New kind of autobots

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by spica, Oct 12, 2011.

1. spica

spica Ronnie

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    (I am not sure if this topic goes here)
    Since I saw the triology of Movie, I have been thinking about the Autobots, why they are more violent than their previous counterparts. So I reach this conclusion:

In most of the series the Autobots are a paceful race of robots, well suddenly there comes a maniac like Megatron, blows everything to bits and war stars and massacre beguns

First as you remember in the 86 series the autobots never went as far to destroy their enemies, only to stop them, even in the japanese series they rarely tried to kill the decepticons
    Even in Animated the Decepticons are throw to jail and not destroyed (except in the manga and Starscream) No matter how evil they were, autobots defeated them, not kill them

But in the life action movie and War for cybertron... Screw compassion, go and get them autobots! Blow to bits the Deceptions!

Yes, this are not the autobots we known. But is war. If Autobots didnt destroy their enemys they would come back to kill them. You can say Michael Bay change the concept of Autobots, there are more agressive, less compassion, but is truth, if they werent like that Decepticons would have kill them years ago. They needed to turn more aggresive to fight and survive the war

Sorry, but this sound more realistic. Who do you think would won if we put a Decepticon from moviverse againts a small group of Autobots from animated? The decepticon! Even if is only one

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Realistic or not, if the Autobots are willing to sacrifice their ethics and mercy to defeat the Decepticons, what makes them any different? What's left for the audience to identify with, and to make us root for them?

You could take the characters in a different direction, but there has to be a fundamental difference in WHY and HOW the Autobots and Decepticons fight, or there's no point in having characterizations at all, and they might as well just be soulless machines.

3. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    I like the feeling like this is an actual war not a TV show where the villain will always be back.

That said there is a very fine line you can walk and maintain your ethics during a war. Captain America is good example of this (at least in the movie). Death should never be the goal but it should be an option.

WFC and TF Prime do this well, in my opinion.

The movies are just Bay blowing things up with murderous psychotic super soldiers. They are a fantastic example of how NOT to walk that line.

4. Crazy Ramjetty

Crazy Ramjetty marvel's got it good

Michael bay

5. spica

spica Ronnie

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What I am saying is that Autobots became more aggresive in order to fight the Decepticons
    For the ones who have seen Optimus in the comics of foundation, he was less aggresive than in the present. he became that to be a more powerful warrior against Decepticons, otherwise Megatron would have rip him apart

I am not saying they should throw their morals, I am just saying is most realistic their have to fight this way in other to stop the Decepticons. Besides, this Decepticons are a good example of pure evil, betraying their race and starting a war after 2 generations of peace.
    I think sometimes is needed to use more the logic than heart, even if is very hard to do it.

6. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    If we're going for a realistic approach then there is no black and white good guys and bad guys. Both sides are the badguys like in any war and then the victor says that he's the good guy.

If you're going for a realistic approach to war Decepticons aren't the pure evil badguys, they're lead by a guy that thinks if he rules Cybertron he will create a better place and the Autobots are wrong and blind to his true goal. In Decepticons eyes the Autobtos are the badguys.

Same goes for the Autobots.

There are heroes and villains on both sides.

That's what bugs me most when someone says "Duh, this is so much more realistic!"

No no it isn't! If it was like what I wrote it would be realistic but here we have a CLEAR divison of EVIL and GOOD and there is no clear EVIL and GOOD in a true war.

7. spica

spica Ronnie

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes, you have right in that point
    In war there are not good guys or bad guys
    (and both sides always lost something)

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The Autobots have always fougth for peace. (as oxymoron-ish as that sounds) The only reason the movie robots are more violent is because it looks cooler.

9. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Everything you said is exactly how I would have portrayed the war. I want the Decepticons cause to be understandable and sympathetic.

And this is why I hate seeing any Megatron be completely uncaring or even murderous to his own troops. Any leader who murdered a subordinate for daring to speak up won't be leader for long.

They should portray Megatron more like Hitler, in that he's a charismatic leader. He should have his troops utter devotion because they believe in his cause, not because the fear him. Yeah he'll still do evil stuff and be a tyrant but at least you would be able to believe he would stay in power.

Exodus did this decent I felt. It showed Megatron go from freedom fighter and gradually turn into a tyrant. He went a little too far into uncaring monster but most of it was good.

10. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    I like to think that in the beginning he was like Hitler a charismatic tyrant but as time went on and war kept destroying his psyhe and mind he turned into a monster and the troops taht first followed him for his charm now follow him because they fear the monster that Megatron now is.

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Even though i like this. I dunno I'd still have Optimus Prime be the idealistic hero and have Megatron as the fallen hero turned to darkness.

But yeah I'd love some good guy Decepticons and some nasty Autobots think Armada Starscream and Sentinel Prime. The Perfect examples on how to do this.

12. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    X-Men First Class did that amazingly. Think of Optimus as Charles and Megatron as Magneto and you pretty much have how I would have done it.

13. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    forget michael bay, the movieverse took the transformers universe kicking and screaming into reality. the reality of it is when soldiers are sent into war, they shoot to kill. the autobots are soldiers, in a long term civil war.

they werent easily repaired either, looking at poor BB. his "voice box" may never be restored. jazz, while a robot, hasnt been "rebuilt" or "brought back". he died. the end. their war destroyed their planet. there's no hope of it being restored. where as in cartoon, there is a chance. its do or die like real life. thats why the movies have been so good. theyre brutal.

also in the cartoons, humans rarely got injured despite being involved in the war of giant robots. in the movie? theyve been vaporise.

14. llfalcon

llfalcon Well-Known Member

In the G1 cartoon, very few, if any died on screen until the movie. A handful of Autobots were killed at the hands of the Decepticons. Another handful of Decepticons were sent to the brink of death until they were discarded into space and reformatted by Unicron. But movie aside, I'm sure if the Decepticons had succeeded in killing more Autobots, I'm sure they would not take precautions as to harm but not kill the Deceptions either. Fact is, G1 is a children's cartoon and death/killing should not be a daily theme of the show. A movie on the otherhand, as we've seen in the 86 Movie, death will be more prevelant. TV also has way more episodes, so they can't go killing Transformers off every week. Movie and Game sequels are less numerous, so they can afford the loss of characters. As for Prime, Cliffjumper and a bunch of Decepticon drones are the exception (and a flashback of an autobot that I don't recall his name). Another point is, more and more is becoming acceptable over the decades. Not necessarily in Transformers, but on TV and radio, there's language, violence, sexual themes, alcohol and recreation drugs. We see a lot of that in Transformers movies, but not the cartoons. So I think it's less to do with Michael Bay, but more the day and age we live in.