Netflix WfC Trilogy discussion thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by Shackstoys, Feb 15, 2019.

?

Will it be good?

1. Yes!

203 vote(s)
    45.8%
  2. No!

68 vote(s)
    15.3%
  3. I'm from the future and all who said yes were right!

83 vote(s)
    18.7%
  4. I'm from the future and all who said no were right!

60 vote(s)
    13.5%
  5. I'm from the future and there was never a Titan class Skorponok figure!! Please hastak!!!

29 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. Galvacron 3

Galvacron 3 Well-Known Member

Given this person is voiced by what sounds like Greg Eagles I wanna repaint him as Grim from Billy & Mandy.

• Like Like x 1
  2. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Well-Known Member

Finished the series tonight after work. It was okay. I wasn't disappointed because my expectations weren't high, but I wouldn't recommend it to a friend who wasn't a fan of Transformers already. It wasn't up there with G1, Prime, BW, Animated, or even RID 2001 but it beat out most of the other series.

• Like Like x 3
  3. kwanzaabot

kwanzaabot Well-Known Member

Yeah, this.

It really is too bad they didn't write that relationship, oh, into the show.

The problems with the writing really remind me of Hbomberguy's recent (like two days ago) video on RWBY. It seems to be a hallmark of Rooster Teeth to throw characters into action scenes and tell us that they're important instead of showing us.

• Like Like x 2
  4. samisham

samisham Well-Known Member

Just watched all six episodes in one sitting and I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting it to be really generic and forgettable, but it was really good in my opinion. There is roo for improvement next season, but overall I liked it quite a bit.

Some of the visuals are beautiful given the somewhat low res animation and the weakest part is character models, I think they could do with taking a few more artistic liberties with the toys.

The voice acting is hit and miss, but most actors give a good performance and most of the voice suit the characters, the most noticeable exceptions being Shockwave and Jetfire.

The writing is fairly good, and I liked the way all of the plots converged at the end. The best characterization, in my opinion, being Prime, he's a lot more fallible here and he even doubts himself a bit, which is a really nice to see given how stoic and 100% right he often is.

I have some more detailed thoughts, but I wanted this to just be a quick set of spoiler-free overall thoughts.

• Like Like x 2
  5. kwanzaabot

OHHHHH
    THAT'S what the spoiler was?
    Man, it sure is a shame they didn't add a new headsculpt to actually resemble Alpha Trion.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wheeljack84

Wheeljack84 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    LOL, that's a pretty lame spoiler figure if that's what it was meant to be.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Smokescreen1980

Smokescreen1980 Well-Known Member

I didn’t know that. Suddenly Megatron being effectively a trade union leader whose power has gone to his head makes a lot of sense...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wheeljack84

Wheeljack84 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    You see I dunno, some of the voice talent on display here was really good. Jason Marnocha was a good Megatron. Keith Silverstein as Jetfire. Bill Rogers as Wheeljack. I think even Bumblebee's VA was solid.

Now, would I have liked a cast with some more experience talents such as Will Friedle, Kevin Michael Richardson, Eric Bauza, Nolan North, maybe even like say, a Keith David in there? Yes, most definitely. But look, I won't automatically discount the actors who were in the show because of that.

9. kwanzaabot

I dunno about "good". They were fine.
    But you could tell they were hired because they could do a reasonable impression of G1 characters on a budget.

lol, this I can agree with.
    It had a very "Oh hi Mark" feel to it.

Like when Moonracer dies. They react to her death telling us they're sad, but without the emotion to back it up.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  10. kraven

kraven Decepticon

3 episodes down and I’m completely loving it! I figured it would be a mediocre toy commercial of a show at best but the writing is really good! The designs are cool but the animation is, idk, stiff? But the writing has me totally hooked. Solid 8/10 so far for me. Also dig the music and over all vibe it sets. Can’t wait to watch more.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Aluinashryu

Aluinashryu Decepticon

Uninspiring and under-developed character writing, tired, downbeat Cybertron-centric storytelling, nowhere near enough actually entertaining or kickass moments. It's not horrendous but it's criminally boring and I just sat there thinking 'why the hell aren't we getting something MORE by now?'. To those who really like it; when you sit and imagine just how cool TF stuff could be, do you really imagine something similar to this...?

The habit of making the characters all doom and gloom drags the experience down every time, for me. IMO one of the greatest strengths of TF (if not its greatest) has been a lively, and diverse cast of personalities to draw on. I'm waiting for more TF stuff where the characters are both fleshed out, and written in a way that makes them really fun and engaging :V

I'm not interested in superficially dark, grim, serious, or 'epic' TF stories. I don't care about the window-dressing. I can't get invested if I don't care about the characters. Their personalities and their motivations are poorly conceived in this outing, much like some other TF media I could mention. Their interactions mostly fail to keep my attention too, when they could have at least put some effort into that element if not the characters' core ideas.

It may have been saved a bit more for me if the action scenes were more dynamic and cool, or were directed better. And if there were just some more plain cool shots and moments. But there just wasn't even a fraction of enough of that to make it actually worth watching

Bonus round! Unintentionally hilarious moments: Megatron poking Wheeljack's Autobot symbol, TWICE, Prime calling Magnus' Decepticon visit 'An unfortunate development', Megatron looming comically over one of his men and growling as he waits for an explanation, (legit can't tell how funny Shockwave's hammy 'YESSS, LORD MEGATRON' was supposed to be), AUTOBOT BRAND TABLET, Prime mowing down zombots in vehicle mode, Megatron getting swatted off the Space Bridge platform, and edgy Bumblebee in general

• Like Like x 10
  12. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Pretty decent overall.

Some good characters, decent dialogue and some of the action scenes had some real impact to them.

There was some weight to the stakes here and against my own expectations this was highly enjoyable.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just finished writing up my review, but to summarise here, it was okay but not outstanding. As others on here have stated, the writing left a lot to be desired. There wasn't much personality on display, but I admit I was amused by Elita-1 constantly negging Optimus like a nagging fishwife, no wonder the poor bastard looked so deflated. The guy needs to set up a bachelor pad on Earth and find his mojo again.

The music was so bland I can't recall any of it, I couldn't tell you what separates the personalities of Hound, Prowl, Mirage or Sideswipe, they kill off named characters you might have picked up toys for, meanwhile their endless clones are running around so it doesn't really matter, especially when nobody seems to mourn the dead in this show. Moonracer's death was almost comical in how nonchalant the cast were about it, and only Arcee seemed to be having a good time, which I found unintentionally hilarious.

What the show really needed was the sort of banter between characters the '86 movie had in spades, giving the show some energy, as well as an incentive to pick up the toys.

It wasn't all bad, and I might have given it more leeway were it not for IDW's Transformers '84 covering the same period in a far more interesting way. As it is, it is now watched and ultimately will be forgotten until part 2 comes around and I tune in again hoping to be impressed.

• Like Like x 3
  14. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I cannot find the credits for XCOM's soundtrack, but after listening to the soundtrack during WFC's credits I am pretty sure both were done by the same composer, at least I detect a lot of similar themes.

I don't think a ground alt mode is required to lead ground troops. Shockwave used to be Military Operations Commander in Marvel G1, for example.

Maybe, but after 35 years of NOBODY using said tech specs powers for Mirage, this ability just goes against the norm.
    And even Hound could not create hardlight holograms - they were just illusions, not like on a Star Trek holodeck where you can interact with them. As you said, they were rather overpowered. And Hound in return had... grenades and an attitude? Kinda like what Ironhide was supposed to have. As I said, I feel they totally confused some characters.

I half expected her to say at the end "Prime, this has been fun, but... I want a divorce". :D 

Also, anyone else thinks Alpha Trion - or rather, his recording or magic memory not-Underbase data-thingie - sounded totally like Morpheus from the Matrix? I half expected him to offer pills to Bee.

That's ALL he did. For 35 years. In ALL media. All did was invisibility. No duplicates, no hardlight holograms, no recoloring himself to look like a con.
    Please just stop arguing that this makes any sense because a tech spec mentioned this in 1984, something nobody used ever since. As said, this has always been Hound's power. I am not arguing with you that it is WRONG they gave it to Mirage, just that it is NOT his USUAL power he is known for. Okay? Let's leave it at that.

The name DeSanto sounds familiar. Wasn't there a producer by the same name working on Bayformers movies?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  15. kwanzaabot

Oof, edgy Bumblebee. There's a sentence I never thought I'd utter.

Even Michael Bay made him the cute kid-appeal character.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    It reminded me of Beast Machines. Anyone that knows me will know that that's not a compliment.

But I will continue to watch and hope that it picks up in Earthrise and (especially) Kingdom.

• Like Like x 3
  17. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    After watching all 6 episodes I can say that I definitely liked it. That being said, there are some issues. The voice acting could have been a lot better. Some plot holes here and there. Overall it's a good start. I really expected it to completely suck so this is a pleasant surprise.

• Like Like x 6
  18. Dann86

Dann86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Having read through this thread im starting to think what with people asking about plot points and bit that dont make sense........did you actually watch it? Pretty much everything that happens is explained and or tied in if you just pay attention.

• Like Like x 8
  19. xd Accrocate

xd Accrocate Tell Megatron, 'Let's tango'

Instagram:
    It really does feel like I watched a completely different show than most people here

• Like Like x 5
  20. MegaDarth

MegaDarth Well-Known Member

I liked it a lot.

The waists while waking was weird and Soundwave and Shockwaves voice was...... jarring. Screamer, Megs & Prime were great.

I’m in for more!

• Like Like x 6
  21. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    About the characters being “mixed up”...yeah, thats how I felt too.

For example, Wheeljack should be the one repairing the Space Bridge and not Ratchet.

• Like Like x 3