Netflix plans a He-Man cartoon

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by QLRformer, Aug 18, 2019.

1. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

You can just comb back through the thread to see people asking "who is this for" and claiming it's actually for casuals who only vaguely remember growing up with the Filmation show. Or making claims that "the fans" or "a majority of the fans" feel a certain way. And it is absolutely a "no true Scotsman" argument--which they are making. I recognize this is not your argument, and maybe that's why you're confused. While I'm quite skeptical of the poster argument, I'm not actually arguing against you in that comment. What I'm doing there using what you said to point out the irony in those other people's claims about what the fandom wants or thinks. I'm not one for gatekeeping--if you think of yourself as a fan, you're a fan. But if they want to claim to represent the "real" fandom when they're paying only casual attention, I think the irony is worth highlighting. It was an off the cuff observation inspired by your comment.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  2. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Banned

Something screwy has definitely gone on behind the scenes in the last 5 years with the rights. The copy for Eternity War 15 from 2016 which is the last comic before Dark Horse's Revelation prequel that doesn't literally include Filmation's He-Man still had it under license to DreamWorks. DC's continuity had much less to do with Filmation than Revelation does, but it still had under license to DreamWorks.

3. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

After a rewatch I actually like it more. Removing he-man was definitely a bait-and-switch on smiths part, but at the same time it’s at least a different story. It’s new and unexpected. I like that.

I’ll definitely watch it again to see if there’s anything I missed and I’m excited to see part 2 for sure.

• Like Like x 5
  4. JukeOutlander

JukeOutlander Combat Antihero

News Credits:
    Wouldn't being the successor to the sorceress be on par with transforming into He-man? I don't see why she wouldn't be able to fight side by side with Adam if she followed that route. Maybe I'm missing some lore, but the sorceress can leave Grayskull yeah?

• Like Like x 3
  5. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah can totally be that way. I think *I'm not a big he-man fan* she can leave it but it's too dangerous to leave it totally unguarded. I assume if she did become the next sorceress they would hand wave a reason why she could be out and about.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    In the Classics mini comics, Teela did that. She was both The Sorceress, but still fought physically (using her "Battleground Teela" look)

• Like Like x 4
  7. flamepanther

That's... murky. At least in the Filmation universe. She's said on multiple occasions that she can't leave. At other times, she says her powers are weaker outside Grayskull (which implies that leaving is possible). She's said at least once that she can only leave in the form of Zoar the falcon, which is normally the only way we see her leave. But we occasionally see her in human form either just outside the castle, or going far away with the help of some magic item. Is it that she literally cannot leave except as Zoar or with special help? Or is that something she "can't" do because she would be too weak and/or would reveal that the castle is unguarded? I could be wrong, but I'm leaning toward the latter.

In the mini-comics, she's still responsible for protecting the secrets of Grayskull but is seen elsewhere lots of times with no issue. Especially if you take the stance that she's the same person as The Goddess and/or the Sorceress character seen in the very first minicomic.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The copyright text reads:
    "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe and all related trademarks are owned by and used under license from Mattel, inc. Under licence to DreamWorks animation."

What that means is that DC didn't go directly to Mattel for the comic license, but went through DreamWorks and likely bought a license to publish comics based on the Filmation series.
    So basically Mattel owns He-Man, MOTU etc, but DreamWorks owns the Filmation show itself, and likely was in the position to sell a license to a third party.
    It's like when Paramount licences movie tiein merchandise for their Transformers movies.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Ambrojh

Ambrojh Well-Known Member

The Netflix He-Man season 1 was predictable and a lot of reused items, but it was done well and entertaining. My only complaint is that it is only six episodes. This is my complaint with the majority of Netflix created content. Anyway, the show had a new well done and voice acted cast. It would of been better if it were more episodes, like an episode showing how Adam originally became He-Man, how Skeletor became Skeletor, how Evil Lynn fell in love with Skeletor. MOTU is slightly before my time and have no nostalgic attachments to the characters or original show, but this "pre-veiw" season would be nice if it lead to a longer season and more character backstories. Also, the show did there 80s best to include a lot of characters for waves of toys.

10. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Banned

That's not really analogous though. IDW doesn't get a Transformers license from Paramount and then publish Infiltration, their own universe with nothing to do with the Paramount movies. That would be the equivalent to DC's Masters of the Universe.

11. flamepanther

While we're on the subject of Teela's future, there's a weird disconnect in the Filmation universe as to why exactly it's Teela's destiny to become the Sorceress of Castle Grayskull. Initially, it's implied that it's her role because she's secretly the daughter of the current Sorceress, as though it's a hereditary role. But when we eventually learn the origin of said Sorceress, Teela Na, it turns out the previous Sorceress was not Teela Na's mother. We could suppose the role is fated by some other means, and the next destined Sorceress just happens to be the daughter of the current one. But no, Teela Na was given a free choice.

In the earlier comics, it's because the Teela we know and the Goddess/Sorceress Teela are the same person. Skeletor separated a portion of the Goddess' essence and turned it into an infant child (somehow, being inside the Talon Fighter's perch made this possible), with the intention of raising her to be his soldier (and eventual bride!) in order to usurp the throne of Grayskull. But instead she is given to Man-At-Arms to raise as his daughter. At some future time when the full power of the Goddess is needed, the two Teelas will have to become one again.

Filmation carried over Teela's rescue and adoption by Man-At-Arms, but discarded the rest of her origin, leaving her fated to become the Sorceress... because reasons, I guess. :p 

I suspect Teela's original origin inspired the backstory of Adora being kidnapped as an infant by Hordak and Skeletor.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    But it's what happened here. Mattel owns the brand, but DreamWorks just bought the company that held the license to the Filmation series.
    That license seemingly had the ability to sell a license. That's why it's "under license to".
    It could also be the case that DW didn't actually have the right to sell a comic license and just assumed it did, like McFarlane did with Miracle Man.

And no in this case IDW would not publish Infiltration, but something similar to the movies, like for instance the "prequel" and "sequel" books that are non cannon.

The G1 show was in a similar situation until Hasbro just bought the show rights back, or the license holder.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jungle penguins

jungle penguins Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mattel doesn't own the original shows, that we know. It's the everything after that we get hung up on.

I swear I heard a similar story for Transformers G1 but Hasbro got it back? Anyone know if this was a thing?

I recall Spector Creative saying that Mattel owns the style guide stuff so as a technicality they can use that stuff in regards to She-Ra toys.

• Like Like x 2
  14. ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    page247_full.jpg
    I'm not going to say Revelations is the worst portrayal of Prince Adam. But it's certainly the second worst.

• Like Like x 2
  15. JukeOutlander

JukeOutlander Combat Antihero

News Credits:
    Geez how strong/powerful was Skeletor in that series?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:
    I don't get the hate personally. I mean it's too short, but I feel the same about almost all Netflix series / seasons. This was just the 1st story arc "what happens to Eternia if He-Man falls and how do people deal with learning his secret posthumously" and it delivered that very well, though I would have liked to see even more of Randor's anger about both Man at Arms and his wife keeping it a secret from him. The 2nd arc "What if Skelletor was the most powerful man in the universe and how does Adam handle it?" looks promising.

• Like Like x 7
  17. Grimlocks Pretender Shell

Grimlocks Pretender Shell Member of the Church of Quake.

I watched it all today and I gotta say I LOVED IT. I can’t wait for more.

• Like Like x 3
  18. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

I think it would be cool to see teela become the next sorceress of a new version of he-man. Either would be cool, but I’d also like to see teela get her own mount, maybe an armored zoar type eagle?

• Like Like x 2
  19. ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You know what I just noticed? Cringer's voice changes in the first episode. It's the same voice actor but he gives a wildly different performance between two scenes. In the first balcony scene Cringer sounds like an impression of his Filmation counterpart. But like two scenes later when Adam is going to change for the first time, the actor is using an entirely different, deeper voice! It's the voice he uses later on during the series. The first voice is much higher pitched. I guess you could say it's the actor portraying anxiety? I don't know. But it's jarring hearing it back to back the first time. I literally lol'd.

20. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    King Randor's Castle after losing He-Man, Duncan and Teela

• Like Like x 6