New Image Studio Series Devastator - Size Classes Confirmed.

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Jacer, Feb 28, 2019.

1. darthsutius

darthsutius Minor Sith Lord

News Credits:
    Not meaning to be argumentative - seriously :p 

But - these figures had one of the weirdest low-key combiner pushes I've ever seen. Obviously the instructions covered it, but the packaging was VERY subtle about it - no big call outs on the back, with just a small line of text and a sort-of out of place pic of Devastator on the side. It always struck me as a little weird that they didn't shout it from the rooftops that these were combiners.

But the flip side of this is that each figure got to be a character on it's own for a while before becoming part of the combined form. I've really enjoyed the individual toys for the last 2 years as they've come along. And Overload's probably the lame duck of the group, especially the alt-mode, so it's ok that he came last.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Pixelmaster

Pixelmaster >implying toys are good

News Credits:
    Read through the article and it omits a few things, most notably how much of a mistake the 2 year plan was. Hasui in the chinese interview has said that one of the biggest challenges was due to them being released throughout a two year period, prices for materials would impact to the point they had to make some compromises. Calling it "some" is a massive understatement.

Whilst there is documentation to support that Commander Scavenger was worked on, the biggest problem was Overload himself. Stabilty was an issue, but the biggest issue just stressed on him and it would just simply break. Because of this change as well as budget cuts, Overload had to do the job and well, the best thing they could do is to just simply make him stretch out like a starfish.

Despite this, Scavenger was supposed to be WILD. The cables, shoulder flaps are all present in the commander version and was always intended to be the final retail mold and would form the chest more better. His giant wheels WOULD HAVE FORMED the back grinder. Mixmaster's partsforming drum is also a result of budget cuts.

Hightower and Scrapmetal are an absolute husk of its former shell. The original scheme had them meshed more well, but due to cuts in budget he now has a big fat forearm with a giant palm. The partsforming shield piece was supposed to connect to a pile of greeble, but is watered down to hide his red thighs when connect

Overall, its not bad for an 8 bot combiner (hell, its impressive that its not qaulity control disaster that barely holds together), but I just wished that Hasbro would just sometimes be more willing to just simply used odd pricing structures.

• Like Like x 23
  3. opoptimus

opoptimus SUN WUKONG, not Son Goku.

News Credits:
    Don't mean to be disrespectful to the engineer or Hasbro in anyway, while the schematic sketches are a great insight, I personally find the Hasbro Pulse interview lacking in detail. A lot of "we", not enough of what this project engineer actually did, given that we know for a fact Hasui led the project from TT's side by himself. All the drawings in the interview were done by Hasui, even the exploded parts diagram (you can see the kanji on it, and Alexander Kubalsky's interviews were littered with these, so we know this is what TT does for each project, not Hasbro). Structural integrity? Sure. But if TT does the CAD modelling and all the prototype testing, it'd make sense for them to do all this in Japan. I'm genuinely curious as to what the Hasbro side adds to the process, as to me they have always been heavily on the "concept design" side of things only.

The interview with Shogo Hasui however, is the real gem here. Full of great details that are worth being translated and shared.

Awesome, I was almost gonna try my hand on it as well. Really look forward to it! :) 

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Actar

Actar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is there a link to the original Japanese interview?

5. Pixelmaster

News Credits:
    The Chinese translation also concerns WFC too, so I'm going to skip it and focus for Devy

I= Interviewer
    H= Hasui

I: Please talk about Studio Series Devestator.
    H: Because all combining toys are handled by multiple people at once during the design phase, I was in charge of designing the individual bot modes for each member

I: Because its a Studio Series toy, it must be about movie accuracy.
    H: For the sake of screen accuracy, we abandoned the building brick style of combination (he's probably referring to Combiner Wars ports). We refrenced the Ukiyo-e techniques (which is a Japanese painting style) and made every member's hands and feet intersect at each other, creating a unique meshing effect. The overall experiene was different when designing Unite Warriors Devestator where we had to design all 6 members at once. for this combiner, we had to design each member in accordance to their relase date.

I: This is unheard of!
    H: Unlike Unite Warriors, where products are released in one go (reminder: UW combiners were released in one box set) Studio series toys are released one by one individually, as well as their release dates. They are interesting in their individual modes, as combination isn't the sole priority. The schedule was the same for uncombining members and it took a lot of research time! The production for the blueprint of both the combined and individual mode made meeting deadlines a difficulty.

I: I always thought that the combined mode was worked first before the individual mode.
    H: We did prioritize the combined mode at first, but we didn't think of the details, and for the individual mode, we would think "well, the combining point should be around here, lets reserve a spot for it here", and think of the next step. The combined result was always in my head and no one can split my job. It's like a manga artist, you always have the story arc planned in your head (laughs).

I: This production style must be the first too.
    H: Yes, and its the first time we would make a single toy that would span over years to do. As production costs would change, the prices may impact the part count, and the adjustments to make ends meet was also challenging and stressful.

• Like Like x 6
  6. AzT

AzT Moderator News Staff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  7. Alexander Fedorychev

Alexander Fedorychev TonTon: Revealing All Kingdom Figures Tomorrow!

News Credits:
    Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania located on Cybertron
    YouTube:
    Best picture from all this:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  8. Dconworshipper

Dconworshipper decepticon

so with the fan friday being about SS today,perhaps we will finally get official conformation that the boxset is real?

9. Pixelmaster

News Credits:
    He’s out in Hong Kong, I think he’s very real

• Like Like x 2
  10. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    It could have been better with more time and less budget restraints, but since it probably came down to doing the 2 year plan or not getting Devastator made in Studio Series at all, I'm not sure "mistake" is the word I would use.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Pixelmaster

News Credits:
    It’s definitely a misstep

12. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde SOUND ONLY

News Credits:
    I appreciate the look behind the scenes, regardless about how I feel about this Devastator overall.

13. Digger

Digger Cracker-Man

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Shame the interviewer didn’t attempt to ask anything about Scrapmetal, since he’s pretty much a new design and not even accurate to the 2nd component which forms the arm in the film. Fun stuff though, but defo a missed opportunity.

• Like Like x 3
  14. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Yoinkus

News Credits:
    Or keep Hightower a deluxe and make Scrapmetal a scout, that way both arms end up the same size

15. Digger

Digger Cracker-Man

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    It’s a shame Devy didn’t come later since Core Class seems to be the newfound resurrection of Scouts.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    While I enjoy reading the insights about the creative process, I can't help but feel like "they could have made it better with more dev time, a different release schedule, and more budget" is basically true of... well... everything?

• Like Like x 2
  17. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thank you. This basically confirms what I suspected all along, and it's a pity to read. Robot modes are all great on these guys, but the final combiner's Scavenger/Overload combo is just lackluster in my opinion. They couldn't do it and went 'oh shit'. :-/

Slightly annoyed too, especially since that opinion was somehow enough to be scolded for back then.

18. MJY78

MJY78 Well-Known Member

Or they could've at least given the excavator mode the right attachment to match the one on the ship, and make the robot mode like Scrapper's.

19. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  20. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sometimes it hurts to learn how the sausage is made. :(