New IDW Series for 2008: All Hail Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tim Formas, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    It also could be a prequel to Infiltration.

2. Infosaur

Infosaur Ancient Cybertronian

Oh almost forgot,,, Earth-mode Hardhead FTW! :thumb 

3. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Sounds pretty cool. No heroes coming to save the day?
    I'm thinking this is going to be a pretty dark story. Human 'resistance' vs Decepticon supremacy?

I just love that we might have a story where the Autobots don't make everything better, the great Optimus Prime isn't coming to save Earth, and the Decepticons finally win?

4. Firecracker

Firecracker Born in a wind tunnel

News Credits:
    Shane made it clear that this is going to be a big 'shake-up'... ie: something we haven't seen before. The program also (repeatedly) showed a sketch of Generation 1 Starscream looking very tall and powerful, I guess with sort of 'Dreamwave'-y proportions. Certainly not like his appearance in IDW's -ation arc. However, it wasn't stated that this had anything to do with the future comic or not.

5. thygriever

thygriever Optimus Prime

News Credits:
    no autobots!? wuttttt

6. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Given the writer's previous works on Batman, I'm really having a positive vibe about this, as he seems to be pretty strong on characterisation and flashing out minor villains and characters. If he does the same here, it'll be gold. :) 

And we don't need no friggin Autobots in this story. Power struggles between Megs, Shockwave and Starscream with the string-pulling 'real power behind the curtains' Soundwave in the background would be totally enough for a strong story.

7. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's really unlikely that the Bots will leave a planet rich in Ore-13 in the hands of the Decepticons. Prime also just asked for reinforcements and Hound, Sideswipe and many others are on the way to Earth now...

Also, logic dictates Simon Furman will never, EVER give the reign of the main IDW storyline to another writer. There is already a confirmation of a new storyline set after Devastation written by him (can't recall the title) that deals with the 'Dead Universe' stuff (Nemesis/Nova Prime, Jhiaxus, Galvatron...)

8. Railguard

Railguard Battalion Commander

Ebay:
    sounds cool

9. M3Gr1ml0ck

M3Gr1ml0ck Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree about the non-Furman story, but I have to say that "Megatron: Origin" was everything but Megatron-centric ;) 

About Autobots leaving Earth, I'd point out Devastation #5 and #6 blurbs:
    "OPTIMUS PRIME makes a fateful decision that will forever affect the future of planet Earth!"

and

"Where are the Autobots in Earth's darkest hour? The answer will leave readers reeling."
    [/SPOILERS]

By the way, this "Earth without Autobots" reminds me a bit of some G1 Marvel issues, where the whole Autobot army was stranded on the Moon, thus allowing Ratbat's and Scorponok's Decepticons to do as they liked with Earth: the thing remained highly undeveloped (and stories were silly: I mean, Skullgrin as a movie star, the Roadjammers...) and Autobots were back in action after a few issues, but the idea was there.

Oh, and Bludgeon's attack on Earth in G2 comics had pretty the same context: an Autobot-free Earth.