difference. And if it’s limited in quantity? That has value too.

I think it’s real easy to get to $400, but that’s simply dependent on if you value what they do. I wouldn’t find value in a $400 set regardless; I am buying them individually for my boy to play with. But if I loved the character and the movie (I like both, don’t love either), and this set ended up very screen accurate I could see where it would be worth $400 easily.

20. f-primusunicron

News Credits:
    and thats the reason i was happy when botcon died

• Like Like x 3