Netflix WfC Trilogy discussion thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by Shackstoys, Feb 15, 2019.

?

Will it be good?

1. Yes!

223 vote(s)
    36.2%
  2. No!

112 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. I'm from the future and all who said yes were right!

105 vote(s)
    17.0%
  4. I'm from the future and all who said no were right!

138 vote(s)
    22.4%
  5. I'm from the future and there was never a Titan class Skorponok figure!! Please hastak!!!

38 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm a life long G1 fan and I can truly say Transformers Prime was more of a love letter to G1 than this abomination. I didn't really care for a lot of choices that series made, but I could at least respect them. It was well acted and it's own complete story. There's nothing complete about this show. It assumes you've watched G1, The 86 Movie, and Beast Wars. You need that knowledge to enjoy this show. And I guess that would be fine, IF they followed through on that premise. But they don't, because they completely change the characterizations and the overall story. So this show expects you to have liked the previous shows well enough to have watched them, but not liked them well enough to really care about how the characters are presented or how the canon shakes out. So... I don't know. That's a really weird place to put the fans.

• Like Like x 18
  2. Yodoswaginz

Yodoswaginz Well-Known Member

I just finished Kingdom, and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I thought the ending was really sad in many ways. My gf even shed a tear when Elita's spirit said she loved Optimus.

It wasn't a perfect series, and I still find it funny when they speak in.... long.... unnecessary... pauses.... but I really appreciate what they attempted with it. It's pretty close to what I would consider the definitive take on Transformers.

It's funny though, towards the end I started noting the similarities between this show and Cyberverse. The ending in Kingdom is very similar to how Cybertron is after the Quintesson arc in Cyberverse - The Allspark has been returned to Cybertron, the Autobots and Decepticons are at peace, but divided, both standing on separate halves of cybertron.

That's only scratching the surface though - both are remarkably similar in many of the story concepts they use - the allspark looks identical in both, the dead universe/unspace, Megatron and Optimus' former friendship turned rivalry, the Autobots racing through space on the Ark to return the allspark to cybertron... etc.

This got me thinking, both of them are so similar, both Cyberverse and the WFC trilogy are modern attempts at the definitive take on transformers, but in totally opposite styles. WFC is excessively dark and edgy, while the ADHD storytelling style of Cyberverse goes too much in the opposite direction. So neither are quite perfect, but combined they make two sides of the same coin, which is the unified brand story that Hasbro is going for :D 

• Like Like x 6
  3. ScientistSkids

ScientistSkids Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

4. WolverineDragon

WolverineDragon Banned

Yeah I rather Rooster Teeth just go away from this franchise.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly Jake Foushee isn't that bad and could even be pretty good as Prime.
    He just needs get much better voice direction, needs some more experience (he's honestly pretty alright for in his early 20s) and more importantly he needs to start voicing Optimus Prime instead of Peter Cullen, like Garry Chalk and David Kaye did.

• Like Like x 13
  6. ToaDraco

ToaDraco Lightning Strike Coalition Force

Ebay:
    Finally finished it. They definitely saved the best for last. Was it perfect? Hell no. Was it enjoyable overall? I'd say definitely. I feel like Kingdom improved a great deal over Seige and Earthrise. If I had to rank them it would be

1. Kingdom
    2. Siege
    3. Earthrise

The ending felt a bit abrupt and teased the possibility of a future continuation but I desperately hope they take a different route. Ditch Rooster Teeth, hire union actors and actually produce a series with a budget featuring high quality talent. I feel like Hasbro has been killing it with the figures but have been really letting the franchise down in every other area: cheap shows, a cheap mobile game passing for a console game(the only one in 7 years), the Bumblebee movie was a huge step in the right direction but RotB sounds like a hot mess and a huge red flag, jury's still out of course. It was flawed and it was expensive but damn I miss the Aligned Continuity. WfC, FoC and TFP, I miss those days...

It's just insane to me that a company as big as Hasbro with a massive franchise like Transformers is so damn cheap and stingy when it comes to producing media products like shows and video games.

• Like Like x 2
  7. jungle penguins

jungle penguins Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I hear there was a "Shut up Rattrap" moment that got cut from Kingdom. If it didn't make it in, then Transformers is truly dead.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Energon_Skywarp

Energon_Skywarp Well-Known Member

So who were the two statues at the end of the last episode?

• Like Like x 1
  9. ClunkerSlim

News Credits:
    Bah ha ha! LoL! I don't even know. I watched it and I was like, "Oh hey, it's... uh... wait... that was the guy who died... uh... screw it... I don't care."

EDIT - I'm going to just throw out that one was Ultra Magnus. Because it probably would have been weird if it wasn't. But it wasn't super clear thanks to the bad angle.

• Like Like x 2
  10. axiant

axiant Autobot paper pusher!

Not from this production team. Maybe I'd give Studio Mir a chance instead.

Btw, one of the best Transformers fiction I've enjoyed in recent years was a fanfiction.
    It's about this adult human who's stuck with the Autobots in Ark in space. There's firefights, lore and endless hilarity with human culture.

I missed those. What is it with writers and avoiding humans and trying to be edgy? Even Ruckley doesn't like them. Trying to pander to one-third of the fandom?

11. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's what people said about Bayformers too, and we had to endure 5 movies before it went into a better direction.
    I am voting with my wallet and not buying any of these Netflix shows. Hasbro has my money because the toys are good, but I am sure not buying any MOTU Revelation toys either.
    Frankly I think Hasbro aren't idiots. They know whom to believe, and that's not the paid reviewers from CBR and other websites, when judging how well received a show was. I mean there is a reason they broke with Machinima... I think they will break with Rooster Teeth too.

Well, same studio animated it so there is that, but yes, I half expected them to build a wall there too.
    Was I the only one who chuckled that they built gigantic statues of... Reflector and Cog? Probably to represent all the myriad of nameless extras using those character models who died pointlessly. :D  "Another victim of this silly show" as Python put it.

He was perfectly fine in Cyberverse. Here, it's like they told him to listen to Star Trek TOS and emulate Shatner to the finest details...

It was Cog and Reflector. IE two nobodies, representing all the random nameless nobodies sharing that body type who died. A fitting end for this dumb show. I also wonder, how will the species survive now with both sides being reduced to maybe 30 people?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  12. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    I hate to burst your bubble, but I'm fairly positive they didn't so much break up with Machinima as Machinima collapsed. It was absorbed into Rooster Teeth, hence their involvement in the WFC trilogy.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ClunkerSlim

News Credits:
    Ha Ha! What? Cog got a statue? Ok, I guess. What did Cog do again?

14. Rojixus

Rojixus So long IDW, it has not been pleasant!

He died, you insensitive ass!

• Like Like x 9
  15. Rubytarn

Rubytarn Well-Known Member

Overall, I enjoyed the series for what it was. Its not perfect but I thought it was a fun watch. The animation I felt was better and didn’t feel as stiff compared to Machinima’s Prime Wars Trilogy, especially with the fight scenes and lipsinking.

The voice acting I thought was a mixed bag (Jason Marnocha as Megatron, Joe Zieja as Bumblebee) there were some that liked and some that I didn’t (Justin Luther as Optimus Primal, I personally felt his acting was very stilted).

How the the story was told through the six episodes of Seige and Kingdom was good. Though in earthrise I felt the story was kind of rushed and maybe if it was eight episodes instead of six I think it would’ve flesh out the story more. I also really liked the romance between Prime & Elita.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    I tried to watch Kingdom, I really did. I got 3 in and said fuck it after Dinobot's unearned 'emotional' sacrifice. I was actually fine with the fanboying BW Megatron, thinking they were going to do a 'never meet your heroes' thing and he was going to turn on and really fuck up G1 Megs' plans...but then I realized I was giving the writers too much credit when I was reminded of something Rowdy Roddy Piper said about the WWE writers in the 90's and 00's and why things went downhill.

He said (paraphrasing) that they wrote storylines for the wrestlers like they were playing video games: go here, do thing; Go there, do thing; Go over there, do another thing; get prize. Instead of letting things develop and flow via character interactions (an aside: that one wrestling episode of South Park is a really good example of how wrestling storytelling is done). That's what the writers of this trilogy are doing, and compensating for poor character development skills by cutting and pasting from better iterations of the franchise. That's what the writers of Cyberverse did NOT do, which is why it works better.

Rooster Teeth didn't used to be bad at this - The original Red Vs. Blue proves it, including having dialogue that people would actually say. All those guys are gone now, of course, and we get the new people who clearly never learned the skill of developing characters or writing natural dialogue or properly pacing and plotting, even from online classes/writers/books/videos etc that could teach them. And clearly also don't have an experienced voice director who can properly judge performances and character assignments, which left the VAs with less experience to struggle with even just being consistent. And Tigatron and Dinobot's VAs needed to be switched. Badly. Wheezing kitten sounds more proper coming out of a saurian mouth than a big cat that can roar, even if the cat's replacement doesn't sound anywhere as smooth and sexy as Blu Mankuma.

Frank Todaro's Starscream is still awesome after all these years, tho. If Hasbro opts for a better animation company next time, I want them to keep him.

--Moony

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  17. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    Last I checked Blu Mankuma was still alive.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    Wow. The animation quality maybe looks only 3 or 4 levels better than the old beast wars show.

19. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    Dang, I swore I heard he died last year or so...Clearly I DID need the sleep! XD

--Moony

• Like Like x 1
  20. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    So theres gonna be a season 4 or a movie right ??? And i would give anything for them to re animate beast wars in this transformation.