Netflix plans a He-Man cartoon

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by QLRformer, Aug 18, 2019.

1. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus DON'T TRUST THE RENDERS!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, as much as I like Kneon and Geeky, I don't buy a damn thing from their "insider".
    That's pretty much been my stance on this.
    I'll wait to actually see it.

2. jungle penguins

jungle penguins Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    So in terms of recent trademarks, seeing stuff like King He-Man and Snake Face. These could just be for that collector's line and not related to any of the 2 shows.

3. TattooedRobot

TattooedRobot Too Much Horror Business TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There was an overarching story but it was also episodic. Not necessarily linear.

4. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    This one is supposed to be a sequel to the original series written by Kevin Smith and with a great looking cast of voice actors.

The cgi one no one really knows since the only thing that's been seen about that one is the initial image of He-Man. Most likely it's another reboot and, just based on He-Man's design, looks like it might just take elements from the original and the 2002 series. Which would be really cool. Honestly, even though we don't know anything really other than the image I'm kind of looking forward to this series over the Kevin Smith series. I'll watch them both, but still.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Given I’m not a huge MOTU fan(only seen bits and pieces of the 2002 series), I think I can go into these with an open mind.

There’s definitely going to be no shortage of MOTU media now. And just might be something for everyone.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

She-Ra is the female lead character of She-Ra.

Teela is apparently the female lead character of He-Man.

Ergo, it's becoming the same show.

I wonder if they will decide to make Teela and Evil-Lyn a couple.

They should have made it a continuation to the 2002 He-Man series at that would have at least made sense given how much they were developing Teela to take over for the Sorceress in that show.

• Like Like x 3
  7. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

It had continuity, but it was funky because the writers couldn't count on stories broadcasting in order. Basically, the seasons have to go in order, but the episodes within a season can be in any order as long as the multi-part ones stay together.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Sorceress Teela seems like a no-brainer. Matty Collector went that direction by declaring the "Battleground"/pre-Filmation Barbarian-Bikini version of her as her look after she claims her birthright (she also wears that outfit in one of the Mini Comic published by Mattel for Power-Con, but I can't find a scan of those pages quick enough). Her description on the package was "Heroic Heir to The Sorceress".
    battleground-teela-bio.jpg battlegroundteela.jpg

DC Comics went a similar direction as well, though they ran with the idea of turning her Sorceress version into their Canon version of the pre-Filmation character "The Green Goddess".
    He-Man_and_the_Masters_of_the_Universe_Vol_2_12_Textless.jpg

(Don't expect anything like that outfit on the show. Kevin Smith was quick to denounce Metal Bikini Princess Leia once that became a controversy some years ago. I remember that episode of "Fatman on Batman".)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    What? This will be about Teela? :( 

10. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    The original did that as well.

• Like Like x 2
  11. TattooedRobot

News Credits:
    You really don’t know what you’re talking about. Should I be surprised. Notice I left the question mark off that last sentence.

• Like Like x 3
  12. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I do share Dr Kain's fears that they are doing yet another pandering to certain crowds here. Teela was a great character and I would like to see her origin explored (I assume same as what the 2002 show planned, they will reveal Fisto being her father) but if this is the big epic conclusion to Eternia's story the old show set up, then the focus should be on the main hero and villain, He-Man and Skeletor. I mean this is a short miniseries - this would be like if someone rebooted Batman TAS for a 3-episode final definitive story about Batman, and then spent all 3 episodes focusing on Batgirl leaving the cape behind to become a cop. Which I 'd be super interested about, but then, maybe call the series Batgirl. Here too, they could have made it clear this will be a Teela miniseries.

There was even a comic that sort of continued the 2002 story, albeit only for one issue, showing how King Hiss escaped.

Ah so it was like Batman TAS? I remember, I NEVER saw the second episode of Cat and the Claw, bloody CN just never aired it after the first, or at all any time I was watching.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Dr Kain

Not just that, but I'm also worried that they are going to pander to the SJW audience and turn every villain into a friggin good guy.

YOU GET A REDEMPTION! YOU GET A REDEMPTION!! EVERYONE GETS A REDEMPTION!!!

• Like Like x 3
  14. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    A bit early to start judging this show based on the previous attempt at She-Ra when this one isn't being done by the same group of people don't you think?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dr Kain

It's Netflix. The individuals involved is irrelevant to me.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

It's Kevin Smith writing a fan fiction sequel of He-Man, that has me more worried.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    :rolleyes:  Dr. Kain going to Dr. Kain I guess.

Yeah, with Kevin Smith it could go either way. Won't really know until the show is released though.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

See, I'd actually be less worried if it was just a straight up reboot. Even if that reboot was in the same universe as the She-Ra series. And, it was still starring Teela. I'd have no problem with that.

My biggest worry is that he is making this a sequel to 30+ year old cartoon, that is supposed to take place right after the last one stopped, (last I heard.). That's a much bigger redflag. And, now, he's redirecting the show away from He-Man, to Teela. Which, that show is not about. Meaning, he's already making changes. It sounds like a fan fiction, version of that TV show.

Teela The Rebooted Show, where it follows Teela instead of He-Man, would actually have me less worried. Being that he'd be starting fresh.

• Like Like x 2
  19. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

There were mini-comics that focused mostly on Teela, and TV episodes with Teela-centric plots. So I'm not overly concerned in the first place. But I also don't think they're going to leave He-Man retired for the whole story. I think Kevin Smith is only telling us the beginning of the story, and that bringing back He-Man will probably be part of Teela's quest.

• Like Like x 2
  20. TattooedRobot

News Credits:
    Yes who Teela is, is a big part of this story. When your mother is the Sorceress your story arc is probably going somewhere. The story was always about these two characters. From the mini-comics, to Filmation, to 200X these two characters are important, together. It’s not an either or, I’ll be surprised if Smith cannot figure this out. 200X was smart to codify this dynamic back through Queen Veena and King Grayskull.

• Like Like x 4