New Images Of Studio Series Optimus Prime, Ratchet, Crowbar And Starscream

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Operative294, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Deductor

Deductor Banned

Oh my. Well........
    These are disappointing. One of those moments I realize I’ve put my expectations too high and so far this line is a pass. Hope the MPM line gives us a good ratchet. /:

2. TF10

TF10 Movie,TFP,MPM...

News Credits:
    Starscream looks good,Optimus is...fat...

3. TCJJ

TCJJ 125% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    I never said I didn't like Starscream (though I do think his design is awful, but his movie toys have generally been pretty accurate and pretty good).

Besides, it's not like a lot of these characters haven't had a million toys already. How many G1 characters have had as many toys (especially mould-wise) as movie Prime or Bumblebee or even Ironhide or Ratchet or Starscream or Megatron? Not actually that many. People always say G1 characters have had a ton of new toys and such but that's primarily because G1 has been around the longest. At least in relative terms, G1 designs don't have all that many toys, and even in the grand scheme of things, the vast majority of G1 characters either haven't got updated toys or have only got one or two updates. Some movie characters have had three or four different figures in one line only, not even including repaints.
    It's like the argument of G1 Masterpieces vs. Beast Wars Masterpieces, where people say there are too many G1 Masterpieces and not enough Beast Wars Masterpieces, forgetting that Beast Wars Masterpieces only started around the 20th anniversary of Beast Wars, G1 Masterpieces only started around the 20th anniversary of G1, and that G1 has therefore had a lot more time to get these figures out but will likely end up with relatively the same amount in the same period of time (or maybe more, since TakaraTomy's Masterpiece output has increased quite a bit since the old pre-MP-10 Masterpieces).

• Like Like x 2
  4. Gallade

Gallade HSR and Transformers Enjoyer

News Credits:
    If they're doing by 20 year anniversaries, I guess that means I'm gonna have to wait even longer for MP Armada characters. :( 
    Good thing he's not as fat as Energon Prime.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gallade

Gallade HSR and Transformers Enjoyer

News Credits:
    How tall are the Dreads? Are they supposed to be same size as Ironhide? I remember faintly they were at least a little taller than Sideswipe.
    EXCEPT BUDGET REASONS FOR THOSE WHO CAN'T AFFORD THOSE VERSIONS. DON'T FORGET ABOUT US. :) 

• Like Like x 6
  6. TCJJ

TCJJ 125% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Maybe. They seemed interesting in doing Armada Optimus so we might see it sooner rather than later. I'm still waiting for more RID love before Armada gets more love. We've had a few black Optimus repaints as RID Scourge/Car Robots Black Convoy (mostly limited to Japan), that awful new Sky-Byte which makes the original look like a Masterpiece figure, and a Japan-only Ruination/Baldigus but that's about it.
    Armada got... a new Hotshot which is arguably worse than the original and a Starscream which everyone but myself likes (I personally think it's a horrible figure). I feel like I'm forgetting something else but... yeah, neither of them have been well-loved. Then there's Energon and Cybertron which have had almost no love whatsoever (unless you count MakeToys doing Galaxy Force toys).
    Debatable. Energon Optimus doesn't look too bad when combined (colours aside) so taking into account that this movie Optimus has more proportionate limbs... I dunno, the limb proportions aside, I think he might be about as fat.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Okay.

To clarify one comment i made some days ago about the studio series and mpm line coexisting together.

I meant to say that both lines can have the same characters being sold at the same time, but not just that, this "Studio Series" it's part of an entire planned generations line, just as the normal generations line, with that i mean we could get something like Universe/CW/TR/POTP, etc, in the movie figures, they will revisit the same characters in another scale.

We will get most likely another leader class optimus prime, based off the same 1-3 prime.

This voyager won't be the only optimus in this entire line.

• Like Like x 1
  8. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Leader Armada Megatron during Combiner Wars. But then again it wasn't really a improvement over the original either.

• Like Like x 2
  9. TCJJ

TCJJ 125% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Ah, yes, that's the one.

10. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Mihono Bourbon's hero

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    If Crowbar is a Berserker retool I hope he tabs more easily than Berserker.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

This is really evident with Ironhide and Ratchet. With this upcoming figure, Movie-Ratchet's gonna have one okay-Voyager and 3 good Deluxe options, while poor old G1 Ratchet is still stuck with this-

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  12. TCJJ

TCJJ 125% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    To be fair, there's the Masterpiece Ironhide and Ratchet figures which I really like but they have issues (Ratchet has horrible paint-chipping issues often out of the box, for instance).
    There are the Combiner Wars ones too... if you can even really count those. Well, Ironhide at least. I don't even remember if they did Ratchet.

13. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

While those do count as G1 updated toys, they're not of much use if you're collecting the standard Deluxe/Voyager figures. I can see figures like MP Shockwave working if you go with the Leader class Megatron though.

CW Ironhide I really wasn't impressed with. Just as short as the original, tiny thin arms, no window chest, whole front of the truck hanging off the back. Ratchet was only available in a Takara box set. I don't begrudge the movie Ironhide/Ratchet at all, I just really want to see the classic van bros get a better mold in Generations.

back on topic - Eager to see better shots of Stinger and Lockdown, who is hopefully a new and improved mold.

• Like Like x 1
  14. TCJJ

TCJJ 125% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Oh, definitely, they're not Generations or Classics or whatever - they're an entirely different line and scale.

Not surprising at all. It's not a great mould but oh well.

I actually kind of like movie Ironhide's design but I gave up on him after getting one or two of the original Voyager figures that had floppy waists which didn't tab in. I could fix it these days but meh, I'll wait to see if there's a better option (and I know there have been better options since but I stopped caring a while ago, so now's their chance to impress me again).

15. User_136440

User_136440 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, it definitely looks like the transformation scheme is really similar to the Evasion voyager, just with the front wheels folding onto the hips. They could’ve added what Wei Jiang did by having the wheels on the lower legs rotate up onto the thighs, though that wouldn’t have removed the red from the hips.

• Like Like x 2
  16. User_136440

News Credits:
    The Dreads are 18-20 ft. This is the problem of the wave system; each wave has only two voyagers, one or two leaders but four deluxes, so more characters have to fit into the deluxe scale regardless of actual scale. If they didn’t we could have just the cars as deluxe, and everything else as voyager of leader. Though that, of course, would make the whole line more expensive.

• Like Like x 2
  17. st.ranger

st.ranger Emperor of Destruction

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It would be great, if there will be Hatchet and Dreadbot too.

Nice move to create character from third movie. It was always sad to not release more toys, like Onslaught and Mohawk in TLK. Maybe five years later.

• Like Like x 1
  18. User_136440

News Credits:
    If this will indeed be an ongoing subline, I can see them appearing sooner rather than later. I wouldn’t be surprised if the padded waves out with things like Crankcase from Berserker, AOE Bumblebee from a reshelled Stinger or even AOE Crosshairs from TLK Crosshairs with the spoiler and deco switched.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Michael Payton

Michael Payton Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not exactly swimming in cash, so I'm very picky about what I buy because of that. I'd rather save up and buy a great toy for $100 that I can display and mess with for years than own several mediocre toys for $20, $30 or $50 each that I'll forget about after I dropped them in storage after a few weeks.

It is why I have largely stopped buying Hasbro products apart from Legends scale and the Titan/Prime Masters. Too many of the larger toys are nearing Big Lots KO quality for me to waste $20 or $30 on. Plastic and paint quality are severely lacking. I don't want to seem like a snob, but if I'm spending what little cash I have for a toy robot, I want the best quality that I can get so that I know it will last. I have G1 Dinobots that have lasted decades and they still look good. That's my standard for current products.

I'm hoping that the Studio Series line is an improvement. Leader Blackout appears to be a better design than we've seen lately, but I'll wait for reviews before I buy it or any of them.

Meanwhile, I'm saving my cash for either the Alien Attack or Unique Toys Knight Optimus Prime. $110 or $140. That 2 or 3 Leader Scale toys. I might then save up for whatever Wei Jiang does to improve the quality of the Masterpiece Movie Optimus.

If you have $80 to spend on a single movie toy right now, TCP has Wei Jiang's Evasion Optimus Prime and the Battle Damaged version on sale. US seller. The Battle Damaged version is hand painted and looks like a museum piece. The standard version is also spectacular quality. It exceeds any official Hasbro product from the past decade.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    It's an event in China. Details are not disclosed but judging by the info we have at the moment, it seems to be a trade fair for business people.

• Like Like x 1