New IGN interview with Supervising Director of TF: Animated

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Cy-Kill, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Cy-Kill

Cy-Kill Slackers unite...tomorrow

Howdy,

IGN posted a new interview today with one of the people behind the new Transformers cartoon. A few more tibits of the show are explained, and more details are given on what the creative group hopes to achieve. A pretty decent interview, and it ties nicely with the previous one from a few weeks back!

http://tv.ign.com/articles/804/804860p1.html

2. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't that reported before on the boards ?

3. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Nope, I reported that one and it wasn't a full interview like this.

4. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    Still withholding judgment on this series until I actually see it (because what else can you do?), but I really like what this guy is thinking when it comes to the choices they're making with this show. If the execution can live up to the potential, I think we'll have a winner here.

5. lonegamer

lonegamer Lurking in your midst

Smart answers. He does have a point on "robot gang war" looking back at G1 but considering the era, it's fairly understandable.

With ya, Aberration. Art may suck but if execution is good, I'll take it.

6. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    So, when he mentions special abilities he means: teleporting, a hook in the right hand, energon axe, etc? ^^ that will be nice.

7. lonegamer

lonegamer Lurking in your midst

I'm guessing more along the lines of the Force Chip (Cyber Key) concept. Used when necessary or really need it.

Teleporting isn't all that special anymore, due to Skywarp and various TFs that has that ability. Short distance is a lot more feasible since long distance needs a lot more power to pull off and you have to know where you're going to end up.

8. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Well, this should be a winner. I mean, I'm still not crazy about the art style, but if the show's execution is good I'm cool with it. I just hope the toys looks as cool as everyone at Botcon is toting them to be, because I'm more of a fan of the figures than of the actual shows. Most of the times I end up writing my own bios for them.

I do like some of the ideas he's mentioned too. Like each of the Transformers having their own powers (like in G1) and if done properly it will look great.

9. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

:lolol  :thumb  So true. The 'fans' really need to get over themselves. Some of the 'fans' are the franchise's worst enemy.

As for the show I'm looking forward to it. Art style aside its the most blatant G1-tastic show since the cameos in BW. So many G1 guys are appearing, with original VA's, Wierd Al (!) I'll absolutely check it out.

The toys are a different story. Based on what I saw at the con, they're not something I want to have in my collection...then again we didn't see much. I'll give em a fair shake...if any of them can reasonably blend with Classics, great. If not, believe me I can use the break.

10. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thoughtcrime, can you describe the toys?

11. thoughtcrime

Sure. But my memory is already getting fuzzy on them. Most of the details are in the panel reports also.

Prime is getting a deluxe Cybertronic mode figure and a Voyager/Ultra sized Earth figure. We saw grey protos. His figures very faithfully retain the animated look of exaggerated heroic posing. Impressive, but not my thing. Very articulate, clear chest windows shaped like Star Convoy's, big chest & skinny legs. Looks like a boss from Ratchet & Clank honestly.

Bumblebee looks a bit better. He is like a simplified version of Classics Bee. Less detail, but retains G1 transformation. Overall I'd say he's a step backwards from Classics Bee. Collectors wont need him but some will buy him based on the strength of the character.

Megatron is impressive. One of his modes is a jet (again) with VTOLS. Not sure if thats Cybertron or Earth. The shape was similar to the Episode III Jedi Fighter in shape. He gets a new mode later. Robot mode was very angular, gaunt, and strongly G1. His armor looked almost layered. Had a nice G1 arm cannon with a hexagonal barrel and heat vents along the side. I'm looking forward to checking out his toy in more detail.

The audience was applauding by now. Then they showed Bulkhead. The crowd went dead. It was a respectful silence, which I was grateful for. No booing. But this guy looks exactly like the poster. Extremely fat & bulky. Gigantic torso and tiny, tiny legs and arms. Of everything we saw this guy will draw the most venom when the pics inevitably leak. Fanboy rage amuses me so I'm looking forward to this, lol. Unless his character really catches on with kids I can see this one shelfwarming.

The rest were lineart. Starscream is very skinny and almost girly looking, lol. He also looks like a direct copy of G1. His toy photo did not load so unfortunately I cant comment. Jet mode looks like G1 Cyclonus in SS color.

12. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the info! Hopefully Comicon will show pics.

13. iamalternated

iamalternated Barricade is not dead

I really hope Blitzwing and the Dinobots blend in well with Classics. I'll be happy to give it a chance. I didn't like Beast Wars at first, but by the end of season one I owned every TV character. By the end of the line I owned the whole show cast. I thought I would love Armada and I personally didn't like it (no offense to anyone that did, I just didn't). I always wait and see before I judge these things, even if I don't like it I'm sure the kiddies (such as my nephew) will love it.

14. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

I can't wait till SDCC, we should see pics of new Hasbro stuff in general
    -the future of GI Joe's 25th Anniversary Line
    -future Marvel Legends
    -hopefully a first look of new Universe figures (Sideswipe, Sunstreaker, Octane and the other figures in the first wave, I heard somewhere 8 deluxes)
    -hopefully protos for the Animated line.

This is a good time to be a fan!

15. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

I have to admit that this show looks more and more hopeful the more I hear about it. I'm cautiously optimistic right now.

16. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

Still not a big fan of the art design, but a lot of the story and character concepts seem great. They mentioned something that are going to anger the 'true fans' greatly too, and that WILL be amusing to watch. I'd like to see some of the Decepticon character designs, for sure.

17. thoughtcrime

I honeslty think this series will mark the first time the show is more popular then the toys among fans. Honestly, the show sounds great. With all the voice/production talent involved, Corey Frickin' Burton, cameos by G1 favorites, Wierd Al, Sue Blu, etc etc I think the show will be very enjoyable.

The toys however seem like exactly what I predicted a while back: another kid-friendly reboot. They look like Armada with articulation. I'm sure a handful of them will look decent but by & large I'll be saving some bucks (which I dont mind at all). I'll have GI Joe 25th to keep me busy anyway.

18. Slappytron

Slappytron Peace through Slapping

The story direction sounds great. The "UT" was terrible Japanimation with no characterization. Really, characterization is what made G1 popular, and that seems to be what they are focused on here. It might play a little childish, but we'll see.

As for the animation models, well, I dunno. There's really only one piece of art to go by right now. Still withholding judgment there. The toys I'll have to wait and see to decide on whether to collect the line or not.