Netflix WfC Trilogy discussion thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Shackstoys, Feb 15, 2019.

?

Will it be good?

1. Yes!

222 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. No!

115 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. I'm from the future and all who said yes were right!

105 vote(s)
    16.6%
  4. I'm from the future and all who said no were right!

154 vote(s)
    24.3%
  5. I'm from the future and there was never a Titan class Skorponok figure!! Please hastak!!!

37 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. Cliffjumper

Cliffjumper Least insane TF fan

News Credits:
    Cant wait to read thir thread again in 5 years

• Like Like x 4
  2. Death Dancaa

Death Dancaa Rocknrollicon

Loved it. The animation was really fun I think. And most of the character arcs are really good. Particularly liked Optimus and Megatron's arc. As well as Impactor and Jetfire's arcs. Some of it felt kinda rushed and too quickly paced, which seems to be an issue with the time that they had to produce the series, but this is the best TF show in awhile I think. Definitely looking forward to Earthrise.

• Like Like x 3
  3. snokoan

snokoan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes cant wait to till some yall rewrite history in 4 years

Audience score 100 critic score 100
    Edit
    Audience score is 89

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2020
  4. leadsled

leadsled the word is "Mortifying"

Soundwaves voice = nope 

• Like Like x 1
  5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    100% of people rated it positive, it's not a percentage score of the show. That just means everyone who's watched it has liked it, and considering I doubt anyone but Transformers/80's fans has gone out of their way to watch the whole series in less than a day, I'm not surprised.

• Like Like x 2
  6. SuperTitanHans

SuperTitanHans Upgraded

News Credits:
    I’m not going to be drawn into an argument about it. I think it’s a great show that absolutely fulfills expectations. For those that didn’t like it, I just don’t know what kind of animated Transformers show you would like.

• Like Like x 6
  7. snokoan

News Credits:
    I'm not an 80s fan and I've liked it so far you dont speak for anyone

Or just not give them anything some members here always complain about something give me g1 they get g1 and start complaining t
    Dialogue is terrible. This fandom really loves to rewrite history

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2020
  8. sideswipe89

sideswipe89 Beachcomber

News Credits:
    I actually really enjoyed this series. I was a little apprehensive from the trailers but I ended up liking the show quite a bit.

I really liked the animation and the character models. I love how they used the actual figures to make the models. They were able to capture a lot of detail from the toys. I have pretty much every figure from the Siege line but its honestly made me want to get the Netflix decos of the characters as well, which I skipped out on the first go.

I also thought the voice over work was pretty decent too. Of course it varies from character to to character but overall I thought it was pretty solid. I really liked Starscream‘s and Elita’s.

I enjoyed the the story as well. I thought it captured the final battle and exodus form Cybertron pretty well. That’s always been one of my favorite parts of the lore.

Speaking of lore, I like how they pulled from different series that came before. They had references from the shows, video games and comics. It was both familiar and new at the same time. I also like that the show featured a lot of characters which felt like the original G1 series.

Overall, I had a really good time with this series and am really looking forward to parts 2 and 3!

• Like Like x 5
  9. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    But you are a Transformers fan, no?

Also, my point was more along the lines of that anyone who's binged the full six episodes so quickly either did so because they like it or is such a big fan they'll like it no matter what. For example, I am struggling to finish this show, so I couldn't write a full review or give a score yet as I'm not finished.

But damn, if the rest of the whole is like the first three eps, I think I can imagine what that score would be.

• Like Like x 6
  10. ZombehDino

ZombehDino Fast as a Sharkticon

The way the Rotten Tomatoes meter works is it shows the percentage of reviews that are considered "positive." For instance, if eight people gave lukewarm reviews (let's say 6/10) that the writers would opt to label as positive, it would have a 100% rating. You can argue that's too binary for the good of the criticism, but that's how they currently do it.

• Like Like x 3
  11. HunterRose

HunterRose Well-Known Member

I watched episode 1 last night and this really didn't work for me.

The characters acted incredibly dumb and without any coherent motivation. And the dialog is painfully stilted throughout.
    No one ever speaks to each other, they just kind of speechify at each other?

Most of the animation models are clearly just scans of the toys (including Wheeljack's EARTHRISE kibble?) But then Bumblebee and Alita are these idealized Anime/IDW designs.
    Like they're still clunky, and I'm not too concerned that they aren't "toy accurate" EXCEPT:
    EVERY OTHER CHARACTER IS SO SLAVISHLY AND AWKWARDLY IMITATING THE TOY that these two characters really stand out (in a bad way).
    If the whole show was done with these character models that would be fine, but when contrasted next to ACTUAL TOYS they look weird and off putting.

Why did Jetfire and the seekers sit and talk about whether or not they should kill the Autobots for 20min? Why was Jetfire more interested in injuring his own teammates than taking care of the enemy?
    Then Megatron shows up and speechifies for another 10 minutes and says "Kill them" (which we already knew was the answer from the very first scene) and instead of doing that they wait another 3 or 4 minutes.

It was all so painfully obvious that the show was forcing characters to do dumb things so they could stall until Optimus arrived.

The melee battle with Megatron was awkward and clumsy. Some of the camera angles made it look like they were deliberately trying to evoke the 86 movie. But again it was in the most clunky and awkward way possible.

Then when the Autobots ran away (because again, the seekers were more interested in attacking each other than doing their jobs) no one transformed into cars, they just kind of casually jogged away.
    Meanwhile the seekers WHO WERE ALREADY IN JET MODE transformed into robots so they too could casually jog after the escaping prisoners.

And although every single character has a gun (and some even shoot randomly but not with any purpose) the jet fighters and the tank man with guns on their wings and arms don't shoot at the fleeing prisoners, but rather meekly reach out and say "don't let them escape"...

Sigh... I'm going to watch at least one more episode.. I really do want to like it.
    But this show really isn't good at all.

• Like Like x 8
  12. snokoan

News Credits:
    Well I'm not finished with the show and I'm still excited to finish it off. I didnt do that right away I also dont like everything I'm not a comics fans

13. Fleebnork

Fleebnork Well-Known Member

The main takeaway is that pointing to Rotten Tomatoes for a Transformers Netflix show that's only been on for half a day doesn't prove anything.

• Like Like x 11
  14. snokoan

News Credits:
    It kinda does of the audience score went to 89 percent.

15. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    I enjoyed it. It wasn't great but wasn't bad. I was sad it was only 6 episodes but it seemed like they made a 2 hour movie and just decided to cut it up.

16. Moos Crew

Moos Crew I make stuff

...Astrotrain was Huge, I wish his figure was that big.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Longitudinalwave

Longitudinalwave A Big Fan of (Sound/Shock)wave

All right, time for me to (attempt to) put my thoughts on Siege together in a more cohesive fashion. I sort of already did this on the review of Episode 6, but that wasn't a very detailed analysis.:
    THINGS I LIKED ABOUT SIEGE
    -Megatron's voice actor did a fairly good job. He actually felt pretty menacing most of the time.
    -Soundwave is my favorite Transformers character, and he was in the show. Granted, his voice was TERRIBLE, but he was there with (two of) his cassettes.
    -Starscream was spot-on. He had the best voice in the show, was a lot of fun, and just felt like G1 Starscream.
    -Jetfire's heel-turn was handled...decently. His voice actor's work at the beginning of episode five carried most of making it feel like it didn't just come out of nowhere, but I liked having him show up and do things.
    -Impactor's heel-turn was predictable, but I thought it was actually better than Jetfire's, all things considered. I really liked his dynamic with Ratchet and (to a lesser extent) Mirage and Sideswipe.
    -Mirage was really good. His backstory was referenced, he got to use his electro-scrambler, and having him clearly be young and green was an interesting take on the character.
    -Ratchet was unique. The premise of him being an inventor-turned-medic who's trying to make amends for the damage he caused was an interesting take that we haven't seen before.
    -Elita One was competent.
    -Ultra Magnus felt like what Prime should have been in Episodes 1 and 4.
    -Sideswipe was decent, as was Prowl. They felt enough like themselves that it wasn't weird.
    -Bumblebee got much less annoying after Magnus' death.
    -Soundblaster is the best character in Siege, hands down. I loved every minute of him.
    -BUZZSAW SHOWED UP! That never happens!
    -Megatron having pictures of himself on the walls was pretty funny.
    -The endless legion of Reflectors and generic Seekers was worth a chuckle.
    -Cog was likable.
    -Oh, and Soundwave and Shockwave's reaction to Megatron promoting Starscream was great.

THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE ABOUT SIEGE
    -The tone was almost unrelentingly depressing whenever the Autobots (especially Prime and Elita) were around.
    -Prime was terrible. He was idiotic, his voice acting was distractingly poor at times, and he was STILL Cardbordimus Prime...he's just stupid now, too.
    -Elita One and Prime had no chemistry at all. They didn't even seem like friends.
    -I didn't particularly care for mercenary Bumblebee before episode 4. He seemed like a jerk.
    -Ironhide had a terrible, terrible voice and didn't do anything.
    -Chromia didn't do anything of note.
    -Hound acted like Ironhide instead of like himself.
    -Red Alert being a medic was weird (though I didn't actually hate Red Alert's character as it was shown...he was just kind of generic).
    -Moonracer's death was confusing and pointless.
    -It killed off Impactor, Skywarp, and Magnus even though they all still had potential. Skywarp's death in particular seemed forced and random.
    -Soundwave's voice was terrible.
    -Thundercracker and Skywarp's voices weren't very good either. Flywheels' voice was painfully generic.
    -Starscream and Jetfire weren't ever friends (although their new dynamic was kind of interesting).
    -What was the point of Ultra Magnus wearing that cloak? You could clearly tell it was him.
    -What was up with the zombies? And why did the Allspark make them fall apart?
    The show did explain this. The explanation was a little confusing, but I can't really critique it for not explaining it.
    -Where did Omega Supreme go at the end of episode 6?
    -Why did the lights go out at Soundblaster's place for no reason when the Autobots needed to escape?
    Explained.
    -The fights between Prime and Megatron were lackluster at best.
    -Shockwave's virus and Bumblebee's Alpha Trion codes seemed largely unconnected to the overall plot.
    Explained.
    -The codes weren't involved in bringing Omega Supreme into the fight like I had thought would happen.
    -Really, most of Episode 6 was a confusing, disjointed mess.
    I understand it better now. Apparently I had trouble following the plot on the first watchthrough.
    -Oh, and I couldn't figure out exactly what was going on with the Allspark at any given point. That was just confusing throughout.

THINGS I WAS NEUTRAL ON IN SIEGE
    -Red Alert's actual character
    -Flywheels, Barricade, and Spinister
    -The fact that they reused body types so much, since that can likely be chalked up to budgetary restraints.
    -The incorporation of stuff from IDW1 into the Decepticons' origins. Interesting idea, not really relevant to the plot by the time of the part of the war that we're apparently seeing.
    If I had to rate it, I'd give it a 4.5/10. It's not as bad as Energon, some of the live-action movies, or Headmasters (admittedly a low bar to clear), and I had fun with some of the characters, but the confusing plot and the TERRIBLE Optimus Prime dragged it down a lot.

It wasn't as fun as G1, the Bumblebee movie, Transformers Devastation, Cybertron, or RID 2001, as well-crafted as (most of) the comics, WFC and FOC, Beast Wars, and Animated (or even Prime and Beast Machines), as visually impressive as Victory, as light-hearted as RID 2015, Rescue Bots, or Cyberverse, or as unique as Super-God Masterforce or Armada (or Beast Wars and Beast Machines, again).

EDIT: Okay, I've had the plot of Episode 6 more clearly spelled out to me (thanks, CelticMutt). With that in mind, I'm going to increase the score to 5.5/10.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  18. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I really didn't understand that. I thought maybe he was going to interrogate them (the logical decision especially after they realized Wheeljack was one of Prime's) but no, he just didn't want to kill them... 'cuz.

• Like Like x 2
  19. RVDA

RVDA Toy Designer.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Watched all of it in one go. Really disappointed. I've harped on the toy models being used before but the animation was nice at least. But in every other regard...it was honestly just really boring? Everything it does we've seen done elsewhere and better, with the only new(ish) thing being the Alpha Trion Protocols. Which was just reskinned Vector Sigma. And the writing....yeah. Not great innit?

Honestly, it mostly just made me really miss High Moon's efforts. Those games were super cheesy but at least they had a lot of effort and personality put in. It also made me appreciate Cyberverse more. That show wasn't for me but that at least felt like it was made with some passion.

Meh. 5/10. Won't be bothering with the rest.

• Like Like x 7
  20. mn_128875

mn_128875 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had to seize the opportunity to make this and I’m pretty everyone has finished the show by now so anyways 3BE21046-6B9C-4A47-835C-EF060F645F30.jpeg

• Like Like x 14