Netflix WfC Trilogy discussion thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by Shackstoys, Feb 15, 2019.

?

Will it be good?

1. Yes!

223 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. No!

112 vote(s)
    18.3%
  3. I'm from the future and all who said yes were right!

103 vote(s)
    16.8%
  4. I'm from the future and all who said no were right!

136 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. I'm from the future and there was never a Titan class Skorponok figure!! Please hastak!!!

38 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. ZombehDino

ZombehDino Fast as a Sharkticon

my in-depth review

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  2. Longitudinalwave

Longitudinalwave A Big Fan of (Sound/Shock)wave

Episode 6
    -I really like Soundblaster.
    -Why did the lights just go out for no apparent reason?
    -And we're back to the zombies, who, of course, all hilariously look like preexisting characters. That being said, they may not have actually be resurrected by Dark Energon like I thought last episode.
    -Moonracer? What? Never mind, she's dead. ARRGH!
    -And now the zombies are just gone because reasons. (Okay, Allspark magic, but that's basically the same thing.) What is happening?
    -Hey Sideswipe. You're still good.
    -You, too, Impactor. Glad to see you.
    -Arcee's pretty well-handled, but BOY does she ever sound a lot like Elita One.
    -Go Cog! I'm glad they didn't kill you.
    -Elita One's voice acting is still decent.
    -Prime's voice is still subpar.
    -Obligatory "roll out!" from Optimus.
    -An Autobot redshirt just died.
    -The main characters, however, are magically not dying
    -A Reflector clone just bit the dust, as did another Autobot generic.
    -Starscream! YAY!
    -And there went either Thundercracker, Acid Storm, both, or two generic Seekers.
    -Yay! A Jetfire/Starscream fight.
    -Sector Seven. Nice reference.
    -Soundwave and Laserbeak! Soundwave said "Laserbeak reports"! My nostalgia is happy (even if Soundwave's voice is terrible).
    -I don't know how Megatron goes from "Prime is sending the AllSpark offworld" to "he'll kill us all!" (unless he assumes that, with the Allspark gone, everyone will die, but that seems like a dubious assumption).
    -Jetfire still has a sweet lightsaber. And his fight with Starscream was really wasted potential.
    -How is Soundwave going to decimate the Ark by himself?
    -I hope Sideswipe's okay. He just got shot and fell over, and I don't want him to die.
    -Elita's voice is getting a little weird, though it might just be because she's upset.
    -Unintentionally funny moment:
    Hound and Optimus Prime: Uaauaauaagh!
    Those groans sounded really strange.
    -I guess Spinister didn't die. Either that or it's a generic that looks a lot like him.
    -Megatron has a really great speechwriter.
    -LOL at the pan over like fifteen different Reflectors.
    -Prime's speech is just as good, but Megatron's voice actor has better delivery.
    -That being said, Prime's actor does seem to have gotten better over the course of the series, though, which is more than I can say for Soundwave's voice actor.
    -Skyfire sounded very different just before he was blasted away by Megatron.
    -Wheeljack is great. He's actually been in-character the whole time.
    -Teletraan One's voice isn't great.
    -Soundwave, you and those Reflectors epically failed to stop the Ark.
    -YAY! Finally, we have a legitimately positive moment.
    -A generic seeker just bought it.
    -Go, Ratchet, go! I am at least invested enough in what's happening to cheer for the good guys.
    -IMPACTOR! NO! I liked you! If Mirage dies too, I swear...
    -The space bridge looks a lot like the space bridges in Prime.
    -I don't know who said "For Cybertron!" but it was a really lackluster battle cry.
    -Oh, hey Megatron.
    -Prime, stop yelling! Your voice acting gets exponentially worse every time you do.
    -Prime just got taken down by a shot from a Reflector. I don't need Prime to be invincible, but...really?
    -Uh, good going, Prime and Bee!
    -The Prime/Megatron fights in this show are terribly underwhelming.
    -Surprise Omega Supreme....really isn't that surprising. Boy does his voice sound dumb, though. He's also hard to understand. At least he looks cool.
    -See ya, Reflectors.
    -Bye, generic Seekers.
    -RED ALERT! NO! You were...okay, I guess. Actually, I don't know why I just reacted so strongly to his death.
    -Hi, Flywheels. Bye, Flywheels. (Are you dead?)
    -Elita One....is actually making a decision I can get behind. She still has zero chemistry with Optimus.
    -And there goes the Ark.
    -Where'd Omega Supreme go? Is he dead?
    -I guess Red Alert's not dead. Good. Chromia still being on Cybertron makes me hopeful that they might eventually do something with her.
    -SKYFIRE! YAY!
    -To be continued...in a series that's hopefully less depressing than this one!

Overall thoughts: Elita should be Autobot leader. AND STOP KILLING OFF MY FAVORITE CHARACTERS!

Overall thoughts on the whole series: Wow, this was bleak. I know that that was what they were going for, but I didn't particularly like it. All the Decepticons were characterized pretty well (except maybe Shockwave, who was weird). The Autobots were more hit-or-miss. Ratchet, Mirage, Wheeljack, Sideswipe, and Jetfire were good. I liked Cog a lot. Elita One and Bumblebee were okay. Red Alert was weird. I didn't like Hound or Ironhide, and Chromia and Arcee didn't do much of anything. And this Optimus Prime was bad. He might even knock Cardbordimus Prime from RID 2015 (and to some extent Prime) out of the top spot in my list of least favorite Optimus Primes. Also, a lot of the last episode made zero sense.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Cliffjumper

Cliffjumper green

News Credits:
    Megatrons lips werent that bad

• Like Like x 7
  4. Tetratron

Tetratron Well-Known Member

Overall, thought this was decent. Like I said earlier, I'd put it on par with the first season of Beast Wars. Some general thoughts below.

Good:
    -Overall I liked the characterization of a lot of the bots and cons even if the VA worked ranged from good (Megatron, Elita, Shockwave, Prowl) to subpar (Optimus, Jetfire). Megatron and Elita were the standouts for me this season and while his VA wasn't the best I liked Optimus was allowed to show more emotion.
    Damn, now I have to get a Soundblaster toy and I never even cared about that character concept before. I like it seems he even made a faction symbol of his own based off his head

Mixed
    -This doesn't really do that much different when it comes to the usual pre-Earth stuff. At least how it's been portrayed since the '07 movie.
    -So I can see the logic of Soundwave's voice but don't care for it, or at least fix up the audio so I don't need captions to understand what he says. I can be swayed to it if it were to be improved.

Bad
    -Lot of the hand-to-hand fights are limited by the animation here. In particular the first one between Optimus and Megatron looks like you could have done better with stop-motion and the actual toys

• Like Like x 2
  5. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom I'm Sarah in The Allspark.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Umm did anyone else spot Astrotrain in episode six during one of the scenes where the ark is under attack?

• Like Like x 3
  6. optimus909

optimus909 Well-Known Member

Just binged all 6 episodes and it was better than i expected but overall it was just okay. Elita's voice actress felt like she was trying too hard it was kinda funny

7. Fc203

Fc203 #RestoreTheBayVerse

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Wish they used soundwaves Cyberverse voice actor he was perfect
    Also kinda fucked up that jetfire didnt slash away the zombies from the bots, they shouldve really gathered around stick together but no moonracers arm is gone just ignore it and stay far from each other

• Like Like x 6
  8. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Finishing binging the first chapter. Overall I'm in the camp that it's in the all right category. The voice acting at times wasn't good or at least not as strong as I would've liked,such as Soundwave and shockwave,and that some of the nois effects take you out of the tone. But on the other hand it does some things well like how Elita-1 was able to have a fairly big role this time around,have Jetfire have a solid character arc even though we knew he was going to be an Autobot eventually,and that how Optimus does from time to time showcase the implication from Armada that to quote Unicron.

"Over the eons your proclamation for peace has felt pointless. You must admit you love the smell of battle."

I'm not sure if we'll finally see that explored in the next two chapters but overall I do hope that they'll be able to build upon the strengths the show does have going for it,and to address the issues people have with Siege right now.

(Also on an unrelated note I dig how both Elita,and Arcee look nicely thicc looking. :D )

• Like Like x 1
  9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Okay so these are my collected thoughts on the first episode rather than play-by-play:

This is the worst Optimus Prime ever. Worse than Prime, worse than the movies. He is an emotional fart of a character and the voice acting is dreadful. It sounds like a cringe Youtube impression done during a toy review. Every character more or less feels this way, but Optimus is the problem at its worst. The show is also just shoddy and stupid, like the amount of running when transforming would be more logical. The Decepticons lose the Autobots at the bridge Elita detonates... yet Jetfire could've just flown across. It makes no sense, they might as well have just not given chase. Megatron's jumbotrons keep playing footage of him talking even after he's finished his speech leaving awkward silent mouth movements because they lazily reused footage. Everyone is joyless and flat, no one feels distinct or memorable, and yet they're still trying to make a character named Bumblebee somehow not sound like a joke.

I'm genuinely confused as to who this is for. It's fanwanky in that early 2000's "it's been years since G1 and we're just now getting back to the original characters sort of way." "Seekers" is said with such frequency it feels like a deliberately attempt to score nerd cred, like it's still a fan-term that hasn't been adapted a million times by now. Megaton is not threatening at all, the Decepticons aren't threatening at all. It makes the Prime Decepticons look like quality villains by comparison, at least they had unique and expressive voices. Why does everyone talk so slow? I feel like I'm watching a shitty dub of a shitty anime, the dialogue pacing and direction is a mess, and the mouth movements don't even attempt to match.

Also, does this show honestly think it's fooling anyone? Like, what's honestly the point of putting Magnus in a cloak when his design is that distinct? Why bother with the Jetfire faction change when he's already in Autobot colours, complete with blue eyes?

The first episode was 22 minutes, yet it felt like two fucking hours to watch, yet only have the content of five minutes. What the hell.

So the bar is set at a 25 year old cartoon aimed at kids from the 90's, despite this being a 2020 limited series aimed at adults. Oof.

Ignoring of course that even early season 1 Beast Wars had more energy, entertainment, and passion than this soulless corporate junk.

• Like Like x 20
  10. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually really enjoyed Jake Foushee’s voice performance, aside from a moment or two. I love Peter Cullen, but it was nice to get away from the stoic and collected Optimus (whom I love) from series’ like Prime.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wyldmaxx

Wyldmaxx Well-Known Member

IMO this show would have been better served as an episodic series that could introduce the different characters with their own story arcs.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

I really liked it. I was going in thinking it would be exactly like the Machinima stuff, so this exceeded my expectations.

Hopefully next season isn’t as bleak though, hopefully Ark bots get to breathe a little bit, and Optimus gets a little happier.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Definitely not the worst TF fiction ever, but a far cry from being good.

Story was alright. Coherent at the very least. Not much new ground was tread here but it never seemed like they were going to be trying to do something besides retread the basic story tropes anyway.

Overall the dialogue and voice acting was just flat out painful. I had high hopes at the beginning of the first episode since I genuinely enjoyed Wheeljack and Megatron (and I even found Starscream to be more reigned in than the work on the Machinima stuff) but Optimus spoke one line and I literally facepalmed. I'm not a Welker & Cullen or bust guy...like I said, I like the voice actor for Megatron quite a bit...but I'm tired of voice actors terribly imitating Cullen. If they don't want to hire him, fine, but Jesus Christ let them do their own thing. Also can whoever did the vocoder effect on the G1 show PLEASE let modern sound engineers know how to put the effect on Soundwave and make the dialogue clear? Almost everyone else sounded like they were in front of their middle school class reading a report. Incredibly pedestrian and forgettable.

I don't regret watching it but I doubt I'll ever watch it again and I'm definitely not on the edge of my seat waiting for Earthrise.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Optitron98

Optitron98 Guy who loves blue and sarcasm

Ebay:
    I think Jake works best as a young Optimus who makes a lot of mistakes trying to find who he is as a leader whereas Cullen's Optimus is someone older who learned from his mistakes and is the capable leader we know.

For me Cullen and Welker are a package deal. You can't have one without the other. I hope Jake's Optimus continues to improve or is given a different voice that sounds like his own

• Like Like x 5
  15. Wyldmaxx

Wyldmaxx Well-Known Member

My son walked into the room just as I finished Episode 6, and asked what the name of the video game I was playing. :) 

• Like Like x 5
  16. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    I definitely feel that. I was actually shocked, both by Dreadwing’s namedrop in this and his failure to actually make an appearance.

17. moonDUST

moonDUST Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    I'm happy they produced this. It's a huge step into the right direction. They really put effort in the visual department and the directing is much much better than recent shows.

I agree with others the voice acting isn't that good. And a lot of the voices sound the same.

Another thing I found lacking was the use of music. It was pretty much absent or didn't add much to the feel of the scene.

But apart from that I'm glad transformers are on Netflix. Looking forward to the next chapter!

• Like Like x 4
  18. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    So bored with the undead/zombie stuff.

• Like Like x 14
  19. WreckerImpactor

WreckerImpactor Well-Known Member

My god this was awful. Why does hasbro keep giving these talentless amateurs one of their most lucrative IPs, especially when Studio trigger is BEGGING to do a real TF Anime.

I only watched to find out who was in the spoiler box for wave 2 and I didn't even get that.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Longitudinalwave

Longitudinalwave A Big Fan of (Sound/Shock)wave

I have to agree on this front. This is my new least favorite Optimus Prime.

• Like Like x 2