New Line Next Year: WFC?? Micro/Battlemasters, 2019 MPM & Studio Series Info

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by catz, May 10, 2018.

1. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    So wait, there are 6 characters in the Bumblebee movie? I was told it was 4.

2. lonewolf96

lonewolf96 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I forgot to add that hornet and couger aren't confirmed for the bee movie. But yes its starting to look like there are more than four.

Head count / + potential characters

Bumblebee
    Starscream
    Optimus - questionable
    Red light - is this the red gtx or something else
    Blue light - unknown hero is this one of the duo cons or an autobot

Possible characters

Hornet
    Couger
    Blue decepticon - ??
    Red gtx
    Mercenary - raider

3. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    IT's hard to tell what's going to happen to Studio Series now. All I want are Barricade, Sideswipe and Soundwave. Don't care much for the others. But I would like to know what's going to happen to the Voyagers and Leaders of next year.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wilson Studios

Wilson Studios Active Member

If they make ROTF skids and mudflap, they'd be like legends class because of the scale... Already I feel SS Bumblebee was small but this is a whole other thing.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Wilson Studios

Wilson Studios Active Member

I agree with you on barricade. He deserves a SS treatment, but I hope we get one from his TLK look. The TF5 toy was based off his concept art and not the ILM files, so with Studio series, they have access to ILM's files and I hope they make a TF1 and TF5 barricade in the near future.

6. YoungPrime

YoungPrime DJD VET

News Credits:
    Going TRU's route won't help Hasbro either. Charging $20 for Generations Dlx's would only lead to most of them sitting in the clearance isle in Target and Wal-Mart or shipping to ROSS, TJMAXX or right next to the Remaining Trypticon's at Ollie's save for 2 or 3 must have's of a line that are of greatest quality.

If they want these figures to be successful then they need to start listening more.

- Hell half of those figures that end up at a discount store wouldn't be there if they were shipped to Wal-Mart's and Targets in area's that never got them.

- Next is quality. The word of mouth or hype for this Titan Predaking set is very mixed. Which is bad news for Hasbro. Other than it's height being 4 inches lower than many would've preferred, Trypiticon didn't have anywhere near as many complaint's as those blocky individual Predacon's are getting right now. So if cancelling future Titan class figures and limiting the other size classes are a result of their ineptness, then I'm sure 3rd Party will be glad to hear it...

-That last Bay Movie being crap doesn't help the overall moral for the Transformers brand either. Even reports of Star Wars merch just sat thanks to the crap that was TLJ despite making over a billion.

Hasbro better get it together. If they wanna really piggy back off of Marvel Studio's then they need start by hiring Studios, producers and Directors who actually give a crap about TF Lore. The MCU has already passed $3B this year with just 2 movies with one more coming in July. While merch sales are through the roof!

Now did they get there because of Kevin Fiege flipping hardcore Marvel fans the bird every interview for a film like Bay???? Exactly! Karma is catching up now.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  7. orangeitis

orangeitis All orange, all the time. Looks infectious.

News Credits:
    Why would you? PotP was just supposed to be a year-long line from the very beginning. Therefore, wouldn't Hasbro be on the same schedule for WFC this year as they were on last year for PotP?
    Which is the perfect stepping stone they'd need to take to prepare for bigger risks, no?

• Like Like x 2
  8. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    You might need to be a bit clearer, especially when quoting a post from some time back, as I’ve no idea what you’re alluding to.

• Like Like x 1
  9. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

This may be subjective, but Metrotitan has fucking ugly colours. The Combiner Wars Generation 2 Menasor which has equally ugly colours shelf warmed... Yeah... what a great idea to pay homage to an ugly exclusive!

• Like Like x 1
  10. orangeitis

News Credits:
    I only quoted the part of your post that I was addressing. Does that part not show up on your end...?

In any case, it's the "And thus much less risky than a $150 toy." part.

11. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    I'm afraid Ii'm still not sure I follow. A leader class toy is much less risky financially than a titan class toy, so it's a perfect stepping stone for bigger risks? Are you saying that the success of leader class toys would encourage Hasbro to make more Titans? If so, I'm not sure Hasbro would share your logic.

12. orangeitis

News Credits:
    Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

Keep in mind that their pattern seems to be to test out the waters for toy concepts of popular characters by doing things on a smaller scale first. FoC Bruticus being a testbed for the return of the combiner gimmick, for instance, which gave rise to Combiner Wars, a year-and-a-half toyline not too long after. The Generations Brainstorm done the same with the Headmaster gimmick in Titan's Return.

So Hasbro already shares that logic. Whether they will do that or not with Metrotitan is ultimately unclear, but IMHO it's a safe bet.

13. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Did Hasbro actually say that those two examples were tests for future toylines, or is that supposition upon your part? Your use of 'seems' in the first sentence suggests the latter, but it's good to check.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bob Schoonover

Bob Schoonover Poorly-Known Member

News Credits:
    There was a quote somewhere during the early parts of CW about FOC Bruticus - my memory is that it wasn't a test so much as a, "whoa, they do like those!"

• Like Like x 3
  15. AlienRadio

AlienRadio Avatar of Entropy

This is more or less the case.
    I think Hasbro have Increasingly been driven by experimentation and fan demand as far as generations go. Classics was a throwaway stopgap line to bridge product lines. It sold extremely well, and convinced Hasbro There was a market and value in their OLD (10 years since the end of G2) IP. They tested the waters with universe and generations, building up the line to see what it would support. Thrilling 30 was probably the throw everything at the wall experimentation phase. Up to that point CHUG releases had been driven by the characters (because the 84 - 86 cast was largely gimmick free when considering characters suitable for release as Deluxes, Hasbro's strongest pricepoint). Thrilling 30 expanded beyond deluxe, voyager and legends (added in universe 2.0 but in a haphazard experimental way, Inferno being the only new voyager mold in universe 2.0,yet there are 3 new Ultra class figures with light and sound gimmicks, legends give use SOME minibots and a random selection of other characters ); Generations now had Leader class and Titan class figures, and titans were obviously another experiment with the micro play pattern begun with the original cyberverse figures.

If Metroplex hadn't been successful I doubt we would have seen another Titan, but there was a video game out that featured him Prominently, while also putting some classic gimmicks front and centre; combiners, dinobots,etc. So fall of cybertron gave us deluxe Combaticons forming Bruticus, to see if the problems that had prevented Hasbro doing them before were solvable (ensuring all components are available to retail shoppers, reducing the amount of lose-able kibble) and lessons were learned (torsos need to be voyagers, separate hands and feet are better, but still need to be fungible components, so a lost part is easily compensated for). Thrilling 30 gave us triple changing Voyagers, Headmasters, IDW based designs, Fan created characters, Target masters (SCOOP FERCHRISTSAKES!!!).

CW improves on FOC bruticus, and proved the technology, TR added a significant degree of microplay to the play pattern, and the addition of the Titan master pricepoint was a good solution to the "What happens when you lose an accessory?" problem (again, while collectors make up a larger and larger part of the market, the main concern is how kids play with them). Hasbro have been slowly working themselves towards a big ecosystem of gimmicks and Thrilling 30 was kind of a cambrian explosion, I hope they bring back C clips and weapons packs as well.

• Like Like x 4
  16. shadowbug

shadowbug Well-Known Member

That is completely off; you're talking about 2 examples where they felt they could build an entire line from a single concept. A one off titan is still a one off titan and remains high risk if people dont care for the character.

• Like Like x 1
  17. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ok, regardless on whether the idea that Hasbro's strategy is to test out a play pattern two lines in advance is correct or not, which play pattern did they test out in Titans Return that means we're going to get Metrotitan?

I think your reasoning might be off here. I'm not convinced that the people making the financial decisions at Hasbro will look at the success of one price point as an indicator of success in the other. I imagine each price point is just judged on it's own success. If the line is successful as a whole then they could be given a greater budget next round to experiment with new ideas, which I guess is what led to the creation of new price points in Thrilling:30.

That Fort Max and Trypticon have been such clearance fodder suggests the Titan price point hasn't been as successful as hoped, and the absence of the Titan price point in the recent WfC leak/rumour suggest it's being wrapped up. I think if we'll see any Titan size toys they'll be Haslab exclusives. And if they're not part of the Generations line then there's every chance they might not be Generations compatible.

Just to be clear, this isn't what I'm hoping happens. I'd love to get more Titans. It'd be wonderful to be proved wrong and for us all to get a Metrotitan, Scorponok, or Omega Supreme. But if I look at the situation objectively it feels like the Generations line is having it's belt tightened and the Titans are soon to be a thing of the past.

• Like Like x 2
  18. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What if the Battle Masters are Deluxe figures composed of 2 bots? Imagine a Deluxe Class Battletrap

• Like Like x 10
  19. orangeitis

News Credits:
    If anything is going to kill Titans, it'll be the death of TRU, rather than Hasbro's unwillingness to give us less-popular characters. I'd expect them to not try a larger unpopular character that needs a unique mold, but they already have the Metroplex mold waiting. Maybe when they run out of important characters to Titanify.

• Like Like x 1
  20. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Absolutely. I don't think I've made any comment about character obscurity, other than to challenge a point another member was making about price points, so you'll get no argument from me there.