New Age Legends Scale Devastator

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by NOCV, Mar 5, 2021.

1. grimtnt

grimtnt Paradox

Cue the "Transformers: Cybertron" theme

• Like Like x 2
  2. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    BEFORE THE GYM vs AFTER THE GYM

They both look great. Excellent representations that hit all of the marks but look different enough to appeal to different tastes. I know we laugh about these two companies not being able to let one put something out without the other putting its own out, but we're the ones that benefit from the competition between them. It's an amazing time to be a collector, and I pity the fool that gets into these bots a year or more from now, when all they can do is pay aftermarket prices.

• Like Like x 9
  3. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cries in I want Fanstoys Grinder.

• Like Like x 2
  4. DrCalligari

DrCalligari Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Me too, which is weird for me. Maybe I'll do MS for combined and New Age for bot mode.

• Like Like x 4
  5. FredVIII

FredVIII HUMAN GERM!

News Credits:
    :eek: 

Sounds very expensive.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm glad someone (other than the DX9 years ago) is doing a Legends Devy, and now we have two to choose from. I'm more confident in NA doing G2 yellow, and I hope Diaclone colors aren't forgotten (looks at Toyworld), so I'll probably be getting a NA set either way eventually, if not multiples.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TIKnTIN

TIKnTIN

News Credits:
    damn, well that's a disappointing reveal from NA. gotta give the combine mode to MS on this. their more beefy styling definitely works better for devastator, as it did for soundwave.

NA top torso is okay, but the waist down is abysmal. it's much too tall and lanky with those legs. :confused:  and mixmaster's drum is even WORSE than what i was complaining about on MS. there may be a slight glimmer of hope that somehow the mixing drum can be reconfigured for alt mod to have better proportions as there seems to be some transformation panels on it, but i'm not optimistic at this point. :p 

it's early and it's only a render, and maybe things will improve once they get to a prototype. but if proportions don't change much, unless NA pulls out something crazy amazing for individual bots and alts, this might be my first hard pass on a NA release. o_O 

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, this is pretty much where I am, too. I’m the whitest of white knights when it comes to Newage - FansToys fanboys are small fry by comparison - but this misses the mark.

The annoying thing is, it’d be soooo easy just to tweak those thighs and make them a little shorter. So near and yet so far!

That said, I’m still all-in on these, cos I’m a sucker.

• Like Like x 1
  9. kshaps

kshaps Busting Deceptichops

Ebay:
    Damn. Proportions on the MS version are definitely beefier and I like that more, however I’m NA all the way plus NA feels better in hand (Materials, paint, build quality). The NA bot proportions are more G1 accurate in a way, Devys legs were pretty lanky in most episodes.

• Like Like x 2
  10. TIKnTIN

TIKnTIN

News Credits:
    i don't think it's necessarily shorter, as then proportionally it won't look right as the lower legs will be longer than the upper. maybe if they made it thicker.

also not sure if it's just for the render for NA and the prototypes will get better, but with the side by side you see a lot more nicer sculpted details on MS than on NA, which is usually not the case. :p 

11. Norita man

Norita man Well-Known Member

Please try to see the reasoning from their side.

To be back on the subject, the led and sound they announced sure will up the price. I am kinda of worried about that since newage was never a cheap collection in the first place

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  12. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Diecast isn't anything new with Newage. They have a couple figures with diecast that is used to stabilize them while standing. Light effects are in their Reflector and Soundwave, and Reflector has a sound gimmick too. Pre-order/limited bonuses are just pre-order bait, which helps them gauge market interest and provides collectors with added bonuses that are usually left to hobbyists to create.
    I think your edits are perfect and help clean this guy up, but I think NA has bit of a corner they've been painted into. 25ish cm is the average height for the Legends combiners we already have or have coming, so if they don't deliver something in that range then they lose sales to people that consistency is important to. That's why I think their Devastator knee and thigh sections add as much height as they do.

• Like Like x 1
  13. waffel

waffel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think you're probably right on that assertion, but its a real shame. Its frustrating to think I may be in the minority when I just want the combiner to look as good and work as well as possible, letting size be whatever it naturally comes out at when you stick the bots together

I dunno, I might just make myself a new set of hips when he releases

• Like Like x 3
  14. TIKnTIN

TIKnTIN

News Credits:
    here's my take on what NA could possible do without compromising too much in changing the design/engineering. of course this won't account for tolerance/clearance as i don't know what my proposed change will affect. i narrowed the crotch piece that connects the hips, while bumping up the width of the hip joints and thighs, as well as adjusted the mixing barrel. all of which gives a bit more "girth" needed to the lower half of the body to balance out the torso.

0074k7itgy1goa7a5zuj9j30u0133n4v.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  15. Metal Sonic

Metal Sonic Slightly-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think he looks nice, but I would've preferred Menasor or even another Autobot car first to be honest. Seriously, if they fired out a Sideswipe, the most boring release under the sun, and all 900 of his repaints, I'd love it. New Age are so unique in their overwhelming representation of Decepticons.

16. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

17. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    Holy crap, both of these look amazing to me, in different ways. New Age stuff typically has a nicer finish in my opinion, but both the Devys look equally great to me in terms of sculpt. I love the optional toe on Magic Square, and the asymmetrical thigh sculpt on New Age I was hoping someone would go with a fully integrated combiner approach, but I don’t think that’s the case for either. Hulky wasn’t perfect, but I’d love to see the integrated approach done in a more cartoon-accurate way.

I collect movie and BW MPs in addition to G1... I’m sticking with MP scale because I like the bots from all three series being around the same size, but these legends toys always have me drooling. The more I see new releases, the more tempted I am to sell off G1 MP to switch the Legends scale and save some room in the display cases.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Credit where credit is due, there are a couple of things I feel look better on NA, which is rare for me. Specifically Mixmaster's cab and Devastator's hands look better on NA so far (might change with closer inspection). At this point I can't decide which chest shield I actually prefer. I also like the green shown on NA better, but I don't think either actually represents what we will get on the final release anyway so that doesn't count for much.

While it is cleaner seeing NA appear to treat Long Haul the same way Motormaster is treated in most recent Menasors, just stuck in the back without being required, is disappointing.

Overall I'm glad I prefer the looks of MS overall. My primary collecting is MP, its just that the MS figures look too good to pass on. NA on the other hand look worse to me and are more expensive, though I wouldn't have minded getting the space bridge ring that came with their seekers (I bought Skywarp and decided I didn't need more from NA). Adding more cost boosting useless features like lights and sounds is just another demerit.

Thanks @metaphorge for the comparison pic.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  19. AndreyOfDoom

AndreyOfDoom maximize

News Credits:
    Take a look at the screen capture from G1 . Devy has very skinny lanky legs. New age wins hands down on capturing what we see on screen.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Nightwing

Nightwing Well-Known Member

NA has similar awkward proportions to the cartoon show model, but MS more closely matches the 86 movie. That seems to be what they were aiming for.

• Like Like x 3