New High Quality G1 KO's - Carded Constructicons

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Ruination04, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't know a thing about the MMs and really don't care for them. I just wanted to report the news on the upcoming Constructicons. I have the KO gift set and I love it. It goes great with my others as I have said before.
    I wish poeple would quit saying how you can get a loose complete original for the same price. I don't want that so quit saying that! Give me an original authentic MISB Devastator gift set for $80 and we'll talk. Until then, I am fine with KOs that look like the real thing filling in holes where I can't afford the real one. Or where a reissue simply does not/can not exist.
    I do feel bad for people who get tricked into thinking they are authentic however.

2. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    Well, I do need a G1 Devs to stick all those CrazyDevy pieces on to... hrm.

Maybe cheaper for originals on the bay.

3. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

As has been stated OVER AND OVER, some people want the genuine article, some are happy with a copy of it.
    For me, a KO, no matter the quality, is just junk. I wouldn't pay a $ for it. Please respect that, as I respect people 'accepting' it as original.
    To be lured into buying a KO set on ebay fex, for me that's the ultimate problem. I've got no problem with KO's that openly identify themselves as such, but the recent release of G1 cars has me quite annoyed.
    It is a REAL problem for people trying to collect the real article.

Is THAT so hard to understand???

4. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I understand perfectly people who collect for collecting's sake, and want their collection to be pure original.

I understand the problem of KOs being advertised as originals, but since the "purists" know what they're looking for, I see no problem in getting themselves informed a little more on which are KOs and which are original. That can only enhance the end feeling of owning an original piece. So I absolutely see no reason why their is so much crying over the new KO releases, unless people want to own and brag about the original collection with as little effort as posible. Which blows the whole point of collecting IMO.

And sorry, I do hate to get technical, but the definition of junk certainly doesn't fit my G1 Sandstorm bootleg or the MM patrols I bought last year (if they are KOs) or any other KO/bootleg I have on display. I can certainly make a difference between what is junk and what is isn't when KOs and bootlegs are in question. Since you haven't "dirtied your hands" with such "junk", you have no authority to express your opinion on any KO/bootleg figure unless you actualy had an on-hand experience with them or their quality is a wide-spread knowledge.

5. snkeyes069

snkeyes069 Legend in his own mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Are you serious? Your position is that substituting KOs for authentic product is okay because 1) the cost is low 2) the physical quality is high and 3) allows people to have toys they missed previously. Am I missing anything here?

Not that I am a huge fan of corporations and profiteering, but you neglect some important points:
    1) Hasbro-Takara-Tomy invested resources, time and talent to develop these toys in the first place. The KO maker comes along, remolds the toy, steals the packaging design and pumps out copies with minimal development costs (compared to what Has-Tak-Tom invested). You have no moral issue with this?

Also, this means no $$ to Has-Tak-Tom for development of new product from these illegal streams. The KOs of current products do have an impact in the bottom line (older discontinued products like the Constructicons- less so).

2) For the collector market, KOs reduce demand for the authentic product, which reduces the value of the original piece. These artificially low prices may be good news if you're building a collection, but what about those of us who have 25 years invested in collecting? Is it fair to us to lose value of our investments so you can have an illegally produced copy?

3) As a general rule, originals are most prized through all circles of collecting, not just TF collecting. You'll see this prominantly in book collecting, where 1st editions go for a great deal of $$. Similarly, many TF collectors are looking for the real deal, not a good KO. For example, many of us love the re-issues of Optimus Prime, but would jump at the chance of owning an original, 1984 original in box. Sure there are KOs and re-issues that are "just as good", but we're not buying the toy, we're buying the history of what a specific piece represents.

This doesn't even get into the legality of selling/purchasing unlicensed product. And if you're a variant collector, KOs are beyond evil.

Bottom line is this: Stop telling people who have no desire to own KOs to "shut up". There are many valid reasons for disliking KOs, regardless of whether you choose to accept those reasons.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  6. Yobuster

Yobuster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Damn, to think i saw the micromasters in Singapore about 2-3 weeks ago. THey were going for like SGD$5-8 a set and i was thinking they were such a deal thinking they were the real thing. Lucky i didn't buy them.

I saw some G1 mini-bot KOs for sale too. The store owner told me they were KOs, however when i look at the packaging and stuff, the packaging had that "weathered" old look to it. I mean the cards were creased or faded just like as if it was 20yrs old.

KOs are KOs but i wish the sellers of KOs don't try to pass it off as the real thing. I have no problem paying for what i know it to be but i don't want to get scammed if i paid for one thing and got another.

7. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Yes, I am serious. Hasbro/Takara/Tomy have invested money and resources and they got that money back 20 years ago with profit. I have absolutely no qualms in buying quality KOs or bootlegs of figures Has/TakTomy has no intention of reissuing for the fraction of the cost.

Bottom line is: I won't stop telling people who don't like KOs to shut up not because they don't like KOs, but because they generalize and call "junk" and "crap" something that isn't junk or crap. I have no problem when people say Big Lots combiner KOs are crap, because they mostly are.

And if you're collecting for the "investments" and "profit", you're on the wrong track. You could have invested that cash smarter. I have been collecting transformers since I first came into contact with them, which is 20 or so odd years, and I collect them for personal reasons and value, I don't collect for commercial value. If that was the case I would have invested my money in a bank or in bussiness and get a better profit in 10 years with that, than waiting that time for my figures to rise in value.

Hey, for that price it was a steal. But it's your money, you do with it what you want. Nobody here has any right to tell you otherwise.

I agree with this. And it is a problem. But it's no excuse for KO naysayers to rag on all KOs. If a seller is trying to pass KOs as the real deal, jump on his ass and report the sucker. But don't report a seller that clearly posted an "unofficial reissue" for what he's selling, and that's the thing some "crusaders" here have been doing because "OMFG, they're selling KOs!!" .

8. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    thats a shame all i need was bonecrusher i accidently brock his legs off intransformation hes fixed but looks weird & cheap with the screw holding his legs in place.

plus nothing wrong with knockoffs as long there in originla colors save money that way dont want to spend 400 or more on original transformer, or combiner go for knock off stickers look cheap but who really cares them they fall off anyway, city transfromerers cant say much about them in ko community

not trying o start a fight with this but maybe if hasbro & takraa would release more encore, or repaints figures of g1 as combiners, ultra magnus, cassetes everything except city formers poeple wouldnt be planning on buying kos every now then i own few ko most are combiners why i bought ko
    1. cheaper what i found on ebay
    2. half the price or less
    3. does anyone know how fortress maximus or anyother city former is going on ebay now excluding metroplex ( i think metroplex is the only cheaper on ebay for complete figure ) but if they made ko of any other city former in the same exact size & color for half the price ill take it fortress maximus, now what would you buy ko of fortress maximus for 200 or less or go on ebay for fortressmaximus geniune version buy him for 1,000 or more complete when maximus was only how much in stores when he was first released 99.99 - 150.00 store price on the shlef ill go for ko instead paying for transfromer paying 200 or more for transformer is ripoff for me ( mp transformers are little exception to me you get what you paid for detail transformation, accesorys & yes i will agree mp grimlock was expensiv could have lowerd price on him though.

but for transformers that smaller than mp, unircon & primus, metoplex & paying 300 or more to me its not worth it you know how many transformers or gijoe, dc comic figures you buy for 300 instead paying 300 or more on one smaller transformer thast half size of deluxe becasue its the real dael & not ko save money on toy thats size pop can & spend 200 or more or save your self money & but it complete for half the or less when its ko same size & color

thats just my opionin on the subject

9. chansformers

chansformers butcher of the bots

News Credits:
    Personally,I have quite a few ok's in my collection ranging from the cool and zany ones to the outright g1straigjt up ko.the biggest issues I have is when unscrupulous sellers pass them off as the real thing. It's true that the buyer should do as much research as possible,but sometimes there's just no way to tell. If it looks to good to be true...... And then there's also the safety issue.constructicon scrapper comes to mind here. The originals canopy stuck on pretty good whereas these ok's haven't gone through the same stringent safety tests that hasbro uses.who are you going to sue after paying for surgery after your child swallowed scrappers canopy which barely held In place in the first place because it was a ko?ive also been collecting tf's since back in 83-84,and it's getting harder and harder to tell the difference.IMHO though,if I had to choose between a cheap(of expensive lately)ko or a pricier but "authentic" original I'd be paying for the real deal. Just the feeling of knowing that your originals in you collection are real and not fakes makes it worth it.what happens if you end up ever having to sell your boys but by then you bought so many ko's that you cannot even remember what's real or not?do you sell it ad 100%authentic and pray that no one finds out?

10. Blueshift

Blueshift Bloop

Yeah, the ones from Auto Assembly were from the same warehouse find as BBTS, and multilingual European versions. I'm absolutely convinced that they are the real deal, or else someone has gone to a lot of trouble to expertly repro sets of figures that let's face it, hardly anyone cares about. And then age the cards!

Figures that are being knocked off are the ultra expensive carded ones, like the tapes and Constructicons. I imagine their productions runs are also small and costly, selling them as cheap as the MM ones would be insane and a huge loss.

11. Yobuster

Yobuster Well-Known Member

News Credits:

12. steamsixliner

steamsixliner Well-Known Member

- Couldn't agree more. Trying to pass of newly produced KOs as authentic product (like the person sending out the e-mail is obviously doing) is, in my book, no different from stealing from both Hasbro and those fans who are fooled by those scammers while looking for real product. If Hasbro were thinking of making an Encore Devastator, they'd likely abandon the idea due to the market being flooded by expensive junk. Yes, I called them junk because that's what it is to me. Pure junk that's not worth a $ in my eyes.

13. Foster

Foster Haslab Unicron Backer #10 Veteran

News Credits:
    There are also photos out there of this MM assortment in vintage Hasbro cardboard boxes, stacked as though on pallets. Why mass produce those as well, in some elaborate effort to deceive collectors, then admit they are KOs? I feel they're falsely labelled knockoff and collectors should buy with confidence.

14. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Oh no he's got to go! go go my budget!

News Credits:
    I have no problem buying a KO as a KO or selling one as such its when people try to pass them off as the legit items and for legit prices thats when i get angry

15. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

The MiniBots KOs ARE OLD, IIRC some of them were produced in the 90s and some are recent but at least a few years old. They were one of the first genuine looking KOs produced.

As for the MicroMasters set, I have reasons to believe that they are genuine:

1) As mentioned, the warehouse find(There have been several warehouse finds throughout the years, those I can remember are a limb of Predaking(Can't remember who) and Sky Garry.) Funny thing is that in my area, there seem to be an abundance of Sky Garry and the MicroMasters sets no one wants to buy to the extend that toy stores are selling them dirt cheap.

2) Some of my local toy store carries them and I know them well enough to label a KO as a KO or a remake

3) Noticed that they don't have the shiny cardboard recent KOs normally have?

16. Blueshift

Blueshift Bloop

Yeah, I've never yet seen a knockoff that has had its card artificially aged. It seems a bit counterproductive to me!

17. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    Since you're news staff, can you correct the front page post about it?

18. Foster

Foster Haslab Unicron Backer #10 Veteran

News Credits:
    :lol  why didn't I think of that!

19. Nemesis_Dirge

Nemesis_Dirge Banned

News Credits:
    here we go yet again...KO'S are EVIL!

folks this is simple...if you do not like them...shut up and do not buy them!

I however...like and support them...like on TV>..do not like the TV channel...do not watch it...

20. Oracle_Aesir

Oracle_Aesir Outback is back

News Credits:
    I like how people are moaning about spending money on knock offs here, when those same people probably splash out alot of money on Fanproject stuff, which are unofficial toys in themselves