new generation of generation 1 fans

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by kajobaldisimo, Oct 8, 2010.

1. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    with the G1 tf cartoon series airing in the Hub plus numerous uploads in youtube, there will probably be new kids who will be into it and are gonna wanna collect the figures based on those.

when they grow up and have more disposable income, you think they will hunt down the original and/or encore G1 toys or just go with the Updates (CHUGs)?

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I think they'll probably go for the CHUGs.

3. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No. They'll be watching TF: Prime instead.

4. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

By the time they've grown up there will have been many more TF series to argue about which rendition of each charcater is the 'definitive' one.

5. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I would also say CHUG. I grew up with G1, but I would not want to buy the original toys nowadays, when they have better releases in CHUG.

For example I'm proud of still having my Powermaster Prime, but when they would release a proper updated version of him, I would instantly replace him.

And kids that grow up so many years later, with toys engineered on a much higher level, why would they want the old bricks then?

6. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The majority of us with G1 toys have them because we were TF fans back in the days when G1 was around for the first time. I don't think that the G1 toys, with their inferior posability, would retain any mainstream popularity if not for the nostalgia effect.

7. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    i think this is the very reason we are getting some of the chug figures we are now (jazz wheeljack, and others of the g1 series) lord only knows how long the hub has been in the works. realistically the g1 cartoon doesnt look quite as dated as some of the others from that period if you still watch it (dvd set) take robotech for example

now put it up against some of the other newer anitmation where its all done by computer and its not quite up to bar but not blown away either

so i can see it picking up some new fans but i dont think they would be into the orignal toys as much as some of us are

8. collectthem

collectthem Banned

You guys confuse yourselves with the kids this stuff is made for.kids don't care a "defenative Prim", or 98 points of articulation. If G1 soundwave was on the shelf with the new toys at the same prices, he would be picked up...Because he is a cool toy! I wish you guys would remember that Transformers are not made for you or to please your articulation and %100 show accuracy needs. There has not been a Prime with trailer in years and when the TRU ri was on the shelves....kids loved it.

9. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i think so too.

i'm sure they will. but we're talking about NEW G1 fans.

true. makes me wonder how HasTak will 'update' the updates (CHUGs) in the future.

true. maybe if that kid is uber hardcore?

good point! i love the classics but i think it'll be wise to hold on to my encores too.

yes. 80's tf have dated stories and errors but artwise, still kicks!

point taken. but we're talking about this kids when they're older and buy stuff with their own money. that age, i assume, they'll prefer more articulation and accuracy, to pose and look at, not so much to play with.

and yeah, g1 soundwave is my classics soundwave so i get what you mean.

10. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    In a word? Diaclone

11. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    If there are kids out there that find themselves really craving transformin' robits after watching TF Prime, they'll start digging around. I'm sure it won't take them long to either figure out that the Classics/Universe/Generations stuff is tied to the G1 cartoon or vice versa.

12. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    nostalgia of G1 will most likely die with this generation of TF fans (aka us) for the most part.

13. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

I think the G1 cartoon is being used as filler programming. Some kids are just going to wonder why today's episode TF Prime looks so cruddy.

14. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

There's not going to be a new generation of G1 fans. Sorry. We're it.

15. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I think they'd be more into the movies. That's what's big during this generation.

16. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    I don't think you're looking at this from the perspective of a child. I can think of TONS of shows I loved when I was a kid that were made long before my time and had 'cruddy' animation or filming. the Flintstones, the Jetsons, Mighty Mouse, Rocky & Bullwinkle, My favorite Martian, Lost in Space, Star Trek, the list goes on. I never drew any distinctions between what was old and what was new - it was all entertainment to me and I either liked them or didn't. I've had several conversations with my friends about current VS. old entertainment and they all remember watching television the same way. They also have children who watch the same crappy old shows as they did and are just as happy to watch them as anything new. Children aren't the same picky, pissy, pricky, hypercritical supernerds that most of us are. They don't neccessarily require something to be new and flashy in order to enjoy it. It's funny but children in general are far more open-minded and accepting of different things than adults are. :) 

17. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I recently downloaded season 1 of G1 on iTunes and just to see what would happen I loaded the episodes onto the iPod Touch I handed down to my 7 year old daughter. She loves G1! She's stolen my copy of the movie to watch in her room and talked me into getting her Cybertron Adventures for her Wii. If she sees a Volkswagen Bug, she tells Bumblebee hello (different colors are just different outfits apparently) and once got all excited watching two F-15s land at the Fort Hood airport facility ("Daddy, look! Thundercracker and Skywarp!" - I asked where Starscream was and she told me on the asteroid with Bruticus (I youtubed Starscream's Brigade for her)).

I have a feeling G1 will have a life as long as people still enjoy and share it with the following generations.

P.S. I let my daughter watch the first live action movie, and while she liked it, she told me the cartoon was better because Optimus shouldn't have a mouth, and she didn't like Bumblebee talking like a radio.

18. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    I have to agree with eriku on this. When we were kids, as along as the cartoon was entertaining, we were into it regardless of what decade it was in. And it actually exposed to a lot more than what the "now and wow" were at the time.

Could kids could become a fan of G1, sure! I'd say they wouldn't be as hardcore about it as the stuff they are growing up with. But that won't stop them from learning and becoming fans of the history.

19. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Yeah, I am going to kinda disagree. When I was a kid I dreamed of having perfect renditions of the cartoon characters. 25 years later, it appears that others dreamed the same thing, a la Masterpiece line. Kids aren't stupid. Though they would pick up Soundwave, because we have NEVER had a good one other than the very expensive Music Label, and none of them held tapes/minibots.

20. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

There's always someone who says they showed it to their child and OMG their child loved it. It doesn't reflect the child demographic at large, though. Not all children, in fact not even most, grow up in a house with a rabid Transfan.

While there are always going to be a few random ones, for the most part, we're it. Accept it.