Netflix WfC Trilogy discussion thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Shackstoys, Feb 15, 2019.

?

Will it be good?

1. Yes!

222 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. No!

115 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. I'm from the future and all who said yes were right!

105 vote(s)
    16.6%
  4. I'm from the future and all who said no were right!

154 vote(s)
    24.3%
  5. I'm from the future and there was never a Titan class Skorponok figure!! Please hastak!!!

37 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. Pixelmaster

Pixelmaster >implying toys are good

News Credits:
    Because it sucked lmao

• Like Like x 7
  2. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can see why they wouldn't want to go with Legacy. Be kind of hard to do something unique then the standard multiverse battle thing. Because if they went the multiverse route it would be like any other of the 60 shows out there doing a multiverse thing

• Like Like x 2
  3. TheLastBlade

TheLastBlade Well-Known Member

Success is a strong word-no, it’s a fallacy.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

The Damned Flatlands. (I need mountains!)
    The smart decision would have been to discontinue the series after the first season. Netflix apparently operates at an even slower pace than WFC.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Effigy

Effigy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They haven’t even decided if they will renew Sandman or not, and that’s done great for them. They are very cancel-happy right now.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ironman

Ironman Well-Known Member

I will admit that the show could've been better, especially in the voice acting department. For what it's worth, Netflix did a decent job.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

The Damned Flatlands. (I need mountains!)
    That’s another one I wouldn’t hesitate to put down quickly.

8. Nelomaxwell

Nelomaxwell I gave you power

So they don't like money?

9. Nelomaxwell

Nelomaxwell I gave you power

Was Legacy going to be an unrelated Multiverse show?

10. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not that I know of but possible?

11. Ravage Stanixa

Ravage Stanixa My Spark belongs to the TRUE Perfect Decepticon.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Tumblr:
    I thought Legacy was just the toy line.

12. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There was plans for a Legacy show presumably as a sequel to the WFC show but Netflix "hated it" and so rejected it.
    upload_2022-10-1_23-26-41.png

There was also a planned multiverse comic from IDW, but that was being planned out as a "when we lose the license" story before Legacy and was eventually cancelled as well, unintentionally being replaced with Last Bot Standing.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Stryker055

Stryker055 Embrace your contradictions

Not sure if this was discussed much, but the TransMissions interview with F. J. DeSanto for the art book last month definitely sheds a little light on what the production of this show was like (not great). It seems like there was a lot of conflicting messaging from Hasbro about where they wanted the story to go, with the entire Beast Wars plot for Kingdom apparently something that they mandated relatively later in production (DeSanto mentions that it wasn't his idea and that it wasn't originally planned), and Hasbro was, at least for a time, very insistent that the show be able to fit into continuity with both the G1 cartoon and the Beast Wars cartoon, to the point where they wanted it to end with the Autobots going to Earth (specifically Portland, Oregon) and setting up the G1 story, which is apparently why Earthrise's branding was the way it was.

The overall story that comes across from DeSanto's (quite bitter) account was that Hasbro demanded a three-part show to tie in with the three phases of the toyline and left it to the writers to figure out how to make it work, continuously making story demands along the way and constantly asking the writers about where the show fits in with the timeline, how it connects to the 'multiverse,' etc. It really stinks of the current way studio execs have jumped on board the 'multiverse' concept without really thinking it through, and simply demanding that everything be a "-verse" because that's what audiences are into nowadays.

This all goes a long way towards explaining why the show turned out to be the disaster that it was, and nobody seems very happy with the experience or the final product.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I heard someone say once that “no one sets out to make a bad movie (except Uwe Boll).” It sucks to hear it went down like this.

15. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    Said it before and I'll say it again: this, right here, is why I can only roll my eyes when people say that Hasbro should just develop all its fiction "in-house." DeSanto is clearly far from blameless, but these shows serve as the measure of quality if all of the shows, comics, games, etc. were written by Hasbro executives, and they clearly have no clue what the hell they're doing. The reason these shows feel so soulless and pandering is because they're, for all intents and purposes, created by a bunch of suits who are chasing both the nostalgia of two demographics of adults who grew up with their previous product and whatever the hip new trend in media is without thinking any of it through, just foisting all of that onto a different writing team under a time limit, throwing other random, contradicting demands at them mid-production and expecting them to just make it all work. No wonder literally everyone is miserable after the fact.

16. Pixelmaster

Pixelmaster >implying toys are good

News Credits:
    Very funny how Hasbro insisted the aligned elements to be included too (ie Optimus throwing the Allspark, Trion dying etc) to the point he was handed CV scripts and highlight the stuff they wanted, yet they want to make it align with "G1" (whatever western G1 is at this point, there's literally hundreds of timelines).

Whoever keeps taking these decisions should do everyone a favor and stop working for the brand.

17. ShockSound6

ShockSound6 but you can call me GRACE

Just think how cool a G1 prequel could have been.

18. Leolim

Leolim Well-Known Member

Better WFC that’s for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Hasbro's heavy-handedness plays a part in a lot of its fiction failing or being far lower in quality than it could be if they'd do three things:
    1) Develop story guidelines up-front and don't change them mid-production.
    2) Let creators create.
    3) Revisit #1 forty-six times a aday until it sinks in.

I think, until the company comes to the realization that creators can't just turn the creative process on a dime late in the game, we're always going to be stuck getting half-hearted, sometimes disheartening takes on our favorite characters. For whatever reason, creative input seems to lead them to believe it gives them carte-blanche to screw with the creators until half of them are so bitter the only thing you sense when you watch the final product is confusion and misunderstanding.

• Like Like x 2