New Flame Toys products: The Fallen, Jetpower armour, Windblade and others...

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Cheem The Rup, Dec 19, 2018.

1. bigsteve03

bigsteve03 Well-Known Member

Weird how the same people complaining about Windblade being too attractive for their sensibilities aren't raging over the countless male transformer crotch bulges that have to be shown off in a thrust post every single time.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Boople Barp

Boople Barp Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    I guess the argument is that it's okay because we like it? Seems weird when plenty of girls will like this Windblade...

• Like Like x 3
  3. Dremare

Dremare It's pronounced "dreh-mare"

So since I'm not familiar at all with Flametoys model kits, I decided to take a look on BBTS, Entertainment Earth, and Amazon to see the prices, and yea, these are really, really expensive. Like the cheapest price was still $35, so it's not something a kid, not even a 15 year old, could just get with like, pocket change. You're gonna need adult permission to get that.

Like I know that there are regular Transformers that cost about as much, but the thing is those are built to at LEAST endure some rough housing. With model kits, those things are a bit more brittle, and for the price you're paying for them, I doubt you'd want to do anything more than just simple poses with them.

Looking at the age range for building the model kits, I think that's more a formality of "yes, a kid this old can build this on their own", rather than "yes, this is meant for kids".

4. GAUGE

GAUGE Professional Digital Artist

News Credits:
    I whipped this up just to see if I could. It may not be accurate, but I know it's pretty close.

WargodARTSWindbladeDigibash.png

• Like Like x 10
  5. Zappit

Zappit Well-Known Member

Because Transformers don’t have d***s, and they never have. Why do they need to retroactively add boobs and sculpted asses to female Transformers?

I guess the question is - do the bulges make you uncomfortable? I mean, really? Do you find it disrespectful to the character?

Honestly, if you do feel uncomfortable, that’s how a significant portion of the fandom feels about this model.

6. Boople Barp

Instagram:
    Why are they uncomfortable though? Even at the lowest level of enjoyment, all it says is that some guys (maybe some girls, too) want something they find sexually enticing. It might be weird, but in terms of plastic models, this kind of culture is par for the course. This line is part of the same market that is being dominated by Frame Arm Girls. If knowing Frame Arm Girls exists disturbs people, I'm not sure what can reasonably done about that.

• Like Like x 7
  7. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Since I guess Im sexist if I like this Windy then it's only fair I get to call people homophobic if they say they don't like bulges on Transformers? :D 

• Like Like x 9
  8. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    Awesome. Thanks :D 

9. Zappit

Zappit Well-Known Member

Frame Arms is its own thing, though, and people know what to expect from it. Something like this coming so far out of left field in Transformers, though...

And the thing is, I don’t remember anyone complaining about the robo-bulges on the male Flame Toys models. That’s the biggest difference here, and that’s what makes that particular argument so disengenuous. If people had said they felt uncomfortable, I’d be vocally supporting those folks, too.

End of the day, I want fans to feel comfortable in this fandom. TFs have been one of the few fandoms that felt more accepting than gatekeeping over the last decade.

MLP? Bronies creeped it up.
    Star Wars? Holy God, did it get toxic.
    Steven Universe? They set a new standard in toxic.

It’s been one fandom after another, after another, after another succumbing to sexist, toxic nonsense. This one had stayed above that. The worst we had was the G1 v Bayverse, or “Truck, not monkey”. Over the last 24 hours, TF fandom crossed that line, and now a decent-sized portion of this fandom feels uncomfortable and unwelcome. It’s not just the design, it’s the reaction from people who so easily dismissed their feelings, or told them their feelings didn’t matter. It was so difficult for them to have the slightest bit of empathy. Because of this, we probably will lose some good people from the fandom.

I’ve never used the Ignore feature on any users in all the years I’ve been here. I’ve used it multiple times today.

We had a chance to stick up for our fellow fans who suddenly felt uncomfortable and less welcome, and far too many people in the community just didn’t care.

• Like Like x 4
  10. octobotimus

octobotimus Plastic Criminal

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That’s not what this thread or post has taught me.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    These models aren't affecting the mainlines and are usually sold in hobby/comic shops. Barnes and Nobles sells the kits in their section with Gunpla, far and away from kids toys(at least at my local stores). If there wasn't a market for these models, these wouldn't have gained traction and got officially licensed.

The brand is getting bigger and getting more traction in venues it wasn't entering into before. Just shows that there's something for everyone and any given Transformers fan doesn't necessarily like all incarnations of Transformers. There was an opportunity to be made and Hasbro jumped on it, giving Flame Toys a shot with these models. I think the way they saw it, might as well give these guys a shot and make some bank off of it.

• Like Like x 10
  12. Dremare

Dremare It's pronounced "dreh-mare"

I mean, I have no issue with people not liking or feeling uncomfortable about Flametoys Windblade. I even totally understand why they might feel that way. What I'm personally taking issue with is the fact that some of those people just won't let the people who do like Flametoys Windblade do so in peace.

Like if you don't like it, just don't get it. Let people who do want to, though. It's not fair to let those people decide what happens with a product, especially when they had no intention to get it in the first place. There's no harm in letting people who like it and want to get it. It's not like someone's gonna go "YOU HAVE TO BUY THIS FIGURE YOU DON'T WANT, OTHERWISE I WILL MAKE YOU REGRET IT". EDIT: Another thing I think I should add, you shouldn't really accuse people of being like, sexist or stuff like that. Like, you're not gonna be winning people over if you accuse them of things like that.

And I'll repeat what I found out earlier, it's a model kit that, despite the age range of 15+, is likely in the range of $35-90, something that most kids would probably NOT be able to afford on their own.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 11
  13. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    This. And at the cost of getting a bit political, I find it hilarious that men are championing women's rights yet get puritanical about women representations. I get being disappointed but let's wait to see if the next female kit is a good rep or not before calling out the lunch mob yeah?

There's being an ally of rights then there's being privileged and taking up a cause that isn't yours as your own.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Truth be told, kids probably won't even see it unless they venture into the model kit section of Barnes and Nobles or a hobby shop. Even if they did, the price alone is a barrier from getting it. I've read from numerous reviews that FlameToys model kit polycaps are prone to failure so that's another thing that ought to be kept in mind. As a parent, polycap failure would be concerning as well as for a fan. There's members here who built FlameToys Furai kits and handle their kits with care and still had cracked polycaps.

Hasbro/Takara officially licensing these kits is like an official admission that the Transformers brand does have more traction with older fans(which is something that's been downplayed in the past at cons/presentations). I'm glad they're licensing the brand out.

• Like Like x 5
  15. MrUniqZ

MrUniqZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I think she looks good for what type of toy it is. I think Furai model somewhat vacillating between stylized IDW/G1 and anime style in their stuff...I think it threw people off. This windblade is pretty modest compared to what I’ve seen.

16. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    ...and as a reminder, let's keep political stuff out, thanks

• Like Like x 4
  17. Jhund

Jhund Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    oh yeah ... that being said regarding the polycaps , anyone found which polycap replacements fits the flametoy kits that has the best durability ?

18. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Wont speak for anyone else, but if I was one of the few Cybertron female warriors, knowing the species was made mostly of males... you’re damn right I would use any “sexyness” that I could as a tool to get info without killing them.

Would manipulate an entire army of pervs to do my bidding, just before they die.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Boople Barp

Instagram:
    I agree that people should be able to feel uncomfortable, but if there is no feasible way to continue normal business without grossly offending them, I am not sure what can be done. I highly question whether many of the people who are offended even want to buy model kits, and I can't help but feel a bit offended myself that people outside of this niche and largely harmless interest are intent on killing portions of it that they personally don't like. If they can feel valid in being uncomfortable about this kit, I think other people are valid in feeling uncomfortable that people want this kit cancelled.

• Like Like x 2
  20. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Noah's Freshman Project

News Credits:
    Literally what?

Transformers, as a brand, has survived for over 30 years without T&A. It doesn't suddenly need it now.

• Like Like x 2