New Edition Miniseries on BET

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Sylent, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

Being a child of the 80's (and 90's, somewhat), I can't wait for this series. Since there was no internet at the time, I didn't have access to all the drama, only the music, which I loved. I hope this miniseries is as good as the Temptations documentary movie.

The New Edition Story

2. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Thanks for the reminder -- I just set my DVR.

My wife was really excited about this, so here's hoping it's good.

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I don't care about celebrity drama, but I'd watch this just for a retrospective on their music. Too bad I don't have cable.

4. Sylent

I'm interested to see what really happened between Bobby Brown and Michael Bivens. I heard the two routinely got into fist fights during rehearsals, which led to Brown being kicked out of the group a la David Ruffin from the Temptations.

I wasn't crazy about this series being on BET because I have a basic satellite package that doesn't include the channel, however, I ordered the premium package for a month just to watch this series.

5. Sylent

I've been enjoying this series thus far, particularly the music. I had no idea that Bobby Brown was this much of a problem child or that Ralph Tresvant was a closet egomaniac. I'm shocked that there weren't more fist fights.

The group's rendition of Can you stand the rain was great, but none of those kids could hold a candle to the originals... and is it just me or does anyone else see Hakeem Lyon and not Michael Bivens? :p 

6. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

We've only watched the first part so far, but it's quite good.

Though, I do feel slightly ashamed that I didn't know that Bell Biv DeVoe came out of New Edition. I knew Bobby was originally part of NE, but didn't know about the BBD connection. When I confessed this to my wife, she just looked at be like I was a dumbass. Oops.

7. dxorcist

dxorcist Well-Known Member

Just finished watching Part 1 and 2 last night. The music, the dancing, brings me back to when I first heard 'Cool It Now' on the radio.

8. Sylent

I thoroughly enjoyed this miniseries. I'm glad they're all still alive. After watching the end, I went to youtube and watched the BET awards special where they performed, and they recreated that stage reunion scene almost to the tee.

I completely forgot the super crooners group, LSG: Gerald Levert, Keith Sweat and Johnny Gill. So much musical history in this series.