Netflix WfC Trilogy discussion thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Shackstoys, Feb 15, 2019.

?

Will it be good?

1. Yes!

222 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. No!

115 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. I'm from the future and all who said yes were right!

105 vote(s)
    16.6%
  4. I'm from the future and all who said no were right!

154 vote(s)
    24.3%
  5. I'm from the future and there was never a Titan class Skorponok figure!! Please hastak!!!

37 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. Lola

Lola Soap

What is the budget of this show, Because right know it feels like this show was payed by lemonade stands.

• Like Like x 2
  2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    It's really one of those things that shows how little they, I dunno, pay attention? The original BW character models had a lot of oddities given the interpretations of the toys and limits of CGI, but it resulted in a lot of inspired and characterful design decisions. Blackarachnia's black eyes aren't exactly typical, but it fits her colourscheme and character design. Same with how a lot of Maximals had unusually coloured eyes. (either because of the toy's or just because it fit the colourscheme)

The fact that these formerly distinct and expressive characters are getting the standard treatment when it comes to (shoddy) character design is really disappointing. Kingdom Blackarachnia's face looks so flat and plain despite being technically more detailed.

• Like Like x 3
  3. WolverineDragon

WolverineDragon Banned

:2c: 

4. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Lord High Governor

News Credits:
    Seeing this Blackarachnia kind of reminds me of when they put Hexadecimal in that Reboot continuation that wasn't that great, better technology but ironically she just didn't look quite as good as she did in the original, and they replaced her mask gimmick with a face that just ... swaps expressions on a dime. Sure they at least put a little more effort into making Megabyte kinda sound like Tony Jay as well as getting her original VA to do her voice again, so at least they cared a bit more than the people making this show do?

5. GeoSociety

GeoSociety Quit

YAAAAAAAAAAAS! THANK YOU FJ DESANTO FOR SPOONFEEDING ME MY NOSTALGIC REFERENCES! THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR! THIS. IS. TRUE. FAN. TRANSFORMERS.

• Like Like x 11
  6. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    The constant references to the 86 movie are beyond embarrassing. You'd have thought people would've learned their lesson after Prime and FOC overdid it.

• Like Like x 10
  7. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember going "holy shit 0 references to the movie" on Primes last episode.

We needed a 35th anniversary of all numbers for this "film" apparently.
    It's never going away no matter how much we want it to.

8. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I'm so over 86 movie references. It seems especially out of touch that the writers of this show still think that's hot stuff.

This whole show feels like it's twenty years out of date. The dark grittiness, the flat angsty characters, the painful yet shallow references, the silted animation... I mean if this was released in 2001 fans would've flipped their shit and thought it was the greatest thing ever, but it just seems so dated despite being brand new.

• Like Like x 12
  9. WolverineDragon

WolverineDragon Banned

So waspinator is not in the show. I can’t say if that’s a good or bad thing.

10. Necromaster

News Credits:
    I would've been... what, six at the time? I would've gotten confused and bored and went back to playing with my Bionicle figures and I probably wouldn't be on this forum today.

Good thing. Unambiguously a good thing. Can you imagine how they'd try to make Waspinator edgy? I know Animated pulled it off, but that's because the show was well written and this sure as hell ain't.

• Like Like x 3
  11. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I would have been eleven. I might have been edgy enough to like this back then, (I was certainly edgy) but yeah I probably would've just been bored. I was still smashing my toys together on the back lawn back then. :lol  (many of which were Bionicle, funnily enough)

12. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    He inherently has too much heart and genuine humor and the show forcibly expelled him when the writers tried to include him.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Necromaster

News Credits:
    I'm tapping into my inner six year old and imagining an ending where Tahu abruptly shows up on the final episode, calls everyone idiots, and spends his time punching everyone (including Unicron) in the face and then peaces out. And that's how the show ends.

It's stupid, but I can guarantee you it'll be better than whatever the hell we actually get.

• Like Like x 2
  14. WolverineDragon

WolverineDragon Banned

952534DE-3270-4F8C-8F0B-64E700E4E4FF.gif

15. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    I saw a review for Kingdom with the headline "Get ready to fall in love with Beast Wars all over again". I thought to myself "Ah yes, I can't wait to see all of the charm and strong writing stripped away from the original show, leaving me with a shallow mess that completely misses the mark on just about every front."

• Like Like x 3
  16. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Average Core Gundam enjoyer

News Credits:
    NGL, as much of a "cult classic" the 86 movie was.... that movie was now decades old, and I can definitely do without all of the 86 movies references that were shoved into all of the more recent TF media.

It may be cool the first few times they do it, with Optimus saying "One shall stand, etc". But then it got repetitive when they having (mostly) Optimus and Megatron repeating the same goddamn lines in every single movie, cartoon, comics, to the point where the lines become from like "OMG THEY SAY THE THING!!!" to become repetitive and "take a shot...".

For some reason, many critics (who aren't familiar with this franchise outside of the Live-action movies and G1) have praised the show, while reactions from dedicated fans have been much more mixed.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    I think it has to do with the fact that people who aren't as familiar with the brand are only exposed to the movies (which are certainly...divisive) and have a vague knowledge of the G1 cartoon. They haven't been exposed to much good Transformers content and view this show far more favorably as a result.

• Like Like x 2
  18. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Average Core Gundam enjoyer

News Credits:
    Part of me does wonder if they have watched other shows such as Beast Wars, Animated, Micron Legend, etc. who executed the ideas that WFC trilogy attempted in better-executed ways, maybe they won't be as "nice" when reviewing this whole trilogy.

The whole thing does remind me of how the general anime reviewing community can be quite out-of-touch with certain anime genres like Mecha by "blanketed" them as the same boring giant robot shows, even when that's not the case whatsoever.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  19. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    If anything, I would think Transformers fans would be more supportive of these shows given our love of the brand. It's funny (though understandable) that we're the toughest critics when it comes to this brand.

20. GeoSociety

GeoSociety Quit

TFTM references aren’t also cult level iconic like Darth Vader’s “I am your father” from Star Wars to casual watchers either. The problem is they don’t evoke any emotion when they've been taken out of context, falling dry. Instead it feels like a desperate “remember that was a thing?” bone throw for specifically the fandom everytime.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 2