Netflix War for Cybertron Trilogy Earthrise Reviews

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tony_Bacala, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Makarov

Makarov Well-Known Member

Loved it. Only wish it could have been longer so we could have some side adventure one-offs, but as a 6 episode show this was solid. Surprised cog had such an important moment.

Optimus was a better leader in this season than in some instances of G1. In G1 the 2nd or 3rd episode when he drives into the cave Optimus tells them if he's not back, come in and get him. In this show he says if he's not back leave him blow the station and survive. He was also starting to consider shooting unarmed Megatron in the face, which we never got the chance to see in G1.

Show had a lot of memorable moments for me. Personally the 1986 references worked as more than just fan nods considering they're playing around with actual timelines here a little bit

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  2. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This show is like taking a 2 page essay and needlessly bloating it out to 100.

• Like Like x 4
  3. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In Stock

News Credits:
    merclineup.png

• Like Like x 2
  4. KJ_81

KJ_81 The Fourth Datsun Brother

Please, no. I'm still too burnt out on Roberts to handle that. And I couldn't handle 9 seasons of everyone just being 'the funny character'.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Moxen

Moxen Member

This season felt like it was mostly filler.

The mercenaries, Quintesson and space station were all pointless. If you cut allllll of that out and go from end of seige to the Nemesis catching up to the ark you get the same result.

Unlike the space half of the season, the Cybertronian half of the season was actually interesting. Elita-1 continues to be a standout character for me.

Optimus continues to be horrible. Batman’s voice was cool in the Dark Knight, but has no place coming out of Primes mouth.

The voice direction is the worst part of the series. Nearly every voice is the same- growly, painfully slow and whispering. Like, Optimus....was significantly harder to listen to in Earthrise. I feel sorry for the actors since they’re getting most of the blame.

I actually liked Siege more. As flawed as Siege was, Earthrise is much, much harder to watch.

Also, screw you for showing those coneheads. My Amazon order was canceled five months after I placed it, wtf man.

• Like Like x 9
  6. optimall

optimall Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So, again we see Astrotrain for all of 1.5 seconds.
    And again they don't use his design for anything more than a glimpse of him.
    We have 100 different seekers, 100 different reflectors, cogs, ironhides, sideswipes and impactors, yet they can't use the Astrotrain design for more than a fleeting second.

W.T.F?

• Like Like x 5
  7. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In Stock

News Credits:
    Minus the 4 minutes of credits in the six ~24 minute episodes, you get 120 minutes total, then watch it at 1.5x you go 120/1.5= 80 minutes of true content.

I found the 80 minutes to be entertaining.

I had my Siege figures out thinking I would get bored (and end up reading about the episodes on wikipedia), but I didn't dick around with them at all while watching at 1.5x, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Magnum Dongus

Magnum Dongus Stupid Idiot

Man, I am just burnt out...

Similarly to what a lot of other people have been saying, I liked it better than Siege, but that is not exactly much of an improvement.

Just like with Siege, there were a lot of parts in ER that made me think the people working on it had only surface level knowledge of Transformers, so they had to do a quick search of the lesser known concepts and accidentally mixed up their most popular or most recent incarnation with these supposedly G1 versions. Kind of like how Red Alert in Siege was characterized as a medic like the Armada character, or how Hound sounded an awful lot like someone trying to do an impression of John Goodman's Hound from the movies? Something from Earthrise that gave me the same feeling was how the Quintesson was handled. Like Cyberverse, it was treated more like five different entities sharing the same body rather than the classic depiction of one entity with five represented emotions. What I found even more interesting was the fact that they also lifted the concept of the judgement and wrath faces being female straight from Cyberverse, which further supports my theory.

Oh yeah. And, that one part with Ravage. He barked when he came out of Soundwave's chest. It even said he barked in the subtitles. Look down at my signature and you'll see that I take these kinds of mistakes very seriously. Big no-no on their part.

One thing I think that was really cool (and also disgusting) was Shockwave and his weird little adrenochrome-like experiments, like fueling the Nemesis and later himself. It was a really creepy idea how their victims were housed in pods (sleeping? or awake?) just waiting to get their juice sucked out, especially when Shockwave sent that message to all Decepticons to come to the Arena for "refuge." That was really evil of him, and made for a really cool yet disturbing plot element. However, it was not really used that much. Funny thing is, I found myself extremely bored with all the Cybertron scenes, but that one concept in particular I feel could have made for a good story elsewhere.

My final statement before I get into some miscellaneous quotes: Gee golly goodness, is Netflix's Optimus Prime the biggest fucking idiot to ever (or should I say never, despite the show's title?) walk the face of the Earth??? Easily the worst version of Optimus Prime we've ever gotten. It's like the writers think that Optimus has a switch in his brain that can only ever be flipped to "self-loathing whiner" or "Snarling Bayformers monster." That kind of makes me think it's another example of the writers just quickly looking something up, like they heard the complaints about the Bay Autobots being too violent, so they made OP such a beta soybot he won't even take Megatron prisoner. But while I'd like to argue that there were many situations in which some of the Bay Decepticons could have been imprisoned rather than brutally executed, Megatron is the one guy that you don't hesitate to put down, unless he very explicitly unconditionally surrenders, and even then you would hold a trial which would very likely end with an execution or numerous life sentences. Point is, Optimus's heroics and mercy are a massively important part of his character, but they were exaggerated to laughably ridiculous levels with this show. He was less "merciful" and more a naïve idiot.

After that scene, I believe Megatron remarked to Shockwave something about feeling envy for his lack of emotion, which kind of did show that he felt bad.

Is it just me, or did Soundwave have just one specific line where his vocal delivery sounded totally different from the rest of his lines? I think it was the one where he says there is a transmission from the Ark. It was really strange because he had another line right before it that was in his usual barely comprehensible voice.

Shockwave.jpg

In Cyberverse their "Un-space" really took the role of Transwarp Space rather than the Dead Universe, although there was a part in Earthrise when Wheeljack did briefly call the Dead Universe "Un-space." Again, makes me think the writers were kind of confused, because the Dead Universe and Un-Space are not the same thing.

I've said before, it really reminds me of the Prime Wars Trilogy, how each installment really had almost nothing to do with the toyline it was named after. Like how in Titans Return, which was supposed to be all about headmasters, we didn't exactly see very much headmasting going on.

The thing with the generics is, their colors were so faded and everything was so dark that you could barely even use that to tell them apart. Everybody was all vaguely brownish/bluish/purple. For some of the characters like Skytread and Spinister, I wasn't sure if that was actually them or just generics who shared their body types. I don't know why my Netflix's subtitles were on, but I kept it that way because the names actually helped me to recognize if I was looking at generics or not.

EXACTLY. I thought the same thing. I mean, it was still kind of cool to see, but it's not like I was shocked to see it. Seeing Earth after all this time was strange. I'm not sure how good it's going to look in a full season, but it's not like this series has much to lose.

• Like Like x 6
  9. AoE

AoE OUR WORLDS ARE IN DANGER

News Credits:
    Agreed, they were interesting ideas to have but 5 minutes into their introduction 4/5s of the Quints were killed off, The Mercs ended up blown up, and the space bridge/planet was seemingly for nothing but an excuse for the Ark to be pinned down and sent away.

Nothing against Jake Foushee but God I wish they didn't hire him because to be a replacement for Peter instead of his own thing; and when he did do his own thing his Optimus just came off as a whiny kid in the season finale

• Like Like x 4
  10. Rotek666

Rotek666 Well-Known Member

Sad and painful to watch. Cringey dialogue mixed in with beaten to death one liners from other shows. Stalled action that stops when it starts to heat up. Also just stop with the fallen revolutionary hero Megatron. Frustrated pacifism is still baked into Prime's character? Come on. So being beat up and blasted by a fusion cannon is a coded message that ol' buckethead wants to talk? Let's go war! The show is named war for cybertron after all not pew pew kick up some dust and engage in meandering padded dialogue.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Makarov

Makarov Well-Known Member

I thought the mercs and quintessons served enough of a purpose, they tried to compare quintessons backstory to Megatron's actions and the mercs gave the decepticons a way to locate them

I mean you can cut Quintessons and junkions from the 1986 movie as well and just go straight to the attack on unicron if you want it wouldn't change much. They didn't even have any backstory at that point they were random aliens, I still enjoyed that stuff

12. JukeOutlander

JukeOutlander Combat Antihero

News Credits:
    Some of the weirdest and stupidest scenes were the ones involving Cog. He just shows up randomly in the last episode.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    when Optimus gets angry is the worst voice acting of the whole show

• Like Like x 9
  14. Ramjet555

Ramjet555 Well-Known Member

The fact Hasbro is forcing this kid so hard is sad. They're trying to make him a Peter Cullen voice to fill the role for decades to come but he just doesn't have the chops to be Prime. I'm sure he has talent but man, he is not cut out to be Optimus in any way, shape, or form.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Dann86

Dann86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They assumed they were dead cause they went through the space bridge when it exploded so had no idea if they got through etc, there was a significant amount of time passed between them leaving and being rediscovered.

Scrapfaces toy was a netflix figure so technically not Siege or Earthrise.

Scorponok doesnt have a decepticon insignia its a Scorp symbol. Screenshot_20201231-102017_Chrome.jpg

Sorry to be nitpicky but thought would clear those bits up for you

• Like Like x 1
  16. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In Stock

News Credits:
    Deseeus? Kinda want to pry the other four heads off... with extreme prejudice! :eek: :p 

IMG_2958.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  17. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    Finished watching it. I found it a lot better than Siege, since it was not as derivative of earlier materials and still kept in-character for the continuity.

There are tons of minor nitpicks, but nothing that would prevent me from recommending it.

Overall, Siege was a 6/10 for me, this is a 7.5.

• Like Like x 3
  18. SamMeasa

SamMeasa Well-Known Member

Have to say I was more interested in the Wolverine Anime then this chapter of the netflix Transformers.
    I watched it threw twice. The first time I ended up having it on as background clutter. The second time to catch the parts I missed but still it didn't hold my attention and was more interested on my laptop. Will likely have to catch it a third time if I want to be sure I knew the story, Something to do before the last chapter comes out.

P.S. I deleted a massive wall of text/complaints twice. Mainly because it was heavy on opinion, spoilers and the fact that I'm not a critic. YouTube has more then enough of those to do the job.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  19. MightyMegs

MightyMegs Well-Known Member

Joyless and soulless. What kid would want to go play with his Transformers Earthrise figures after watching that?

And if they %^*& up Beast Wars in Kingdom, I'm going to be pissed

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
  20. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I called this shit-dive in quality since Cyberverse, a major red flag, and people are just now noticing. :rolleyes2