New IDW TF comics by Chuck Dixon

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Das Bender, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Pidgeot018

Pidgeot018 Pok├ęcon

Hopefully the Transformers in this series won't be delivering content for Valve games.

But I do wonder when and where exactly this series will be taking place. The Old West is nice, but technology there was not as common. Maybe the Atlantic Seaboard or Western Europe.

Edit: In the time it took me to post this, a picture was put up. Looks like America it is.

2. Silver Bullit

Silver Bullit Banned

Sounds looney to me. I can handle World War 2 TF's, maybe even World War 1 tf's... but steam driven? I'll be page flipping on thet issue befor I go buying it.

SB

3. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm really excited about this, especially after seeing the artwork.

Wrote a fanfic, I believe two years ago where the story of the tfs started in 1865 and they had to be steampowered. So, I'm really interested to see how they are going to pull this off.

4. Midnight Studio

Midnight Studio Banned

Yet one more reason TF comics keep getting screwed up.

Who's lame idea was this?

5. artiepants

artiepants Misses readable TF comics

News Credits:
    come onman, it's a side story: the whole Transformers:Evolutions concept is too let more established pros take on the TF in a continuity free environment were they can take the concept any direction the want, like 'What if...?' for Transformers.

and it's only a 4 issue mini...

6. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    And I hope it stays to small runs like that. With small runs you can take ideas, let them run their course and move on. The last thing I want to see is shelves clogged with TF comics.

7. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Oh noes, something original by bankable industry names rather then more old hat by people that only interest the miniscule established fanbase.

8. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I love that artwork. It's right up my alley, stylish and sleek yet gritty and detailed. Awesome! Steam punk flavored TFs is a cool idea, if it's done right it'll be a great series. I'd love to see some toys like that in the future, though it's probably not likely.

9. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    I don't know what to think about this right now, but I'll grant the idea sounds interesting and Chuck Dixon is a good writer.

I'll wait to see colored art to decide whether I'll get it or not.

-airfox

10. artiepants

News Credits:
    speaking of which, Josh are you gonna be on this?

11. Foster

Foster Haslab Unicron Backer #10 Veteran

News Credits:
    More like oh noes, something riding LoXG's coattails and shoehorning a franchise where it doesn't belong rather than leaving sci-fi in the present and future where it belongs.

I'll bet Tom Sawyer replaces Spike Witwicky and Huck Finn replaces Kicker. Thumbs down.

12. artiepants

News Credits:
    i didn't consider it as riding LoXGs coattails at all, and why does sci-fi belong in the present and future? War of the Worlds was written like 100 years ago, and BW was set in the distant past... and again,it's a series designed for alternate takes, it won't affect the main neo-g1 story...

actually i really like that idea...

13. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I wish I had coat tails that were almost 4 years long.

Whatever next eh, Transformers turning into animals on prehistoric earth?

Science didn't exist in the past? Thats news to me.

14. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was just thinking the other day of something along this line, but further back- Maybe a subline of Pirates TFs, or Medieval TFs. Imagine Fortress Maximus as a castle, or Megatron as a huge ship flying the Jolly Roger...

-Tony!

15. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

If it's like LoEG rather than LXG, I'll be ecstatic. Love me some Alan Moore comics, I do...

Plus I don't know much about the industrial revolution from an American perspective, so picking up stuff about people/myths such as John Henry will be interesting.

Agree with Josh that the art shares some pleasant similarities with Senior.

The one reservation I had to start with was the length. It sounds as if Dixon has an interest in the period and will be able to fill four issues with detail as well as whatever his core plot is, though. As for how the mechanics work... I hope that won't be glossed over... :) 

16. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    not as far as i know

i still gots Beast Wars to color still so :D 

17. Foster

News Credits:
    It's hard to get excited about a TF comic that isn't based on any actual toys ever coming out for it. And I'm not a comic collector anyway, I'm a toy collector who will pick up comics featuring the toys I like.

Granted, there COULD be some cool toys from this, but Hasbro would never make them. Niche market, dying medium, no matter what comic fanboys tell themselves.

18. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

Is it? The only reason I wanted TFs as a kid (with the possible exception of the Dinobots) was the stories about them... and it was extremely frustrating that the characters in the books and comics rarely seemed to be on the shelves.

(We did have things slightly better towards the end, with the Classic Heroes line released in Europe.)

Then there were the characters that were cool in comics (Nightbeat, Bludgeon, etc) and featureless bricks as toys.

19. Foster

News Credits:
    :lol  Other way around for me. I wanted the stories because I wanted to see more characterization for my few G1 toys. Then it became symbiotic, which was Hasbro's nefarious marketing plan all along. In addition to seeing my toys in stories, I'd see characters who had toys out I didn't have, which led me to want to pick those up, which led me to comic back issues and buying G1 tapes from a guy on a.t.t. in the late 90s, which led to garage sales for more toys, .jpgs of the UK comics online, beast wars on tv, BW2/BWNeo from bigbadtoystore, G1 loose TFs on ebay, tv-nihon, Takara and Hasbro G1 reissues, Dreamwave, Alternators...

Viscious damn cycle.

20. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

Actually,,,, Although I'm not really fond of that guy's art, the thought of a Victorian interpertation of Cybertron would be mind blowing! :rock 

I'm thinking 19th Century World's Faire, Blackpool England Iron and glass massive chambers. Hmmm, Movie references? There was some Disney stuff along those lines when I was a kid, Chitty chitty bang bang, Mary Poppins, and 20,000 Leauges. Some of the stuff from the original Charlie & the Chocolate Factory movie too. The train stations from the 1800's.

I'll try to find some visual references on the google.

EDIT: a few reference pics:
    Westing house at Chicago World's Fair,,, notice celing?
    Disney's Atlantis, I like the sub.
    The Legendary Crystal Palace
    another
    another
    another
    another,,, this place burned down over a century ago.
    The Cygnus!
    Come to think of it, this is another Disney movie