Netflix War for Cybertron Trilogy Siege Reviews.

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tony_Bacala, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Op Minor

Op Minor Well-Known Member

Some great reviews so far in this thread. Just finished a second watching and wanted to weigh in (non-spoiler). Long story short: as a G1 and BW fan, I think this 6 episode arc is an excellent piece of work, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The first watching though wasn’t all peaches and cream. I stayed up until 3am EST to watch it in full when it debuted here on the US east coast. With each hour of waiting for the debut, my expectations went up and up, and by 2:45am they were at impossible levels. When it finally debuted, everything just felt... off. Not just the voice acting, or even the animation, but just the overall direction and tone. There were some incredible visuals, but by the end I was just counting down the minutes until the conclusion, and to get some much needed sleep.

Today though, well rested and with an open mind, I ventured back in. Now knowing the roadmap of how the chapter plays out, I noticed much more the second time around, and a good deal of nuggets that do a good job of setting up the next chapters. And while the characters aren’t exactly like how they live in my G1 memory, the writing in the series so far is done well enough to create new memories of these characters, which I hope will live on through the rest of the trilogy. But the biggest takeaway through my second watching was that in this series, similar (mostly at least) to TF:TM, when characters die, they really die. Sure they can be repaired if injured, but having that mortality raises the stakes tenfold, and makes the sacrifices and choices of the characters (both good and bad) mean so much more. And even with the seriousness of the stakes, I credit the series for still including some lighthearted moments and even humor to break some of the tension. I’ll admit that I really missed more of these kinds of moments that G1 and BW did so well, but WFC did a good job of sprinkling them in (not to mention a good deal of wink and nudge type moments for fans to enjoy). Lastly, with a fresh take today, it felt really good to see the WFC toys basically come to life onscreen and fight and have motivations. Props to the animators for the work put into it, as I can imagine it’s no easy task.

All in all, good stuff all around. Can’t wait to see how Earthrise will play out next :thumbs2: 

• Like Like x 7
  2. Oktiduz

Oktiduz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    I thought Megatron was fine in the original English version. I just thought he spoke too slowly when he showed emotions beyond "calculative", which happened quite frequently to be honest.

I actually like the pitch of the voices of Wheeljack and Bumblebee. The problem is that there's almost no range at least to me (Bumble less so).

Elita One for some reason sounds way too combative 90 percent of the time. Judging from her actions and her facial expressions, I don't really get that feeling, so the dichotomy is a bit distracting.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Donnie707

Donnie707 Well-Known Member

Feels like they spent all the budget on the animation and didnt pay for a real script and most of the VA were phoned in. G1 feels like it had a bigger budget compared to this. Cybertron just doesnt feel "alive" enough. Feels like its missing something.

• Like Like x 4
  4. autobotsrollout

autobotsrollout Well-Known Member

it was said in the series..... It wasnt all said at one time... you piece it together with what megatron, prime and magnus say throughout the series.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Evacuation Prime

Evacuation Prime Leader of the Toilet Troop

If Hasbro Pulse gave names and bio to ALL the repaints in the show, I would love it.

6. samisham

samisham Well-Known Member

Cog.
    Cogman.
    Cogwoman.
    Autobot Cog.
    Cogblast.

• Like Like x 8
  7. banjoted

banjoted Timelord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Having been really down on this after the first three episodes, I watched the rest this morning and, yeah, I do think it improved as it went along.

I still think the art direction is awful, it's poorly framed and they really fluffed the characterisations BUT as a fan experience there's definitely something there. Would probably watch more.

Still struggling with Megatron's lips though. WTF? In fact, I was often mesmerised by the way the characters' METAL torsos would twist and bend as they moved. Like, just flex at the rigging joints and make them look machine-like! Which is harder to animate and therefore costlier, of course...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    Do you know what I don’t get people complaining about it being too dark when you have the option of Cyberverse and vice versa. If you don’t like dark/light tone shows than just watch Cyberverse/WFC.

As a fandom we have so much variety.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  9. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    So I just got done watching it. I enjoyed what I watch. My few nitpicks include Soundwave's voice effect (it made me feel like I was losing breath for some reason) and
    The Alpha Trion protocol was too much like the Ozpin/Oscar situation in RWBY with me, but much faster with the melding. Also realizing that Battlefield Rung might be a homage to the pink A3 hologram thingy Bumblebee saw, but they couldn't retool him. Makes sense on why he's with a dead Magnus now.

Gonna be honest, for a while there, I thought Bumblebee would end up becoming a Magnus if Shockwave's virus didn't kill it off.... I wonder if those memories can return since the virus also didn't perma-kill teletraan one.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Meister61

Meister61 Starscreams Ghost

Watched 1st 2 eps, it's pretty bad lol.

• Like Like x 3
  11. jojo1982

jojo1982 Well-Known Member

I just watched it again yesterday and I think I had a better time watching it on the 2nd viewing, than the first viewing. I guess cause now I know what to expect and I can just sit there and enjoy the little things of it.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Oktiduz

Oktiduz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Ok, I'm done with my second watch through - this time in Japanese.

I found the series to be a lot more bearable and enjoyable than English. This might just be a side effect of watching this twice, but I found the story to be so much more coherent. In addition, I actually ENJOYED sitting through all 6 episodes instead of feeling like I had an obligation to finish the series. I thought I was positive towards this show, but I realized, the more I thought about, that I was only trying to like it. I hated it the more I thought about it.

The key difference is the fact that it kept me engaged. This is important because when bored, you're going to forget some crucial details. Also, the voice acting in Japanese conveyed the story so much better in my opinion as said details in English weren't memorable enough to keep in my mind.

I really didn't understand the character of Megatron in the English version, but I actually somehow do in the Japanese. Like his ideology and motives are so much clearer in the dub. Essentially, he starts off wanting to unify Cybertron through having both Decepticons and Autobots following his vision of Cybertron. While he seems to be a good guy because of his ability to make the lower classes, the proletariats, feel purpose, he's still the villain because he deems himself to be the ultimate decider of "truth". He's the ultimate master of the planet because, in his mind, that is his own grandiose vision of himself. And in his mind, anyone who dares to go against that vision is going against him. He's the literal definition of a "bigot".

The character development of him changing this belief to eliminating all Autobots in order to create a unified Cybertron is much clearer in the Japanese dub as his slow descent into murderous rampage was much easier to see when he becomes more and more dishonorable in his means to end the Autobot resistance. As Jetfire said, Megatron ends up wanting to commit genocide. Is this Shakesphere writing? No, but at least I understand him and his character arc.

I think it's clearer because I'm not constantly bothered by the lines being spoken so slowly in order to create "dramatic effect", and I'm not constantly bothered by him having almost zero range especially when he's angry. I can pay actually pay attention to his words and actions.

Optimus Prime was a serious upgrade for me at least. And all it took was a change in voice actors. As much as people want to argue that this is a "young and indecisive" Prime, I don't necessarily agree with that interpretation. When you think about it, Prime is 100 percent sure of his decisions and his beliefs as he doesn't back down from his core principles and his own sense of honor even when others question his commands. Instead, I think of this as a "Captain America" type of situation: putting a person who is the epitome of traditional values and principles in a broken world. Prime in this show is exactly that: he had faith in Ultra Magnus even after he surrendered, allowed Decepticons to help him in his fight, and believed that death was better than what he considered as slavery. Did he question himself a few times? Yes but that doesn't mean he has no idea what he's doing. Now, in the "Captain America" type of situation, instead of the character trying to change to fit the world, others try to change him. By having individuals like Elita question his beliefs, the series seriously tests Prime's own beliefs and ideals and asks whether was he believes in is right. I think by the end, Prime won a small victory: a previously neutral guardian helped him, he got two new Autobots, and Elita One developed as a character to share his sense of "hope". As the show said, Optimus will experience the greatest triumphs and losses: this is what I think it is referring to. Hopefully, the next two installments build on this character arc.

You think I got this from watching the English dub?! Dude, I couldn't even get past the voice. It was so distracting to the point where I couldn't pay attention to what I think the writers were trying to say. Optimus in the original had almost no range and sounded like a 12-20 year old guy faking a deep voice. Instead, in th JP dub, we have a voice that matches up his character. He's capable of laughter (am I that obvious?), stating his beliefs with conviction, and being angry in or out of battle. I think the two key parts were "We are not Decepticons!" or "Leave them alone!" that really showed me the difference between the quality of the voice acting. Also, just by sounding better, he came off less as a dumbass.

These are just some of the things I was able to notice. Again, I don't know if it was because it was acted so much better or whether it was my second time through, but my opinion has drastically changed. It's not perfect: for example, Bumblebee's arc was shi*. But my opinion has gone from a 2-3/10 to something much much higher: 7-8/10.

• Like Like x 4
  13. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    Magnus and Megaton discuss the uprising, Prime and Megatron discuss it, and Impactor talks about it as well.

It's not even subtle.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Just finished watching the full part 1. Epic! Can't wait for the story to continue.

• Like Like x 5
  15. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    My problem isn't that it's too dark, its that the show is almost completely devoid of any levity. You can have a dark story that has humor and light moments. Just look at Lord of the Rings. I find those to be pretty dark movies. But there are great moments of humor and somelighthearted character interaction. And if Lord of the Rings is too high a standard, just look at something like the WFC games. Plenty of quips and moments of levity throughout those.

To me there's almost no excuse for a piece of entertainment being this serious and humorless. I'd argue the only exceptions are stuff that are about actual real-life tragedies where levity would come across as disrespectful. This is a show about colorful cartoon robots that look like toys. They can absolutely get darker with it, but we still need some levity and humor. Otherwise it just feels like it's trying to be edgy.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:

But I think that was a conscious direction. They wanted you to feel the Autobots panic, desperation, and questioning of Optimus’s decisions (which for me I felt). They wanted you to feel Megatron’s compromise after compromise of his values till they point of murder, where there was no turning back (I felt that).

On the others hand with Cyberverse my response overall is “this is really nice and fun” and occasionally Cyberverse surprised me with its occasional shift in tone (Bludgeon’s kill for example).

Quite frankly I think WFC is going we’re Prime left off, a more mature Transformers show for us fans who have grown up but still love the robots in disguise. Is it perfect? No! (Looking at you Ironhide’s voice (I will bring this up till it is fixed :lol )), but it’s a damn good start.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  17. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Something the general public would have no idea about.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The greatest monologue in the history of film.

They dared to reference it, I hope they dare to show me the C-beams and the attack ships on fire. That....that would be epic, epicness.

19. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Autobot panic would be better displayed by voice acting that is actualy decent at making them sound desperate.

Megatron's "compromise after compromise" would actualy have been felt if he wasn't blatantly a evil liar from the get go who executes helpless captives because they're not Decepticons and thus I never had a single reason to doubt he would say no to the Allspark being used as a weapon.

The problem of the show is not it's tone, the problem is how every single thing executed about it was simply not done well. When you go for dramatic and serious you have to be able to deliver on a weighty narrative in both presentation and content.

• Like Like x 2
  20. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    "I've had fans reaching out to me being like, 'We need the Elita-1 spinoff, Elita in charge of Cybertron while Optimus is just gone'.'"" Rousseau said.

I have wanted this for years too

Shockwave and the Rainmakers vs Elita and crew !

• Like Like x 8