New Age Legends Scale Devastator

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by NOCV, Mar 5, 2021.

1. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Kinda wishing Newage (also Magic Square, but that's beside the point) had sat out the Devastator war and worked on Prime/Magnus and some other bots instead. The drip-drip of combiner releases gets so tiring to me.

• Like Like x 3
  2. bigwhitey21

bigwhitey21 Well-Known Member

I still pre-ordered all the sets. It's still not sitting right with me. After Hulkie was so good then finding out the same designer did this one as well I was stoked! Then with the HUGE amount of the combiner that will just chill on the shelf when not combined plus the $100+ on each of the 2 bot sets then having to pay $80 for the part that let's you combine the bots. I know if I ordered from China, I'd be slightly less expensive, but I like the security of ordering stateside in case of any issues.

3. PurpleStuf

PurpleStuf Pastor of Muppets

This is ludicrous. There's no way in hell I'm paying $300 plus for a legends combiner. That's getting into MP scale combiner territory.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Powerbomb

Powerbomb There's a record inside me that allows me to talk!

They gotta pay for all that hand articulation somehow, right? And the "complex" engineering...

• Like Like x 2
  5. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got my Toyworld Yellow Constructor for 350.

Yeah no way I'll be getting this.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Autobrat Leader

Autobrat Leader Bratwurst in Disguise

News Credits:
    The fun comes in a fifth set that retails for another $100.

• Like Like x 8
  7. Powerbomb

Powerbomb There's a record inside me that allows me to talk!

And isn't available for sale to North America, or *Europe.

*Except Lithuania.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Susha

Susha Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    im on the opposite in terms of scale but I agree if this is the case I might prefer displaying hulkie as individual bots.

I don't even feel too compelled by combiners and would rather wait for the remaining cast at my preferred scale. Without going into Whirl, the scavangers or all that im still waiting on things like tracks, springer, maybe a new age scale gears or even predacons.

the more they drag this on, the more meticulous i become, especially cos the legends market has gradually pushed up its prices. (the whole point was i could get 4-5 bots at the price of one).

• Like Like x 1
  9. Spiffy

Spiffy Well-Known Member

whelp, I preordered the first set. I don't like the combined mode at all (and I'll have Hulkie for that anyway, I think he looks better anyway), and in any case I always have my combiners uncombined, so that I can play with them and transform them back and forth as I work. So, I can 'save' money on the skeleton set D. I quite like the look of the bots, and I think the alts are nicer than MS.

Price wise, it's £26 a bot, which is on par with the Bumbelee or Brawn set, and the Datsuns, so per bot the price is pretty standard for any company Legends. It's the combiner junk which is pushing this to be so pricey. I blame the community on this one, everyone's so fixated on overall combined size, there had to be a choice one way or another, size vs kibble. I really don't understand why MS isn't getting as much flak from you guys for the extra combiner skeleton, they have the exact same thing minus the abs area. Theirs just looks better. And I don't expect MS to come in much less, I think their three sets will cost more, given that the SHowz deposit price is $2 rather than $1, which anticipates a higher price for the first duo.

That said, still picking up MS in case I turn out liking them more. But, I can always sell the 'losing' set afterwards at a mark-down.

10. PurpleStuf

PurpleStuf Pastor of Muppets

These price increases seem even less gradual to me than Takara's MP increases, and that's one of the biggest reasons I shifted my collection focus to Legends scale in the first place. I remember not even two years ago any Legends scale bot over $30 was pushing it. Newage and Magic Square have made some great improvements in engineering and aesthetics since then, which is why I was still willing to pay for a $50 seeker, Megatron, Soundwave, etc. and be happy with the purchase. Hell, just last week I dropped the cash and went all in on the Magic Square Menasor after debating for weeks if it was worth spending that much (my final verdict on that will have to wait until it arrives, but it sure doesn't feel good right now).

I guess anything is only worth what you're willing to pay for it, and I was really looking forward to a new Devastator combiner too since that Hulkie mold was in bad need of an upgrade. Even if these prices are justified, even if the cost of oil has gone up, even if the engineering or paint is more intricate, this is more than I'm willing to pay. It's a shame too because just like MP, these third party legends companies are quickly pricing me out of the hobby.

• Like Like x 7
  11. kshaps

kshaps Busting Deceptichops

Ebay:
    Well for all you sitting this one out I guess I'll let you know how it is since I'm getting it no matter what. Going to look real nice to have a complete G1 S1 NA Decepticon team.

• Like Like x 5
  12. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sames. I'm still in, but nothing but understanding for the folks balking at the price of these guys. NA figures were never a bargain, but this set is beyond the pale.

• Like Like x 6
  13. kshaps

kshaps Busting Deceptichops

Ebay:
    I’m not thrilled about the cost either but NA is basically charging ~$40 a bot via ShowZ which is on par for how NA has been pricing for the better part of a year and a half. This is nothing new. I just hope the skeleton isn’t more than $50.

• Like Like x 7
  14. OCProwl

OCProwl Autobot Dad

News Credits:
    OK so TFs-Express has a preorder up for this now. All 4 sets together in one listing, total price is around $246 + shipping. For me, to the US, shipping is $39 for cheapest / $44 for slightly faster. So figure $286-290 all in, or $71-72 per set.

NewAge Hephaestus Sets w/ Combiner Add-on Kit

Just passing along for anyone who's still in and shopping for the lowest price. I recently used TFs-Express for the first time to buy Magic Square stuff and it worked out great, no complaints.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Delduwath

Delduwath Well-Known Member

I need to see a yellow and/or orange repaint from NewAge. I think they typically show off all repaints before any version ships, so folks end up with the full opportunity to make up their minds about which version they want. That hasn't been the case here; I wonder if it's because they're trying to get their base, G1 toon version out ASAP to beat Magic Square to the market, or if this being a combiner has changed their customary timetable, or what.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Spiffy

Spiffy Well-Known Member

I think this time they're trying to sell 6 (+1) new molds, rather than 1... I think they probably need you buy like .. right now... to justify that initial expenditure.

• Like Like x 1
  17. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

i also think that whole beat MS to market is a moot point now. we have all seen what NA is bringing to the table and the verdict is definitely in.

most people simply dont like the direction NA has taken here. i see a few diehards who will double dip to show NA in bot mode with MS being their Devy.

but that is few and far between on almost every platform that this is being discussed on.

unfortunately this was a bridge too far for most of their fans...

• Like Like x 2
  18. Spiffy

Spiffy Well-Known Member

I'm really curious to see what NA does with their next combiners (if they risk it again, ha). If you look at MS Devy next to their Menasor, MS Devy is even bigger. Even IF Bruticus will be getting small compared. Clearly, this forces a certain size from the individual bots, or you continue with the overly predominant skeleton frames.

For NA, who has smaller bots in general, they need to define their own combiner scale, in my mind, that is smaller. Already their Devy looks artifically stretched with their skeleton, but I'm not sure a NA Superion, Menasor or Defensor would look good with the same approach using NA car scale, for example. I think they need to embrace their own size and go for it. Never mind what MS/IF is doing.

19. todzilla85

todzilla85 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Pretty sure NA isn't setting their scale by the vehicles modes, plus they are using the larger scale for their combiners, so unless the pull some crazy size magic on their menasors alt modes, they will be quite a bit bigger then their past carbots, probably in both modes. The Menasor bots are ~10cm same as the devy bots.

Plus with the amount of parts forming thry are willing to use they can do a lot of things to the skeleton to bulk up the combiner.

20. SelectedLime375

SelectedLime375 Luna1 Matrix Magic

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    BBTS has all sets up for this guy totaling to $394.96.