Netflix War for Cybertron Trilogy Earthrise Reviews

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tony_Bacala, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Tony_Bacala

Tony_Bacala Car Robots Professional Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Old):
    Youtube (New):

I specifically addressed this and said the exact opposite of what you just said. If you are saying I'm lying, so be it, your opinion. Just want to be clear from my side - that is not true. My reviews and thoughts are what they are because it's how I feel.

Prime Wars - trash. Did not like Animated, Prime, RID201x, or Cyberverse. Unicron Trilogy - also found sub par.

Don't think these are the quality the brand deserves. That being said, I like the underlying base story. Execution I have issues with. My reviews are within the scope of understanding this is a lower budgeted and most likely rushed production. I'm not comparing it to movies or other better animation, just what's good / bad, here & now.

Also not saying anyone who poo poos on it is wrong. Speak your minds. All good.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  2. just a transformers fan

just a transformers fan Daft Punk will forever be missed

WAIT IS IT ALREADY ON NETFLIX?!?!?! 

3. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    2 days till it's out. This is an early review.

4. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    So I had the opposite road to the same conclusion. I was excited for a mature Transformers series and I liked the trailers I saw, but as I watched the show, overtime I realized that the voice work totally destroyed the show for me.

If it is more of the same, I struggle to justify giving the show the ‘views’ Netflix uses to appraise the show.

• Like Like x 1
  5. optimall

optimall Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    What I can\'t understand is this:
    Beast wars, a 25 year old show, had animation that was nearly up to par with siege. 
    It had better voice acting, better pace. It made me laugh, made me cry. 
    Transformers prime, a 10 year old show, had animation superior to siege. 
    It had better voice acting, better pace. It made me laugh, made me hate humans in a TF show. 

Why all these years later do we have such a slow moving, slow talking, poorly written story that has jarring flat animation with 20 of the same sounding voice. 

Scott mcneil voiced waspinator, rattrap, dinobot and silverbolt all on his own and they had more range and would than any 4 on earthrise. 

It wasn\'t a big ask to give us something a bit better than what we got. 

• Like Like x 13
  6. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Also just gonna throw this out there, but if watching something at 125% speed is almost necessary to enjoy it, the show's got problems.

• Like Like x 7
  7. O.Supreme

O.Supreme Defender of the Ark

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Of course, all opinions should be respected

I happen to agree with all of this except for the case of TF Prime. To me that was the diamond in the rough as far as the last 20 years of animated series (Strangely I enjoyed the heck out of RiD/Car Robots, but everything seemed to drop off after that).

I enjoyed Siege for what it was, and am looking forward to ER. With only a BotBots series known in production at the moment. ER and Kingdom are really all I have to look forward to.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cykill 1

Cykill 1 Well-Known Member

So, in the end, Rey comes in, uses the Force, and saves the day?  lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. rikkomba

rikkomba Fishmonger Supreme of TFW2005

You are comparing different IPs launched in very different markets over different periods. Even the concept of what a "cartoon" is changed from one to the other. The expectations and budgets are accordingly different.

10. optimall

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I am sick of that being the excuse for everything.
    You can't tell me that there were not better "budget" voice actors out there? I personally could pull off more distinct and interesting voices than half of that cast combined.

The pace: That's not a budget constraint as much as being lazy.

The story: Again budget or not, I have read fanfic with more soul and pace than Siege.

The animation: Budget or not, 25 years have passed since Beast Wars and I would prefer that animation over siege. I have seen youtubers post impressive videos that they created on their own with no budget: The animators phoned it in on this.

It kills me because I LOVE the WFC toys, I love the concepts of beast wars and G1 coming together.
    There was so much potential, this could have been the show to talk about for the next 20 years, it could have set up spinoffs, sequels and new toy lines, but all that people will talk about is the horrible pacing and terrible voices. oh, and the drawn out sentences.

I will watch Earthrise, and I pray it improves. I want it to succeed so badly, but the review didn't fill me with hope.

• Like Like x 8
  11. Wild Eevee

Wild Eevee Well-Known Member

I'm just happy that Sky Lynx is finally appearing in something.And no I don\'t count the one from Predicons Rising.

• Like Like x 1
  12. optimall

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    For all it's flaws, that is the one thing I am grateful for. Characters like Scorponok, Skylinx, Skytread, Spinister, Bugbite, Soundblaster.
    The one thing the show has done right is give some love, even if ever so brief to these lesser loved characters.

13. rikkomba

rikkomba Fishmonger Supreme of TFW2005

And I am sick of ranting becoming a substitute for rational discussion. To each his own.

14. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    Yeah I don't get that defense either. Whether you enjoyed it or not Siege is Swiss cheese with the number of genuine plot holes and illogical things that happen in it. It doesn't require a higher budget to make a story that makes basic, fundamental sense.

• Like Like x 10
  15. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    Yeah totally agree. If you start dividing the cartoons into different “eras” “qualities” ‘can’t possibly compare’ etc. you are splitting hairs.

This show can fairly be compared to Beast Wars, G1, Prime, Animated, etc. and it leaves much to be desired.

let’s have a rational discussion my friend.

What would it take for you to consider WFC a (so far) bad series?

For my rational the contrary would be:

what would it take for me to consider WFC a (so far) passable series?

It would be the voice work. If the voice work was more professional I would enjoy the show. Would it still have problems? Totally, but it would go a LONG way. :) 

looking forward to your reply.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
  16. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    Here's the thing about Siege, now Earthrise, and Kingdom when it comes out: from a rendering perspective, the animation is quite solid. Granted it's pretty much a 1:1 transfer of the CAD files over to the animation with minor tweaks to allow the hands to gesticlate and the faces to (in theory) emote, but the lighting is pretty well done, and the framerate is noticeably smoother than the Prime Wars trilogy. Where the animation falters is in the details: the seemingly deliberate lack of expression from any of the characters, the failure to smooth over toyetic details like Megatron's arm gaps for his transformation or screw holes, and the repeated obfuscation of transformation sequences by having them occur behind dust plumes or off camera a good half of the time. There's no care put into the parts that matter, and that's what's crushing.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
  17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Somehow Beast Wars with its abstract, inhuman faces with features made of negative space had more fluid, natural, and believable emotions at a time where CGI was virtually brand new than a 2020 series where CGI is so typical and commonplace it's often seen as a cheap alternative over traditional animation because it's that much easier to use. But no, Siege makes the characters look like stiff, creepy puppets, despite having more human and typically easier to emote faces than the characters who were basically CGI puppets in the 90's. (with separated nutcracker jaws and eyes that had no eyeballs, just flat "lenses" the eyebrows and cheeks moved on top of, and they still looked good)

The voice acting is also just a blatant cheap move by Hasbro, because union actors cost more, and they don't give a shit about quality. Even Cullen and Welker have acknowledged this.

The Netflix series is cheap crap. I'm sorry, but why split hairs when the obvious is staring us right in the face? Are we really going to pretend this series isn't what it is, when there's mountains of evidence and examples to the contrary?

I just don't understand how this nosedive in quality just got accepted by fans when we had TFA and Prime. I don't even like Prime, but Prime at least was quality. Its faults aren't because they were cheap and didn't want to pay for quality. (arguably its faults stem from an unsustainable ambition for actors and animation it could only barely afford to begin with, rather than an avoidance of them) When did our standards just collectively bottom out?

• Like Like x 16
  18. herugrim

herugrim N/A

Ebay:
    This review has convinced me that this season is no better than the last and affirmed my choice to cancel my Netflix long ago.

Going from machinema to rooster teeth is like going from being homeless to being destitute. It's the same thing with another name, and you're still at rock bottom.

While prime wars was poorly written, had stiff animation and mostly subpar voice acting, at least it had some flashy scenes,some spectacle.

War for cybertron has been stiff, slow, poorly written, poorly performed, underdeveloped, and just plain aweful. I've read fanfics on this site that play out better and photocomics with better effects.

I will never understand how people can still rip on energon when the character models here are just as stiff and full and the story is just as bad if now worse. At least Energon had some flashy battles and lasted long enough for something to eventually happen.

I know taste is subjective but there is so much objectively wrong I don't see how it can pass to any reasonable person. There are stop motion shows on YouTube better than this hot garbage.

19. RobotKnight95

RobotKnight95 Unamused and Insane

News Credits:
    A few theories including content starvation and/or lowering expectations to the point ANY content is acceptable. Another could be that Hasbro is just making what masses, people that know the bear minimum of Transformers, want from the franchise but just markets the series as "for adult fans" as a way to get more people to watch it. That's all this "mature" and "for the fans" marketing is. Marketing. It was never made for long-term fans but Hasbro still needs as much people to watch as possible. There's still this difference between having people who have a fondness for the material/franchise (High Moon Studios) and those that are just treating it like another job to may payments (Rooster Teeth). Say what you will of the WFC/FOC titles, we can all agreed the staff making them cared about the brand while working on them.

As for the quality of the show I can summarize it with this quote - "The entertainment industry isn't about WHAT you know but WHO you know." In the world of entertainment (cartoons, comics, games, etc) people get in with barely any talent because they are friends with the accountant or some other figure head. It doesn't matter if they lack talent so long as their friend vouches.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Thylacine2000

Thylacine2000 Well-Known Member

Cyberverse came out THIS YEAR. It has funny dialogue, clear character motivations, distinct voice performances, and they remember to transform.

Everything wrong with the Netflix show is deliberate.

• Like Like x 4