New IDW TF comics by Chuck Dixon

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Das Bender, Jan 16, 2006.

1. DeathFrogurt

DeathFrogurt The frogurt is cursed!

So, every character's going to be a train? I'm trying to think of steam-powered vehicles from back then-- trains? "horseless carriages"? Freaking riverboats??? It sounds interesting, but if everything's steampowered we're going to see a lot of locomotives.

Is there some difference between steam-powered and steam punk, by the way?

2. TSFC

TSFC Banned

I first heard of this idea and thought WTF? But...I'm impressed. It's a cool alternate universe idea! :D 

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

This rocks, I can't wait to read it!

4. useless

useless Completely Unreasonable TFW2005 Supporter

Well for me its that if, as i described above they TF's are essentailly the same Cybertronian TF's we know now they won't actaully be steam powered at all: they'll simply be disguised as vehicles/machinerey that are steam powered. Like how in G1 the Autobots weren't actaully powered by petrol and the Decepticons weren't powered by aviation fuel: both were actaully powered by Energon (earth based fuel sources could be processed to form energon, but not directly injested)

Steampunk OTOH is where a comic or cartoon series implies that Victorian era technolgy could duplicate modern high tech (and/or higher tech), essentailly just through more massive engineering...

5. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

Steampunk is kind of a genre, in which elements of science fiction are mixed with the age of steam... that can be anything from technologists or time travellers secretly active during the period, to an alternative world that just uses the style (think something a bit like Phil Foglio's Girl Genius series.)

I don't think the Transformers will be literally steam-powered, necessarily. They may be hard-pressed for energy resources and resort to fossil fuels such as coal, or building big steam engines to generate electricity, though.

6. Angelophile1

Angelophile1 Mutant Monkeyboy

Eh, never heard of the writer, or read anything by him. Heard of the artist, but his art looks wholly unappealing.

This may be the first Transformers comic ever I don't pick up.

7. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

Let's see some coloured art first... it'll make a lot of difference to solid-shaded inks.