New Info for TF The last Knight: Sqweeks can only say chihuahua and Hot Rod has a french accent

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by w1n1fred, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Hey. People were complaining after Jazz, the Twins and Drift that other ethnicities are stereotypised.

Now we have a first world stereotype introduced for the balance.

You can't say that the moviemakers aren't listening to the feedback!

I'm hoping for a redneckformer listening to country&western in the next movie after this one.

• Like Like x 1
  2. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    wasn't that basically Hound?

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    As the son of a French immigrant, I approve.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    We've already had Germans, Japanese and Italians. All first world. And for the record, the Twins and Drift were first world stereotypes, as well.

5. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    Okay, so French Hotrod wasn't in the trailer, but who would of guessed that Unicron would be stupid and unrecognizable looking?

6. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    LoL, i assume you are being sarcastic, but: anyone that's watched a michael bay Transformers movie?

7. Galvatross

Galvatross Dreklord of Ogremarr Veteran

I would laugh my butt off if he had a full on "Guy Le Douche" persona from that one show over a decade ago.

Seriously speaking though, I don't mind a French accent. Some people are going to want Hot Rod dead either way because of 1986. It was said he had an important role, so that's a good sign I suppose.

As for Sqweeks, it's not like Transformers has never had kid-appeal characters with strange speech patterns before. Wheelie's high pitched rhymes, Grimlock's "Me Grimlock," G1 or Animated Wreck-Gar, Shrapnel's repetitions. Sqweeks only saying "Chihuahua" at least initially is not the first and certainly not the last such instance in the brand. I especially love it when people are complaining on the trailer that a teenager is an actress in a Transformers film as if Transformers has never had kids or teenagers as friends to the Autobots before. The denial of how much the Transformers films are similar to the source material is unreal.

• Like Like x 8
  8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    And I don't think it's going away any time soon. I think this is a kind of mass delusion caused by self-consciousness in some fans, now that Transformers are in the mainstream eye. When people say, "That movie was stupid," these fans want to be able to say, "Yeah, but the original is much better -- Bay really dumbed it down."

And I don't think these people will ever be shaken from this delusion, no matter how many times or in however great detail it is pointed out to them how ridiculous it is. They cling to it too tightly.

• Like Like x 3
  9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP #VernoWasRight

News Credits:
    You mean the-

-------------MOST-----------
    ---EXTREME------------------
    --------------ELIMINATION---
    -----CHALLENGE!-------------

With your hosts Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano. Let's-go!

• Like Like x 2
  10. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax You know what happens to Messiahs, don't you?

News Credits:
    Nah, we got that with the Wreckers. Pot bellies, hats, beards, mullets and a love for NASCAR. The only thing different is there was no Southern drawl and instead it was a Scottish accent.

• Like Like x 2
  11. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    I consider the original G1 cartoon pretty low on the totem pole as far as quality goes. But where that was pretty silly Saturday morning faire I've found most of the movie sequels to be low-brow stuff that only serves to give a wide audience a misconception of what the franchise is about.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

I know they didn't want Sqweeks to be too much like BB8, but they really should have had him "talk" like astromechs instead of, well... Chihuahua.

• Like Like x 1
  13. RodimusZero

RodimusZero Steezin fo no Reason

News Credits:
    Though this is getting off topic a little bit, I agree, and perhaps the biggest thing for me is that while the G1 cartoon was "silly" (nods at "A Decepticon Raider in King Arthur's Court" and "Hoist Goes Hollywood"), the Bay films are downright crude. Hell, I don't even mind the character design/style differences so much as I mind things like
    1. Leg humping
    2. Peeing on people
    3. TF's saying things like "Die, bitch!!" or even "Give me your face!", which are vastly contradictory to their 100% pacifist personas in the original, not to mention set a bad role model for kids.
    4. Blatant racism i.e. the Twins.

So, similarities/source material/character design and all aside, I think what it really boils down to is a low bar, and a bar set so subterranean-ly low it's ridiculous.

14. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    You wish it was a misconception.

The other big wish of fans like you is that if you showed someone from that wide audience one Bay movie, and one example of TF fiction that you think represents all that is best about the franchise, that person would agree your example was better and more enjoyable. Unfortunately, that also is a misconception.

15. Galvatross

On the contrary, I think Bay and company actually have a much better grasp of what Transformers is than many members of the fandom. I love Transformers, in many instances more than at a superficial level, but by the same token I love Transformers for what it is and not for what it is not, and I think many fans love Transformers for purely imaginary reasons (and also hate the Bay films, Animated, and other series for imaginary reasons).

Thank you! Usually I have a good long term memory, but for some reason I could only remember Guy's name, which he certainly lived up to.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I was not disagreeing with that.

17. Galvatross

Oh I know. I just worded it strange. I meant like contrary to how to many fans think. I've been working on a research article and presentation all of this time, so I'm out of it by this point.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    This is exactly the reason I don't want to go see Rogue One opening day. Everytime I've been to one of the earliest showings of a movie in my area a the people always tear apart the trailers for whatevers before. Ghostbuster got a real standing screaming "boo" and someone even threw their popcorn bucket. I'm talking the whole damn theater too. Regardless of whether or not the trailer and movie are good other "nerds" tend to look down upon them and the new trailer will be ripped to shreds. It sucks.

19. Chucez

Chucez Well-Known Member

I wasn't excited when this movie was announced, and this trailer has done little to change that. Although that Unicron looking thing looked neat.

20. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax You know what happens to Messiahs, don't you?

News Credits:
    We haven't had this since DOTM

I don't recall the former, but yes, let's be pacifists in a war that has been going on for thousands of years with lives lost on both sides.

Not this shit again. Even the voice actors for the Twins think this "racist" notion is ridiculous. This is an old and tiring argument that holds no merit.

Well, enough fans seem to like it well-enough so I'm sure it'll do great this time around without you buying a ticket.

Oh, and for the record, in case you didn't see it, AoE had little to none of anything you listed here, (except the laughable racism accusation), so clearly someone is listening.