Netflix plans a He-Man cartoon

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by QLRformer, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    King Randor's Castle after losing He-Man, Duncan and Teela

• Like Like x 6
  2. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I miss old Skeletor...

• Like Like x 11
  3. ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    saveme.png

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  4. WeVoCoN

WeVoCoN Well-Known Member

Skeletor took his red stapler.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

Its the guy who did Bill in king of the hill, it was almost that exact voice in the episode down to his scream being dropped out of the bubble, my wife laughed her ass off when she heard it. But it did change a little later in the show, maybe he got older or more courage?

• Like Like x 2
  6. ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude it changed in the first episode before they even went to Greyskull! lol!

7. excelhedge

excelhedge Overseer of Weird

News Credits:
    Here's a reveiw from a former Mattel brand manger of MOTU.

8. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:

And now for something different

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    When a company licences something to create a product based on it, they own the product.
    So the G1 show was owned by Marvel Productions and Sunbow. The characters and concepts belinged to Hasbro, but the show itself wasn't.
    Just like the Marvel Comics.
    Neither party could use the show as a basis for something new or to make profit off of it without the other party agreeing.
    This is why Animated was cancelled and why every show starting with Prime was a Hasbro production, that way Hasbeo can more easily control the direction and profits of the brand without having to share control or profit with a third party, makes exploiting nostalgia down the line easier too.

That's what's happened with MOTU, Mattel owns everything, save for the material that was created by others outside of their control. So this new show that's trying to exploit Filmation nostalgia has to be different, and can't be an actual direct sequel to the original show because that would mean cutting a deal and profits with DreamWorks.
    That's why the idw Marvel reprints have been so hit and miss, because Marvel owns the content and a handful of characters and you need to license the content and the characters separate.

This was the case with Transformers and the rest of the Sunbow Hasbro stuff. It looks like Hasbro either bought the rights or the last rights holder to have content for the Hub

• Like Like x 3
  10. excelhedge

News Credits:
    x7h9apq5ozb71.jpg This right here is why I'm going the track down a 200X Power Sword for the Masterverse Toy.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I watched it for the first time on Netflix tonight. I noticed that Skelator sounds like the Joker. Then l realized Mark Hamill is the voice. I hope Orko comes back and l was hoping that Evil Lyn and Beast Man will turn good.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    He looks really nice with the 200X sword and axe.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Idk, that sword looks more like one of the 'Skyrim Paddle Swords' to me. Like he's going to paddle a canoe with it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Well the original plan was gonna be that he-man lost his sword in the 2002 series and man at arms replaced it with a mechanical one. But it got scrapped over a reboot.
    They tested out various prototypes with kids and that was their favorite design so they went with it.

• Like Like x 5
  15. excelhedge

News Credits:
    Sorry I'm just not a fan of the Toy based sword it comes with. Heck I'd settle for a "filmmation" sword but I don't think they ever made a decent one for the toys.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Nor do I, but I still think the one there looks cartoonishly large, like a 'Skyrim Paddle Sword'. I think I personally would go with the one that comes with Prince Adam instead.

s-l640.jpg

It's not as busy, nor as cartoonishly large, but still a bit bigger, and more detailed than the one that comes with that figure you posted. Maybe just paint it a little, and it'd be perfect.

huge-200x-lot-masters-universe-man_1_2b6b5686dc07b2a83ff22e31dff3a51f.jpg

I also think the one that comes with Teela would be a great fit as well.

• Like Like x 2
  17. excelhedge

News Credits:
    I found a couple ways to get the one in the picture. But thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  18. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    I've seen more discussion on this thread on MOTU in the last few weeks than maybe anywhere else. I would call that a sign of MOTU having enduring popularity amongst fans, even if the discussion can get somewhat negative.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rodimal Rodimus

Rodimal Rodimus Agent of Unit:E

The Revelation series may look pretty, but I can definitely see people's issues with it as valid: the bait-and-switching, making its heroine unlikeable, and attempt to gaslight people who offered criticism.

• Like Like x 2
  20. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I do wonder how some of MOTU was based on John Carter and Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers.

I meant, really NOW we know this was never meant to be a sequel. I was talking about Ram-Man "in general". As I understand he was a really minor character in the old show who did not appear that much, while he is far more prominent in the 2002 one, so that's why I was wondering why you would dismiss him as a nobody. Clearly this show takes inspirations from everything from comics and toys - Blast-Attack and Scare Glow were not in the original show either, ever.
    The only reason we still mention that the Filmation show is because of Kevin's and the promo material's blatant lie. Surely they knew even 2 years ago they cannot use the old show's designs or music because of legal issues, yet they kept silent about it until 2 weeks before release (and that was on a tweet, not in the trailers or major marketing material, so most people never knew). That's 100% on them, and that's why we point it out. That'd be like if Michael Bay kept saying since 2005 that his Transformers would continue where Rebirth ended, and kept to it even after we got the first trailers... :p 

MOTU never went away, it just has its own fan forums elsewhere. The topic on He-Man.org is about 220 pages long now, and each episode also has its own discussion topics...
    I mean let's be honest, before 2007, this was also the case for Transformers too. I for one wasn't really on every TF forum discussing the latest terrible TF anime that came out... :D  I followed the discussions on DW comics and the toys, and that was pretty much it.

In the 2002 show she always transformed into a falcon and stayed that shape when outside the castle. I am rewatching it now but I think there was a reason, maybe she made a vow that keeps here there, possibly why she is immortal in there? I know she was outside as a human back when she met that amnesiac soldier and fell in love (it's how Teela was born) but perhaps that was before she took up her duties as the Sorceress. We do know her name is a role and there have been other Sorceresses before her.

It just reminds me how much better even the battles were in the 2002 series. I mean, it would have cost them literally NOTHING to expand on the Castle Grayskull siege. Add more Masters, more Evil Warriors, they are non-speaking roles. I'd rather have seen them fight than those weird skeleton guys who are easily dispatched. I assume those were from the Filmation show too?