Netflix WfC Trilogy discussion thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by Shackstoys, Feb 15, 2019.

?

Will it be good?

1. Yes!

203 vote(s)
    45.8%
  2. No!

68 vote(s)
    15.3%
  3. I'm from the future and all who said yes were right!

83 vote(s)
    18.7%
  4. I'm from the future and all who said no were right!

60 vote(s)
    13.5%
  5. I'm from the future and there was never a Titan class Skorponok figure!! Please hastak!!!

29 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. Longitudinalwave

Longitudinalwave A Big Fan of (Sound/Shock)wave

I will agree that Elita One was handled quite well. It was nice to finally see her get a speaking role in a show again (the last time was ten+ years ago, in Animated, and there she was sort of subsumed into her Blackarachnia identity). She was competent, she wasn't annoying most of the time, and she had a decent design.

I kind of wish they'd done more with the other female characters, since they handled her so competently. (Arcee was good in episode 5, but since that was also her debut and episode 6 was very busy, she didn't get to do very much).

• Like Like x 1
  2. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Been busy with work, but finally sitting down to watch it!

• Like Like x 2
  3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP My personal sense of scale

News Credits:
    Also did the show just forget that Moonracer died? She shows up at the end again, just fine. I thought it was a generic that was sniping from the top of the space ridge, but no, it’s literally her. Same colours, same voice, same sniper tactics. What the actual hell.

The dialogue got so bad near the end, especially when they actually had to animate the pauses in Elita’s close-up, really highlighted how unnatural the dialogue was. The animated also got janky near the end, like Omega’s claw bursting through the ground, then cuts to Omega nearly completely risen from it, arms at his sides, with no transition. Did King Crimson animate that scene? His voice was also awful. All that processing tech and you can’t pitch it down in post?

And aside from giving the location of the Allspark, did the Alpha Trion Protocols serve any purpose? They show up only to be swiftly deleted, with no hint at a greater purpose or what they were even for.

• Like Like x 3
  4. kwanzaabot

kwanzaabot Well-Known Member

I didn't dismiss the show because of the voice actors (although I am very much pro-union. Workers deserve representation, always).
    I dismissed it because the writing was bad.

• Like Like x 1
  5. protohuman

protohuman Joe weapons manufacturer

Longitudalwave's series observation is basically spot on with my opinions. However the most important aspects of a Transformers show, for me is, plots and character work. Second comes wanton and slapstick comedy. The cinematics were a bit too slow and clunky for me to fully accept the gritty world depiction in wfc1. Obviously I like the character work a lot and the CGI, shaders and effects were pretty fantastic. I hear you on wanting more effort for these kinds of projects, like the aforementioned lack of character models. If they take this aesthetic more seriously in the future I hope it's an IDW collaboration. I hope the dialog becomes less serious in part 2 so maybe by part 3 Kingdom we can see some full hakuna matata with the animals dancing around singing. Then I'll think the entire series was awesome and worth it.

• Like Like x 3
  6. kwanzaabot

kwanzaabot Well-Known Member

Also, even though it's based on CAD files, they couldn't draw Omega Supreme's feet. I thought that was just a 2D art thing, not drawing feet?
    Every time they do a full-body shot of him, his legs are obscured with a dust cloud.

You can really tell Rooster Teeth did this.

THANK YOU!

THIS.
    ALL OF THIS.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  7. protohuman

Too make Bubblebee feel special for the audience? Also the protocols seemed to be a reason for the guardians to get pissed.

8. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Yoinkus

News Credits:
    Is there any way to change a show's speed on Netflix? I watched a clip someone shared here at 1.25 speed on Youtube and it was honestly much better. Maybe a tiny bit too fast, but better. I think between 1.15 and 1.20 speed would be perfect to solve a lot of the problems people have with it being slow or boring

Just like the show we're discussing;) 

• Like Like x 7
  9. RobotKnight95

RobotKnight95 Unamused and Insane

News Credits:
    Imma just leave this here
    MemeDrake.png

• Like Like x 2
  10. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

The Protocols are head-scratching until you remember they were just a plot device to the virus plot (especially why the virus would just do a dead stop as it was really just designed to destroy the Protocols). It is a literal MacGuffin.

• Like Like x 2
  11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP My personal sense of scale

News Credits:
    This show makes me re-asses Transformers Prime. Yes, that show had a shit plot with aggravating characters, but the voice acting was good, the animation was good, the designs were at least concerned with quality and looking good. Granted it shares a lot of similarities it’s this in terms of problems, but fuck if it wasn’t the soulless, cheap corporate product this show is.

Trying too hard and failing is better than not trying and still failing.

But they weren’t. Only Omega came to help, even stating he was operating alone when Megatron questioned their neutrality. The Protocols didn’t factor into his intervention at all.

• Like Like x 5
  12. protohuman

Yeah, I mean Prime tried to cry to them and make it a big deal saying if they got it back or whatever. In the dialog with Alpha, he makes it sounds like the protocols are just a bunch of boring ass mitzvots or laws. Like Magnus or Bee gunna throw the book at a Decepticreep.
    Also, Alpha basically told Bee that Prime is going to die in part 2.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  13. RobotKnight95

RobotKnight95 Unamused and Insane

News Credits:
    Pretty much. Even if people didn't like the final product of Prime you could at least tell the people who worked on it were passionate for the show like High Moon with their games. Both studios loved the franchise where the studio in charge of Siege and Prime Wars feels devoid of knowledge, investment, and above all respect.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Rojixus

Rojixus WE. ARE NOT. THE DECEPTICONS!!

The real siege was the angst the Autobots felt along the way!

• Like Like x 4
  15. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    On the topic of voice acting, I really want Susan Blu to come back to Transformers in a voice directing capacity. Beast Wars and Machines, Animated, and Prime all had great voice direction and I feel like her presence alone could improve a lot of the acting in this or any future series.

• Like Like x 12
  16. TheDude810

TheDude810 I have an unhealthy obsession with the RotF Game

People are already making redubs lol.

I think the problem here lies in the fact that the new voices are coming out of designs that we are already familiar with. Had HasTak not used G1 designs for this show, it would make more sense.

• Like Like x 8
  17. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    Agreed. It's really jarring hearing a completely new take on Shockwave coming out of a very G1-inspired design.

• Like Like x 2
  18. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    A small thing; I thought maybe they didn't have the models available to make Ratchet and Ironhide, which was why Red Alert was basically just Ratchet. But then they did have Ratchet, and then they left Red Alert behind on Cybertron and took Ratchet with them?

I liked Ratchet's character though. Most of the show is hamstrung by G1 bait, but there's a confluence of IDW and Aligned ideas that was interesting as well. Bumblebee might have been more interesting if he was Hot Rod (in fact, I think this basically was Hot Rod's character in Autocracy) but again, it's 84-85 or bust.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Not Blitzwing

Not Blitzwing Nameslapped Seeker

News Credits:
    Hell, even Cyberverse had more passion and love for the franchise. At least it tried new things.

• Like Like x 7
  20. TheDude810

TheDude810 I have an unhealthy obsession with the RotF Game

It’s kind of like HasTak wants to have their cake and eat it too. They want to branch out and try new things, but they also want to keep doing G1 inspired stuff.

• Like Like x 6