Netflix WfC Trilogy discussion thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by Shackstoys, Feb 15, 2019.

?

Will it be good?

1. Yes!

203 vote(s)
    45.8%
  2. No!

68 vote(s)
    15.3%
  3. I'm from the future and all who said yes were right!

83 vote(s)
    18.7%
  4. I'm from the future and all who said no were right!

60 vote(s)
    13.5%
  5. I'm from the future and there was never a Titan class Skorponok figure!! Please hastak!!!

29 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. axiant

axiant Autobot paper pusher!

How do you call an entire series Earthrise then:lol Even if the last episodes are set on Earth, that's like Clickbait:lol  Especially when they're going to have Earth-based altmodes

Funny but most of the fandom has never asked for LACK OF HUMANS but rather COMPELLING, IF NOT DECENT HUMAN CHARACTERS WHO ACTUALLY HAVE ROLES TO PLAY especially if the setting is going to be modern Earth.
    Prime struggled with it cause they had too many human leads (and we all know the previous Bayformers). Imo, they should have dropped Raf and Miko and focused on Jack and Agent Fowler. Similar to what Bumblebee did with Charlie. IDW started to get better, humanwise, once douchebag Spike was off the screen since Verity Carlo was more interesting than him.

First Cyberverse then this that's just a bad precedent for Transformers imo.

Even if it's not going modern day Earth, it's still a huge copout and it just confirms my belief in or one or both of these things;

1. HASBRO &or Animations Studios are too cheap to provide/invent animation models for characters not based on existing toys
    2, Current TF writers are either too lazy or can't write a single human character worth a darn

Either scenario is terrifying for the future of Transformers media, if you ask me.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ThunderDestron

ThunderDestron Vast predatory bird

I remember someone suggested watching the SIEGE episodes at faster speed to combat the gaps between words and slow action. It apears that Netflix has just launched a feature that allows that!
    Capture+_2020-08-03-13-03-27.png

• Like Like x 8
  3. Cavadus

Cavadus Well-Known Member

I'm 100% okay with zero humans being feature in this series. Aside from the G1 cartoon I've always found them to be a poorly incorporated distraction.

4. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    I guess leaving dots for viewers to connect just isn't enough for some folks. *shrug*

I do I do agree at this point that the brevity of the season is a weakness. I understand why it was necessary to not waste further time on something that was already set up in a series this short, but if they had eaten two more episodes they would have been able to go into a lot more detail about both the backstory and the background mechanics of what was happening in the current story.

• Like Like x 3
  5. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I'm just boggling on how they're going to juggle both the traveling through space part an their time on Earth in Earthrise with the limited episode count they have going. Will most of the space parts be in flashbacks or not? As for humans perhaps we can see them as backgrounds but not as major characters thus you retain the classic elements of hiding on another planet. True it's not the same but still.

Also interested on the news about ER not being as dark as Siege. Perhaps they seem to be addressing the issues people have with Siege right now regarding the tone or that it's part of their plan to begin with.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Suboptimal Optimus

Suboptimal Optimus Well-Known Member

You know, I thought this show was going to be laughably bad. Instead I was just left frustrated by how rushed and messy it was. It isn't 'funny bad' or 'cringy bad' its just....sad, underdeveloped and under ambitious.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Rewind

Rewind Data Slug

News Credits:
    I just rewatched the first episode in Japanese and holy cow does it improve the experience. The voice actors actually convey emotion and charisma and gone...is the...deliberately...slow...delivery.

Doesnt make Magnus in a cloak any less dumb tho. :lol 

• Like Like x 7
  8. Suboptimal Optimus

Suboptimal Optimus Well-Known Member

I actually liked the cloak because it reminded me of other mechs-in-cloaks.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP My personal sense of scale

News Credits:
    Not only that, but as TheSoundwave said, you can't be a "definitive" take on Transformers and leave out a core aspect such as the Autobots alliance with humans. A side-story sure, but you can't go to Earth, have the war be on Earth, have the disguise element and not have the very thing you're disguising the characters from.

The difference is the tone and style. In the heightened reality of super robots like Mazinger or the surrealist departure from mecha conventions that was Evangelion, things like that feel stylistically at home. Lockdown's poncho from TFA, a series that's very cartoony and, uh, animated falls into this category.

In fact, Magnus wearing a cloak, while being at odds with the gritty metal edge of the world around him, isn't so much an issue has the idea that it disguises his completely unique and impossible to mistake silhouette and body shape.

Also why did he walk there? Why do so few characters actually transform in this show?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 9
  10. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    I mean on a superficial level I can definitely see that. But it still makes no sense in the context of the story and fails in what it's attempting to do, which is obscure UM's identity from both the audience and the Decepticons. The reason it can be forgiven in things like Evangelion, Gundam and Mazinger is because they often had both style AND substance... Siege has mostly just style and little substance.

• Like Like x 7
  11. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    Not only does it not disguise him but he proceeds to throw a Seeker like 500 feet through the air which isn't going to do wonders for his treatment from the Decepticons, regardless of his identity.

• Like Like x 10
  12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP My personal sense of scale

News Credits:
    I'd argue it doesn't really have much style either. It's just blocky toy-like characters in a bleak, washed out world without much in the way of distinct locale.

Like when they were walking through the streets discussing pre-war Cybertron, that would've been the perfect opportunity to show the ruins of exactly what existed. Show the shattered windows of a nearby cafe, empty Energon drinks and chairs still sat, soot-covered, from when the war quickly and savagely took away normal life. Show the interiors of ruined homes, destroyed monuments, places of work, anything to show that pre-war Cybertron wasn't just square, featureless buildings without anything in them. I know it'd require more assets, but those easily could've been matte paintings used in static or slow-pan shots. Even Beast Machines showed airfields and storage yards and office buildings and stuff, and that show is decades old now. Even the video games with their God-freaking-awful visual style for Cybertron showed hints at a working world before the ruin. The locales and set pieces actually depicted some kind of society.

This show fails to establish the start of the conflict, and it fails to show the true ramifications of the conflict. The "War" in War for Cybertron is crucially under-developed for how often it's repeated.

• Like Like x 12
  13. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    Yeah honestly, I was being too generous. :lolol 

• Like Like x 1
  14. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

The one time this really stood out to me was the Soundblaster energon stealing scene. In G1, one of them would have transformed and the other would have loaded their alt mode up with energon. Here, one character grabs two "rocks" of energon, and then they go find a transport to carry them out of there, while trying to run away from others after them. You'd think it should be instinct for a Transformer to transform and drive off if under attack.

• Like Like x 4
  15. RetrogradeMercury

RetrogradeMercury Well-Known Member

So little transforming on a Transformers show! I want to see robots changing into things! Makes me yearn for the stock transformation sequences of actual Japan-produced TF shows.

It’s too bad this is such a dud. A Netflix TF series sounds wonderful in theory.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Moos Crew

Moos Crew I make stuff

I made a video review for it.
    Over all 2.5/5. But did leave me wanting more.

PRO TIP. use Japanese AUDIO with subtitles.

WAAAAAAY BETTTER

• Like Like x 4
  17. Magnum Dongus

Magnum Dongus Stupid Idiot

I’m fine and all with changes and new ideas as long as they make sense/are an interesting new idea, but if you’re trying to make a “definitive” G1 representation, then wouldn’t you want to nail the characters and story elements? I’ve always hated the movies because of how much they’ve changed unnecessarily and misrepresented to the mainstream audience, so when we get a new show based on G1 I’d be hoping it gives people a better idea of what the original Transformers was. But so many changes were made that just don’t make any sense at all. Red Alert being a medic? Bumblebee being a dick who doesn’t care at all about the Autobots until he is forced to join them on their very last day on Cybertron? Impactor’s faction? Ultra Magnus, a character who is heavily associated with the later part of the G1 story, being killed off before the G1 story even starts? No human friends once they get to Earth? Optimus Prime being a poor leader who nobody respects and is voiced by any person other than Peter Cullen? The “Allspark” plot device which wasn’t even a thing until the 2007 movie? Doesn’t sound very definitive of G1 to me. At this point I’m surprised that their “definitive” G1 Bumblebee wasn’t a mute badass muscle car.

• Like Like x 5
  18. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So theres a surprise appearance in the last episode? Who and when?

19. Moos Crew

Moos Crew I make stuff

OMEGA SUPREME

20. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh? I thought based on the mods early review that it wasnt so obvious