New Jersey kid railroaded into juvy for doodling in his notebook...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mutt12, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    Doodles Lead to New Jersey Student’s Arrest | Comic Book Legal Defense Fund

So basically a kid was caught drawing a hand with fire coming out of it in his notebook. Standard junk you see kids drawing in their notebook, right? One of his teachers saw it, told the principal, and the principal called the cops, afraid this might be a warning sign that the kid might be 'unstable'. So the cops get a warrant, search the house, and find nothing but a bunch of cleaning chemicals under the sink, which they confiscate and use as 'evidence' that he was building a bomb and throw the poor kid into juvy.

God, people are getting paranoid...

2. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

Welcome to modern American society.

I really don't even know how to properly articulate what I believe to be wrong with this friggin' country. But, I do know that shit like this really pisses me off.

3. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Banned

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    If this is true then, good lord, that's just stupid, however if we're missing information, then...

4. TWINTURBO

TWINTURBO Mandiprime97's badass :)

WOW that is crazy,( I read the article ) this kid is getting screwed over...

5. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHhhhhhhh.........

6. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

That's just so stupid...WTF?

7. SurlyJ

SurlyJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In high school I got in real trouble for doodles in one of my notebooks. It was a journal I had to turn in every few weeks... In religion class... And I drew lots of demons and things... Lol

My parents got called into the principals office and she and the teacher told us how mentally disturbed I was. My parents basically told them both to fuck off.

Now THAT was an overreaction. Calling the cops before the parents is unsettling. Now... Maybe I'll actually read the link :) 

Yes a drawing can be an indicator of some metal stress, but its hardly an precursor to imminent doom. The cops are not qualified to deal with a child who may have issues being worked out in doodles.

8. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    WTF. another sad case of Zero Tolerance policies run a muck. if i was the kid's parents id be lawyering up and filing a lawsuit.

Zero Tolerance = Zero common sense.

9. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    God I'm glad I'm not a kid in this day in age. Back when I was in high school, we had designated smoking areas for students and there were no metal detectors and drug dogs. This whole zero tolerance BS didn't start till like a year after I graduated.

10. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    Fuck you america!
    i hate this country, oh wait Human stupidity is everywhere.....
    well i guess i best stay in TN, not like its any better elsewhere

11. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually I think you'll find that pretty much all other countries don't have drug dogs in schools, or crazy 'zero tolerance' policies like this.

Feel bad for that kid, doesn't everyone draw random crap on their books when they're bored in class?

12. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Wow... just wow. :wtf: 

13. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    if you hate america, get the fuck out. you've got so much liberty here it's not even funny and i'm sick of spoiled brats like you not appreciating it.

14. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    I agree. It ain't perfect, but I feel it's the best we got (no offense to any international posters on this boarD).

15. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Old story, and I can't seem to find any updates, which makes me think it may have been resolved the way we all wanted it to be (i.e. out of jail; though obviously I have no source on that).
    Amusingly, a less "ermagawd, the kid did nuttin' wrong" angle on the story:
    Cedar Creek Student's Suspicious Behavior Leads to Discovery of Explosive Device | GallowayTwpNews.com

Where exactly is this bit from? The link just mentions "chemicals and electronics that could be used as an explosive", nothing on what those chemicals and electronics were.

16. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    So we're turning this place into a prison and telling people who don't like it to get out? OK...

17. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    So we're turning this place into a prison and telling people who don't like it to get out? OK...

(To be fair, though, stupidity isn't just an American problem.)

18. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    That bit, I actually heard on the radio on the way to work.

19. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

It probably wasn't the chemicals themselves that got the kid arrested, but the addition of his electronics hobby.

That said, every news source I found about this story...all of whom were almost word for word copies of each other (do reporters not research things on their own anymore?) make it seem like this entire incident is a massive overreaction and that the teacher and school itself need to rethink their "this action kind of bothers me so get them arrested" policy. While tragic, and massive news fodder, statistically speaking these major school shootings are very rare (once every few years for as many schools and kids in the country is a minute percentage). Jumping the gun on every "quasi-questionable" activity from a student is absolutely the wrong thing to do as now this kid's entire life is thrown into shambles because of what may very well be both harmless and actually admirable interests.

I know when I was in school, I was drawing violent scenes and weapons and monsters and all sorts of stuff on pretty much every book, paper and so forth I could get my hands on. Mainly because...I liked comics and anime and enjoyed drawing (and still do 15+ years later). If police were called to search my house just because my harmless drawings "spooked" a teacher...well I don't know how it would've affected me, but it certainly wouldn't have any positive influence on my life. My mother on the otherhand would've sued the crap out of everyone involved...and I really hope the mother in this situation does as well.

This is a clear example of a massive knee-jerk overreaction to an issue that wasn't even news worthy. The best thing to have done in a situation like this would've been to have someone with the proper qualifications actually talk to the parents and child to properly gauge whether or not this kid posed any kind of threat. While it's highly improbably to prevent tragedies like the one that happened a few weeks ago (which wasn't even from a student thus there was no way any teacher could have stopped it) the best way to prevent students from doing anything violent, not just to others but themselves as well (suicide is more common the school shootings) is to have people who know what they're doing talk to the kids. Just locking up people before they ever do anything is not only going to make things worse, it's actually highly unconstitutional and everyone involved in an action like this should be punished far more severely then the kid who did nothing wrong.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  20. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

I know, right?! Our high school was the same way! I remember when I was a Freshman, they still had a little area indicated by painted lines where the students could smoke!

Also, our school is next to a shopping plaza and before school huge crowds of us would hang out. There would be the occasional fight, some people were smoking weed, drinking, lol, and I swear - things were BETTER back then. I would much rather have school like that, then what things are like today.

It seems like it's a police state in schools now. Security, drug dogs, police on duty, hypersensitive staff, etc.etc. - and I don't think it's made it any better.