New James Roberts Interview

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Mechafire, Aug 12, 2013.

1. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree. With Mirage Roberts say everything background is put there for a reason his veto might have to do with future plans. Remember the panel with Pharma and Mirage.

Bluestreak I would like to see. Who knows they may switch chars once Dark Cybertron is over?

2. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    a wordless issue. Hot damn! that would be pretty sick.

3. FantomLibrarian

FantomLibrarian Iaconian Data Coordinator

I love the confirmation that the shadow behind Shockwave is a Metro Titan, and that 'the coffin' will be in Season 2 of More Than Meets The Eye. The talk of Transformers politics was quite interesting as were Roberts' comments about Megatron's evolving justification of his tyrannical actions/agenda.

4. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Blitzwing was going to be Cyclonus.....no thanks. Cyclonus is just fine.

5. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Reminds me of Tfcon, whenever he would give mention to Tailgate originally being Powerglide and Cyclonus originally being Blitzwing, someone in the crowd would go "Nooooooo"

6. Mechafire

Mechafire Tarnished Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Cyclonus being Blitzwing just would've been random and weird.

Swerve being Bluestreak wouldn't have worked as well, due to Bluestreak being "regular" sized. The "shut the hell up" type of character works better when it's a smaller dude.

I could maaaybe have seen Tailgate being Powerglide, but I dunno.

Edit: Actually wait, isn't Powerglide regular sized too? Yeah that wouldn't have worked either.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  7. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    No one knows what it would have been like unless it had actually happened.

8. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Powerglide is big onboard the lost light, like ultra Magnus big

9. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm preeeeetty sure if Cyclonus and Swerve had actually been Blitzwing and Bluestreak, they wouldn't have gone through the exact same arc. Although the main plot had probably been plotted out beforehand, exact details must have changed when the roster was set.

For example: Blitzwing probably wouldn't have been the ancient warrior from Nova Prime's era, but might have brought a similar angle to the group, looking at things from a Decepticon point of view (or saying stuff like 'this is how we did things with the Cons').

:) 

10. Starhawk

Starhawk Well-Known Member

Though it's true we won't really ever know how things would be if the roster had been what he wanted, what he gave us with THIS roster has blown me away.

And I'm very glad to have come to appreciate Cyclonus, and am quite glad I got that. Blitzwing has never really pulled me in... but then, I suppose, the same could be said of Cyclonus...

11. FantomLibrarian

Yup, Powerglide was based on his voyager-class toy (in issue 1) and Cosmos is also huge (for no discernible reason) since we saw his enormous body in the splash page of 'Under Cold Blue Stars'. I'd like to see what Roberts has in store for Rattrap during Dark Cybertron.

I like how the botched AKOM opening for season 3 (Rodimus, Kup, Ultra Magnus) is finally corrected on the cover of Dark Cybertron 1 (with Rodimus, Orion Pax, and Bumblebee). When I was a kid the fact that Rodimus was behind Kup (despite being the leader) always bothered me...

The 'War Stories' plot he mentioned does sound interesting and I wonder if he was blatantly spoiling a later plot point. His description of a mnemonic virus spread by shared memory sounds like a perfect example of 'Thought Warfare' [19:80(4) of the Tyrest Accord] which is exactly what Skids is accused of!

Also loved his insight into 'Ultra Magnus Duly Appointed Enforcer of the Tyrest Accord' as the character's full name.

12. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    Very pleased to see people enjoyed the interview. He's a thoroughly great guy and long may he reign on MTMTE. The notion of issue #40 and issue #50 is particularly pleasing and the chance to finally engage with the man on the subject of TF politics -- which is my thing given the research/thesis I wrote! -- is a joy.

Anyway, yes, very happy people liked. The music at the end is the song Roberts offered as a musical summing up of the series as a whole.

13. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    That was a lot of fun to do, James Roberts is an incredibly down-to-Earth guy and a great interviewee. Glad people are enjoying it. :) 

14. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Interesting to hear from Roberts on a lot of these topics... however, since he has publicly come out of the closet as a RIBFIR, I'm afraid I can no longer support him in good conscience.

... okay, nobody's perfect.

It's fascinating to hear about the character substitutions, especially since several of the characters at the outset of the series seemed to be odd matches to their established personas.

Sure there are going to be people who are like "it would've sucked because I love Swerve" or whatever, but obviously it doesn't work that way. If Swerve had instead been Bluestreak, we'd have this awesome iconic characterization of Bluestreak, and it wouldn't matter how tall he is (just as it doesn't matter how tall Misfire is, since they are practically the same character ;) ).

Likewise, Powerglide being portrayed as a boastful little guy who makes up stories about himself and bites off more than he can chew would have felt like a good match. He probably wouldn't have ended up playing the same doe-eyed innocent as Tailgate, but it could have worked (also his size is irrelevant, since before his cameo in MTMTE, Powerglide's size had never been established).

Of course, it's hard to regret these arbitrary decisions, because Roberts has made Swerve and Tailgate so endearing.

Regarding the Blitzwing/Cyclonus swap, I would HOPE that we would have ended up with a very different character. Strictly speaking, Blitzwing is more like Whirl than Cyclonus, so I imagine their dynamic would have been considerably altered.

Or would Lector be Pharma? Egotistical doctor with a grand scheme, and a sociopathic rejection of his society's morality that culminates in a grotesque penchant for misusing the physical body?

As I recall, the historical Caligula was actually a pretty solid emperor, though he did go a bit nuts toward the end, which is all he's remembered for. But yeah... the idea of an aristocratic, sadistic, decadent, egotist fits Overlord for sure.

Except that he ruled over Garrus like his own private empire, holding gladiatorial games for his amusement, and taking his whims to sadistic extremes. That sounds like a "Caligula" type to me.

I think Star Saber is more "Inquisitorial". :) 

No, but that doesn't mean it's not fun to guess. :) 

zmog

15. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Smog

I have no real opinion of Star Saber it is first time I saw him so I waiting for more trying guess what he is in Historical figures.

I drew seeker....heh....if ya interested.

16. FantomLibrarian

I love 'Lost Coastlines'! As soon as I heard the song (way back when Roberts was first rattling off the soundtrack to the series) all I pictured was little chibi versions of the characters bouncing along to the bass beat and hopping across the universe in a little Lost Light. Seriously, I think someone needs to animate a little opening to this song for the series, just have the ship bounce along and show new characters then 'X' out the ones that died on the way!

C'mon folks...CHIBI OVERLORD...

BTW, was the version used at the end of the podcast a different version than the album? I really didn't hear the bass on the version played...just wondering...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  17. Jus09

Jus09 Well-Known Member

Seriously, why isn't this guy writing the next Transformers series? I would love to see a series of DCAU-style stories written by James Roberts.

18. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:

I'd love to see what he could do as well! The world building he's doing in the comic would work well in a series!

19. maku098

maku098 indeed a wise choice

News Credits:
    Wait, from what I'm reading on the comments, is Erector on the Lost Light? I'm too lazy to download the podcast.

20. VRDUBZAK

VRDUBZAK Titan

News Credits:
    I heard the most awesome name. Roller.