Netflix plans a He-Man cartoon

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by QLRformer, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My wife pointed out that He-man has the same transformation as Sailor Moon. :lolol 

• Like Like x 9
  2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    "Man, must be nice. Y'know, living." -Adam

Y'know, anger is a completely valid emotional response to pain and trauma... to a point. It is, however, one of many emotions people can and do feel when dealing with pain. It is also the most fleeting one, flaring rather than sizzling. Yet of all emotions it's easily the easiest to write, and so it gets elongated past the point of realism. Why make Teela a dynamic individual with complex emotions when she can just be mad instead? Why make Randor a multi-dimensional character when he can just be mad instead? Grieving and coping with pain is a complicated process and goes through many emotions and stages, not just anger.

Anger is the pitfall of any "gritty" take on an 80's brand. See: The Netflix WFC cartoon. Most characters in that are perpetually miserable, angsty assholes because it is the cheap and easy way to seem grown up. The original cartoons rarely portrayed characters with anger, so the easiest way to seem darker and more mature is just to make everyone a spiteful asshole. Teela's dialogue above is just atrocious, making her seem especially unreasonable to the man who literally gave his life. It's not just that she's mad per-se, she's allowed to be mad, it's that she refuses to react dynamically and acknowledge other people's feelings, putting her own pain first. That's an intensely unlikable and unreasonable thing to do, and makes her seem petulant.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 9
  3. Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    It's what I was talking about earlier. They think being strong and independent means you're a jerk.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Well, there's five more episodes coming so that's not really the end. Just the end of this arc.

My wife and I were cracking the same jokes during his "henshin" since she's a huge Sailor Moon fan. :lolol 

• Like Like x 2
  5. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

Having only seen the first two episodes, I guess I am in the minority

I didn't think Teela's reaction was wrong, imagine for years your friend who you thought was not the strongest but he had a good heart and always had your side suddenly shows you as he's dying that he is the guy you fought side by side with for years and your surrogate father and your friends mother and pet animal and that guy who just hangs around cause he's part of the court lied to you.

On top of that, your friends dad just in a fit of rage banished your surrogate dad into exile simply cause he didn't know. I'd honestly be pissed at everyone in the room also. It was also a heat of the moment thing but watching magic kill someone you care about and learning its going will make you go "good riddance" as well. The set up of going to find the swords is more admitting she was being hasty and even then came off as begrudging at best.

All that said, I am enjoying it and looking forward to seeing more

• Like Like x 5
  6. JukeOutlander

JukeOutlander Combat Antihero

News Credits:
    Have they addressed what everyone thought of Adam disappearing when He-Man appears? Do they just chalk it up to him being afraid and hiding?

7. Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Honestly, people not knowing he was he-man was always dumb to me. He looks like the prince and rides a cat that looks exactly like the one that said prince owns.

• Like Like x 4
  8. JukeOutlander

JukeOutlander Combat Antihero

News Credits:
    I mean if your friend is missing in the heat of battle and you didn't get to the bottom of it the first time it happened, some friend you are lmao

• Like Like x 1
  9. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Crossover confirmed!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never understood why people would even assume he has another identity. Like Superman and Clark Kent people never suspect the two are connected because they just assume that Superman is just always Superman. So they don't look any further into it. Same would go for He-Man IMO. He doesn't wear as mask (or much clothing either) so why would anyone assume he's hiding another identity?

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Just gonna spoiler my whole post so it's easier to read:

Her reaction isn't "wrong," but it lasts too long to be a simple reaction, and is an entirely selfish appraisal of the situation. If it were me, yeah I'd be mad at first, but eventually I'd move on to other feelings before I have to consider the whys and hows of what it all meant and realize that said friend only held that secret in order to do good. Which he did. Teela is acting like Adam was at all selfish for being He-man, but he wasn't. Worse, she's trying to guilt him into pitying her, as if he should have known better before sacrificing himself. It's a really ugly moment and makes her seem self-centered and unreasonable. She seems less upset that he died and more upset that he lied, and it makes her seem like a child. She shows no inkling of wanting to understand or forgive, she just wants to be angry.

Still not as bad as Amber from Invincible, but pretty bad. Teela's reaction is entirely too selfish and narrow-minded, and she doesn't go through the emotions she should if it's simply part of the grieving/coping process. It's trite and formulaic, and entirely too simple for a show trying to be an "adult" spin on a classic 80's cartoon.

He doesn't answer texts and all his fan mail gets return to sender'd.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  12. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Wreck N' Rule

News Credits:
    @Novaburnhilde Thanks for posting that image, this was the scene that broke me.
    OKh71JH.png

I get being mad at Adam because of his secret, but the scene goes bad (for lack of a better term) that they are basically in Motu heaven and Teela is essentially yelling at Adam's Ghost and that him doing the ultimate sacrifice to save EVERYONE hurt her in the long run.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Well he's done a lot of them over at DC
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Even just did a crossover with his own multiverse
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Who knows what he'll crossover with next

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  14. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

How dare Adam be so selfish to sacrifice himself to save everyone? How can he not consider Teela's feelings?
    You know, a part of me is starting to hope she will really turn out to be a lesbian, because I'm not sure she deserves to be with Adam.

The way Randor reacted in that comic is exactly as I expect him to react and much better than what happened in this show.

You expressed very well what I'm thinking too.

• Like Like x 4
  15. ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Was it though? We all agree that
    Orko isn't dead. Right? That fake-out death couldn't be more cliché.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Wreck N' Rule

News Credits:
    I mean, do we know for sure he is dead? He could just be trapped in Subternia for all we know.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I found it funny because
    killing off characters carries little weight when they actually die while in heaven/hell. LOL!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Yeah considering how Adam returns in episode 5, the stakes don't feel that dire. Which is probably why that last scene in the same episode fell flat for me.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well
    Grayskull did say that if he died again he couldn't come back. Of course that just begged more questions. It sounds like he was saying that they were in a sort of Valhalla - place for the honored dead. But if that's the case where do the rest of the dead go? And assuming there is a third land of the dead then, like you said, no big deal. Adam is dead and he can't hang out with the all star team anymore but I'm sure the other place is just as nice right?

20. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:

Also

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 5