Never before have I felt physically ill after discovering so many cancelled toys: Thundercats 2011

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by netkid, Jun 29, 2018.

1. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
  2. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

There's that 6" Classic Panthro figure I was patiently waiting on. Glad Mattel finally made him, before they crapped out on TCats, too.

That Super Collector Figure of the 2011 Lion-O looks pretty cool -- I might have been interested in getting that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had no idea they were planning an SIC-styled collector's line for this. That's kinda wild.

• Like Like x 1
  4. netkid

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah, that Super Imaginative Chogokin Lion-O, Mumm-Ra armor, Jackalman, Monkian, that 2011 deluxe Driller would've been insta-buys.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Damn. What could have been. I was collecting both the Classic and the Modern 6" figures... and to think if it had lasted just one more year I'd have gotten a modern Kit and Kat to make the core Thundercats team complete there at least. And, damn, those SIC Thundercats look awesome. I'd have been all over that line too. Shame Bandai and WB dropped the ball hard on this one.

• Like Like x 2
  6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    As a huge SIC fan, this has actually damaged a small part of me inside.

That sword is also fantastic.

• Like Like x 2
  7. netkid

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Bandai did not drop the ball, Warner did.

Bandai was set to make all this stuff.

They even had a line of McDonald's toys planned (these were eventually released outside the United States): thundercats mcdonalds - Google Search

But once word came down from WB that they weren't doing season 2, all further work on any future product immediately halted.

This is why you don't change around your show's time slots to the point where nobody has a goddamn clue as to when new episodes air.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Well, I think Bandai did drop the ball a little bit when they back tracked on the Classics line. I don't think it was wise or healthy for the line to switch the scales up the way they did. But, yes, you're correct in that the real problem lies with WB.

• Like Like x 1
  9. netkid

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The scale switch was in response to fan's demands. I personally liked the 8" figures better:

"Bandai America had a 3 year plan for new and classic Thundercats collector items – figures, vehicles, role play and some die cast. A lot of that plan was pitched and a lot of it was approved in concept, but some Bandai top corporate execs missed the whole collector appeal of the line and when the show got canceled so did the team’s prospects of continuing it as a collector only line. We will discuss the year 3/2013 plans tomorrow.

Today we are going to look at ThunderCats Classics. When Bandai America picked up the license for ThunderCats they didn’t just get the rights to the new show they also had access to the classic animated series from the 80’s. When Bandai first launched the ThunderCats Classic like they launched it with Lion-O as a line of super-articulated 8″ collector figures. This was a strange scale and was upsetting to many fans who wanted their ThunderCats to work alongside the 6″ Masters of the Universe Classics line from Mattel. They released Lion-O (SDCC Exclusive and regular) and Tygra. The line sputtered a bit because of the scale and Bandai re-evaluated the scale to be more in-line with the 6″ versions of the modern animation.

The line relaunced as a 6″ line with a Lion-O and Mumm-Ra as well as a Singapore Toy, Games and Comic Convention (STGCC) 2012 Exclusive of Lion-O in red armor. The red armor Lion-O was based on a specific episode of the animated series that was actually Mumm-Ra in disguise. As mentioned last week there were plans to fast track Cheetara as the 2012 San Diego Comic Con exclusive, and now for the first time we get to reveal what would have been wave 2 of the 6″ Classics collector figures."

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    i don't know shit about thundercats but i'd buy 90 of the drill guy

• Like Like x 1
  11. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Huh, wasn't aware that it was due to fan demand. Shame. Like you I actually liked the 8" scale for the Classics line as it was close to the scale of the original toys. Also, the 6" size they ended up going with would make them too small for the 7" scaled MOTUC so that was a mute point to begin with. Again, damn shame.

12. netkid

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Fans can be dumb.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    Being a ThunderCats fan sucks. Bandai and Mattel both incomplete and now that stupid Funko line what a kick in the balls.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I was hoping at the time that armor of Plun-darr would've come out. To see what it would've looked like... man, I would've enjoyed that.

• Like Like x 2
  15. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Like some of you guys, I was so disappointing that Mattel cancelled the Classics Thundercats line.

All that I hope is one day we can get the core cast (or at least the characters that appeared in the pilot episode) and 6 inch G.I Joes!

@netkid - good call on the Singapore convention thingy.

I had a chance to get them but I was wary of ‘screw-holes’ at the back of the figures.

• Like Like x 1
  16. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    I really doubt Bandai changed the scale because of anything fans said. They're known to have scale ADD.

17. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

Talk about watching your childhood dream blow up in smoke. These toys would have changed EVERYTHING about this line. Ugh. WB actually lost me entirely after they let TC go. I haven't cared about DC since then either. Cartoon Network is a garbage company as well.

• Like Like x 1
  18. MekaGojira3k

MekaGojira3k Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I loved the 2012 line and bought everything I found at stores, would've loved to have had some of these, especially the 12 inch figures.

19. Louise Belcher

Louise Belcher Autobot loves Android

News Credits:
    Bandai Thundercats...one of the last great toylines of 2012, the year before playline toy market went garbage in general. This really depressing.

I never knew they planned to have 6" Wiley kit and Wiley Kat! I preferred the 6" line as it had better sculpt and articulation (yes, it didn't have vehicles). I really want better articulated kit and Wiley Kat...sigh.

This line actually arrived to retailers in Israel, near it's death and not the entire line I believe. I only got the 6" Panthro, which I fondly remember it's purchase as it was total surprise (so many awesome toys from 2012 didn't come here *cries at the thought of TF prime Deluxe Arcee and Starscrem*) and one of the better, if not the best toy deal I had. I even used him as the first toy review on my currently dead blog, it's all in Hebrew, but you can check it for the photos: מצועצע - ביקורות צעצועים: ביקורת על פנתרו מחתולי הרעם

20. TFfanatic88

TFfanatic88 Banned

And instead we get Tumblrcats and Funko Pops. Happy fucking day.

• Like Like x 3