Netflix WfC Trilogy discussion thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Shackstoys, Feb 15, 2019.

?

Will it be good?

1. Yes!

222 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. No!

115 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. I'm from the future and all who said yes were right!

105 vote(s)
    16.6%
  4. I'm from the future and all who said no were right!

154 vote(s)
    24.3%
  5. I'm from the future and there was never a Titan class Skorponok figure!! Please hastak!!!

37 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

Nope.
    I *think*, despite being released as one toyline, that the Siege figures are actually secretly a rollout of multiple toylines:
    *The designs they wanted in the show
    *Continuations/stuff they hadn't gotten to yet from Prime Wars
    *Titan partner bots
    *Micromasters
    *Targetmasters
    Having all these extra characters allowed them to pad out the background/side characters in the show, but I don't think they were all intended to be there at first. (Spinister sticks out in my mind as being particularly out of place, he feels like a "later" character.)

This is just my opinion, based upon nothing but observation.

2. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Its like an having a bunch of books you never read. Yeah sure, they're technically there but they're unexplored.

3. Cyberbot8460

Cyberbot8460 Who The Hell Do You Think I Am?

YouTube (Legacy):
    They didn't have Siege toys, so....

• Like Like x 1
  4. rikkomba

rikkomba Hunger

The Voltron series has 8 seasons and five-six times the number of episodes of the Netflix WFC trilogy. Different scope, different budget. Could Voltron achieve the same quality in six episodes?

5. ZEGR

ZEGR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah,Voltron's first six episodes were way better...They wqere building theuniverse/lore,the characters everything

• Like Like x 3
  6. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

Dude, it isn't good writing, for the simple reason that it wasn't in the script. I've not seen the script, of course, but as I indicated in the previous post, I am extremely confident that the delay is due to how the scene was edited. There's no way on earth that a script with as many action cliches as this one had - a script which has the Autobots walk right into an ambush and then lets them escape almost entirely unscathered - intended for the characters to stand around like goons just so that the tiny number of ex-military bros watching it could go "Actually that's what people do in a crisis."

It's an accident. Jetfire's response is obviously meant to be swift and heroic, not grudging.

It's also only one moment out of many where the characters are sluggish and stiff. I only picked up on this one because it was amusing.

In addition to that, if you were penning an action script and I was your editor - and you insisted on putting in a part where the heroes stand around dumbly in response to a sudden development because it's 'realistic', I would tell you to make sure we cut to their faces and at least show that they're feeling horror, that they *want* to do something but can't think what. I would also suggest you save such a scene for a moment when what has befallen one of their comrades is genuinely crazy and unexpected - not when one of them is comically whipped up into the air in exactly the fashion they were warned might happen. Remember, these are the same characters who *didn't* suddenly seize up when Cog was shot through the middle, but immediately went into action stations.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With a smaller story, yeah. Maybe not as good as the actual thing we got, but not as bad and cheaply made as Siege.
    I knew nothing about the franchise going into the show and it did a great job at getting me hooked and introducing the lore to me.

• Like Like x 3
  8. metalogan

metalogan Well-Known Member

alright so I hardly post but have been a member for a LONG time now. I also don't do random podcasts regarding an entire series ..but after that thing I saw ( Transformers WFC Trilogy on Netflix ) I felt compelled to do this. I wanted to share this with my fellow Transformers fans. There were some issues I wanted to tackle and address with this show so decided to do this and put it on youtube. Turns out it was about an hour long - whoops. But I go over characterization, production, delivery the most

• Like Like x 1
  9. fu2kimus

fu2kimus Well-Known Member

I tried watching it again. I’ve gone from indifference to an active dislike, the way characters talk, the way they move, the way they do anything is just so slow and plodding. I’d go as far as to say the worst episode of Armada has more sense of urgency, and action than this. I understand the budget wasn’t as high as something like Prime, but it seems to be a creative decision for how slow everything moves.

I don’t need my Transformers media to be deep, or have complicated characters, but I do need it to be interesting to watch, and have atleast a little bit of charisma, and maybe some humour. This has nothing!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Arduous

Arduous Megatron Rules All TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Absolutely love reading all the different (love<->hate) post! Always nice to hear other opinions.

The core of what I like about this series, as with Prime Wars to a lesser extent, is the use of the actual toy in the character model. G1 in many cases rarely matched its on screen version. Kids today get to see their toy come to life onscreen..that is pretty cool!

as for the story ... come on people it is not like any TV/Movie Transformer story has been good...except Animated. ;) 

• Like Like x 5
  11. rikkomba

rikkomba Hunger

I am not sure what Siege Netflix did to personally, deeply offend so many fans. It's clear that this is not about the technical quality of the series - it's about something else. I wonder what we would have read if instead of Elita 1 Optimus had to find comfort in Dion.

• Like Like x 3
  12. AshleyCuadra

AshleyCuadra Tieria Prime

News Credits:
    It’ll be cool to get screenshots though

13. fu2kimus

fu2kimus Well-Known Member

It didn’t offend me, I just dislike it. I don’t really have a problem with the concept of the series, on paper. I just really dislike the way it’s directed, and drabness of it all. I’m going to reference it again, but it’s already been said in this very thread “zero fun”.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ZEGR

ZEGR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    lmao Nick Nolte as Ironhide...that was awesome!

15. Frontier4

Frontier4 Well-Known Member

I think Prime is more comparable to Legendary Defender than Siege is. If I had to compare Siege to anything, it would probably be a slower-paced G.I. Joe Resolute.
    Optimus, to me, felt like a noble and righteous leader on their last legs of a losing war and coming off whatever high he once had after receiving the Matrix and initially opposing Megatron. Kind of like how he started off at the end of Autocracy to the beginning of Primacy. So he was starting to let self-doubt and whatever scraps of hope he was still clinging to effect his decision-making.

I think Jetfire was only starting to realize how far Megatron had fallen from when he initially founded the Decepticons. The show seemed to be trying to convey that Megatron and the Decepticons falling to the depravity and extremism that fans usually define them with was more gradual, or at least clouded by the war.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    There are so many excellent TF stories already written, ready for animated adaptation (MTMTE someday... Please?), it gets frustrating watching yet another TF series with such simplistic characters, dialogue, and plotting.

For once can we see animated Cybertronians that reflect some forward-thinking sci-fi concepts?

I mean, Alpha Trion can scatter his memories across a network and infect another bot with them, but the whole of Cybertronian history isn't on record anywhere? Well of course not, because then the "mysterious" artifacts (mcguffins) they're always chasing don't make sense.

I'd love for once to hear about all the hacking and data warfare that led to such massive holes in Cybertronians' collective memories if that's the setting we're always going to be stuck with. It would also explain why they communicate verbally, and have triggers on their weapons... (open up your wireless frequencies, and you get hacked!)

I get this series in particular is completely toy line based, and needs to be accessible to kids, but Hasbro needs to realize the TF franchise media fan's average age is much more mature and we finally need a series for those fans.

Hell, look at all the great DC and Marvel comics stories that have been adapted into toons of some sort or another, and let's dig through some of the great TF comics to do the same.

• Like Like x 6
  17. Marvelboy1974

Marvelboy1974 Well-Known Member

So, who do you think will join the cast for part 2 and part 3, respectively?

18. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good points and good historical comparisons. I am also mad that they did the Magnus surrender in episode 1 already, and basically neutered his character. He might have been a great warrior and good friend to Prime, we just... never saw that, he gets tortured and killed. Never even transforms.
    Mirage seemed like a new kid, someone who has just been created or he just joined the Autobots... so when Impactor told him about the mines I half expected him to tell him off saying he did not even exist then. And indeed, he never talks about what he did before the war.
    The closest when the show became poignant was when Elita remarked one of the ruined buildings used to be a theater, I think.
    And indeed, Megatron goes from giving Wheeljack a chance and recommending Autobots to find the nearest "surrender booth" (are those like the suicide booths in Futurama?) to wanting to exterminate them all.
    As I said, it often felt like every episode was written by someone else, and the series director went on holiday.

I been saying that for ages. Take some good stand-alone story arcs from Marvel, IDW, Dreamwave, and animate them. Target 2006, The War Within, Stormbringer, Megatron Origins... there are countless ones to list. Do them like DC did Under the Red Hood or Superman Doomsday.

• Like Like x 4
  19. jungle penguins

jungle penguins Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agree very much, but I think there's another factor here, sort of an inverse/reverse of what you're saying? Like a more serious toned show of a perceived children's/family's IP seems to have harsher arguments defending it (regardless if they have merit) in addition to what you suggested (harsher criticism).

• Like Like x 1
  20. Cavadus

Cavadus Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's like in some episodes they had it wrapped and then someone else came along and shoehorned in some extra Megatron dialog that directly contradicts the action he immediately takes after.

If Megatron resisting some of his more evil and depraved tendencies and/or suggestions from others had been handled better he would have been a lot more interesting character. Or even giving him and Magnus kind of an ol' war buddies catch-up moment, just the two, would have gone a long ways for Megatron. They refer to each other as "brothers" but Megatron only shows even the faintest of friendship when he tells Shockwave to cool it on the torture... and then he and Shockwave instantly dial up the electrocution strength immediately after, lol.

• Like Like x 3