Nevada Transformers Sightings

Discussion in 'Transformers Sightings' started by code blue, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Switch313

Switch313 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I did acquire the galaxy optimus at Walmart on n Decatur and 215. They had starscream and wave 2 deluxes as well as lazerbeak cassette 2 pack. This was last week though. They still had g1 prime too. The reissues are way too expensive for what they are >_>

2. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    Yeah. On a lark, I checked the price point adjusted for inflation. The original G1 prime retailed for $20.99 in 1984. That's equivalent to $51.35 today. However, the Walmart re-releases lack the trailer. The only reasoning I can think of behind the 50+ dollar price tag is: 1) banking on nostalgia; 2) increased materials/production costs that make the figure comparatively more expensive to produce.

The weird thing is you can easily find encores online for $39.00 that have the trailer, too. There's basically zero reason for a collector to buy this Prime unless you're a completionist. I guess Walmart figured there's enough casual nostalgic interest in a 35 year old (frankly kinda bad) mold/design that someone is willing to plunk $55 dollars on a lark. That's not really an "impulse buy" price point - which might be why we see so many infesting the shelves.