New Image Studio Series Devastator - Size Classes Confirmed.

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Jacer, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I'm not sure if Piemanbegins was asking about the ROTF toyline or what's shown in the movie. Unintentionally ambiguous questions can often lead to people discussing about completely different things.

So to give a more precise and accurate answer that addresses both possible meanings of the original question:

"Rampage" and "Skipjack" as separate characters is an invention of Takara.

In the movie, we technically never see Constructions with individual robot modes combine into Devastator. We see Constructicons that transform into individual robot modes, and we see constrution vehicles that merge into Devastator. The movie never makes it clear that they're supposed to be one and the same, the only direct connection that can be made is Mixmaster, whose Decepti-dog hood ornament and giant Decepticon insignia on his cement drum are highlighted both before the Constructicons transform on the boat (before they dive down to revive Megatron) and before Devastator is formed. If you weren't a longtime Transformers fan who knows who the Constructicons are and what their deal is, and weren't following the toyline either, you might reasonably think that Devastator was just a particularly huge member of the Constructicons who splits apart into several vehicles for his alternate mode(s).

Additionally, Revenge of the Fallen features lots of reuses of existing CG models and props, including Decepticons from the first film, and some of the Constructicons also have doppelgängers. Notably, the Shanghai battle at the beginning of the movie featured a Decepticon that eventually gets executed by Optimus Prime, and whose alternate mode is a white version of the excavator that forms a part of Devastator's torso. There are even individual Constructicons running around after Devastator has already be formed - both Mixmaster and Long Haul take part in the desert battle, and a robot that turns into a red version of the yellow bulldozer that forms (part of) Devastator's leg held Sam's parents captive and is killed by Bumblebee. A subtitle refers to the red bulldozer Decepticon robot as "Rampage", whereas the credits at the end of the movie refer to him by his early working name "Skipjack".

When it came to the toyline, Hasbro originally released the red version of the excavator as a non-combining Voyager Class figure named "Demolishor", and the yellow version of the bulldozer as a non-combining Deluxe Class figure named "Rampage", even though neither of them is ever seen in the movie in robot mode in these colors. Subsequently, both Hasbro and Takara released their own "movie robot mode accurate" white versions of Demolishor and red versions of Rampage, all of them still under those same character names.

There was also the Supreme Class Devastator figure, which was formed by six construction vehicles without individual robot modes. Here, the red excavator was named "Scavenger", while the yellow bulldozer was still named "Rampage".

Then Takara went and released seven Legends Class figures (the size later called "Legion Class", not the later Legends Class which was slightly larger) that could combine into Devastator, with Overload being the newly added member previously left out of the Supreme version. Hasbro subsequently released the Legends Devastator combiner as a Walmart exclusive gift set. Both Takara and Hasbro named the red excavator "Scavenger", and the yellow bulldozer "Rampage", with Takara also releasing a white "Demolishor" redeco of Scavenger and a red redeco of Rampage (named "Decepticon Rampage Desert Combat") as Toys"R"Us Japan exclusive campaign figures.

Then Hasbro released new, non-combining Legends Class figures of Rampage and Long Haul as part of the "Hunt for the Decepticons" line. Takara subsequently released a yellow redeco of this Legends Class Rampage as part of their "EZ Collection" range... and it was for this yellow redeco of Rampage that Takara, for the first time, established the yellow bulldozer as a separate character (rather than just "Rampage but yellow" as before) and gave him the early working name for ROTF Rampage, "Skipjack".

So to sum it up, we have:

ROTF movie - yellow bulldozer with no individual robot mode forms (part of) Devastator's leg, red bulldozer with individual robot mode is called "Rampage" by a subtitle and "Skipjack" in the credits
    ROTF Deluxe Class bulldozer toy, individual robot mode, doesn't combine - originally released in yellow, later released in red by both Hasbro and Takara, all toys are invariably named "Rampage" regardless of the color
    ROTF Supreme Devastator toy, no individual robot mode for the bulldozer - yellow, named "Rampage"
    ROTF Legends Class bulldozer toy, individual robot mode, combines - originally released in yellow by both Hasbro and Takara, red version only released by Takara, all toys invaraibly named "Rampage" regardless of the color
    HFTD Legends Class bulldozer toy, individual robot mode, doesn't combine - originally released in red as "Rampage", yellow redeco released by Takara as "Skipjack"

For Studio Series, Hasbro just took Takara's idea from 2010 and ran with it.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 12
  2. f-primusunicron

f-primusunicron i just wanna be loved

News Credits:
    Why people insist longhaul is not the model of the ss toy,? If you watch the scene where it first appears there is a very green dump truck but not the gigantic one that transformed in the megatron resurrection scene, but is closer to the the second dump truck although un green than it is to the concept and 2009 rotf design, it is just nostalgia clouded by the figure design that people grew up with and the individual giant longhaul people wanted, is not a 100% match there are some liberties taken but that clearly is not the one people THINK IT IS
    Screenshot_20200714_221904_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    Screenshot_20200714_221851_com.google.android.youtube.jpg Screenshot_20200714_221748_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  3. DrOblivian

DrOblivian Mad Doctor jAmS

I applaud the time and effort you took to write all this out.

4. idkwdya

idkwdya Nicks_Plastic_Shelf

Instagram:

• Like Like x 2
  5. xd Accrocate

xd Accrocate Tell Megatron, 'Let's tango'

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Does anyone have good pictures of that KO Skipjack?

6. Fc203

Fc203 Jazz is a Pontiac not a Porsche

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
  7. xd Accrocate

xd Accrocate Tell Megatron, 'Let's tango'

News Credits:
    Instagram:

• Like Like x 4
  8. RKStrikerJK5

RKStrikerJK5 number one Bangles fan on the boards

News Credits:
    Thinking it over... I have neither the money, space, want, or need for Skipjack. I'd feel compelled to get any and all Constructicon redecos they may put out, and then I'd really be screwed. :p 

• Like Like x 1
  9. DracoPrimal

DracoPrimal Nomenclature Nominator

Man, you rock!

10. MrYeet

MrYeet Kek

Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Does anyone got a link for Aoyi Mech skipjack?

11. Burnout00012

Burnout00012 SKREEEEEEEOONK

I gotchu.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I got mine from SirToys, he's not currently in stock I believe but do try and request it.

SS37 Rampage Yellow - TF-Movie - SirToys.com

• Like Like x 4
  12. Mercutio

Mercutio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I'm EXTREMELY late to the party, but after avoiding the Constructicon hunt for over a year, in the hopes of holding out for the eventual box set... I now accidentally own the whole team except Overload.

(Someone was selling a used set of seven locally for about HALF retail price. How was I supposed to pass that up??)

Definitely exciting to finally have them after waiting all this time (and expecting to wait even longer), in all their unique, monstrous, ugly glory. It's funny; I think their individual modes looked best in pictures, but so far the combined modes have impressed me the most in hand. The way Scavenger and Mixmaster re-shape themselves and lock together so solidly is just so cool and so well-thought-out by the designers... it requires thinking in so many different dimensions, if that makes sense.

Overall, the figures are good on their own, but you really need to put them together to appreciate all the thought that went into them. Definitely some of the most ambitious engineering I've ever seen on mainline figures.

After these guys, I would be ALL IN if Hasbro decides to make a G1 Devastator for the Studio Series 86 line eventually. I hope to see more ambitious combiner projects like this from them, anyway, because this definitely shows what they're capable of.

Now just waiting for Overload to show up in Canada to complete the team!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
  13. f-primusunicron

News Credits:
    None of the constructicons have diecast, it must be a ko, at least that scrapmetal

14. Mercutio

News Credits:
    The plot thickens! If it's a KO, sure seems identical to the retail release otherwise.

15. Hexatron

Hexatron Plastic crack junky

Yes, the KO Scrapmetal does have a die-cast chest. Aoyi Mech is making some pretty decent 1:1 KOs of this set. The sculpt tends to be slightly less crisp but on other terms that are pretty close to the official.

16. f-primusunicron

News Credits:
    As far as i remember they have only released scrapmetal rampage skipjack loghaul and payload so scavenger scrapper and mixmaster must be original

17. Mercutio

News Credits:
    Scrapmetal's the only one I have with diecast, and I can find "Tomy Vietnam" copyright stamps on the others... so looks like he's the only KO who snuck onto the team. But yeah, I'd never notice he was a KO otherwise! Quality seems fine.

Thanks for the info!

• Like Like x 2
  18. f-primusunicron

News Credits:
    If all the others are indeed original ,then you got a great deal

• Like Like x 2
  19. DrOblivian

DrOblivian Mad Doctor jAmS

I just had the best idea. (im not skilled enough to try this myself)

Hasbro could have made Devastator's face not only larger (and more accurate) but also included the opening grinder mouth with VERY little changes to the existing engineering.

Devote the entire cab section to only the upper half of devastators head (more space to allow a larger upper head)

And then the lower jaw halves could have been part of Mixmaster's feet. The legs don't attach to anything in combined mode anyway and this way you could use the existing leg articulation in Mixmaster for a big ass mouth that splits at the chin!

• Like Like x 1
  20. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    The legs notch into an area between wheels (via the feet). It's right in the instructions. The legs then rest on Overload's cab hinge panels to help support the upper weight.

• Like Like x 2