Netflix plans a He-Man cartoon

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by QLRformer, Aug 18, 2019.

1. TheLastBlade

TheLastBlade Well-Known Member

He certainly wants to grow up to be like rian Johnson and JJ Abrams…

• Like Like x 2
  2. Convotron

Convotron Well-Known Member

I'm someone who enjoyed Revelation part 1 but I've also been saying for some time that the promotion by Netflix and Kevin Smith himself in numerous interviews was a problem because initially Revelation was sold as essentially a continuation of the Filmation MotU cartoon, which it isn't. Kevin Smith later clarified that Revelation wasn't a continuation but here's the thing: Too little, too late (two weeks before the premiere).

https://twitter.com/ThatKevinSmith/status/1412656590931435521

The fact that Kevin Smith says people who accuse Revelation's promotion being a bait and switch need to "grow the F-- up" is ridiculous. I support Revelation. I'm a fan of it. I'm NOT a fan of people who don't take responsibility for their actions. Kevin Smith clearly put out contradicting messages about Revelation when you look back to Power-con when it was initially announced in 2019. It's his fault for adding fuel to the fire. Revelation was always going to be opposed by people who wanted Filmation MotU v2.0. It wasn't going to happen. Their expectations were never going to be met. However, Kevin Smith and Netflix's promotion team screwed up properly setting up expectations for Revelation.

This is a case where I definitely separate the "artist" from the work.

As much as I enjoy Revelation, I hope that future MotU entertainment projects don't make the same mistake of leading the potential audience with disingenuous promotional work.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yeah this kind of behavior is exactly what you don't want to do. This is how you lose fans. This is how you piss them off and even leave some to boycott.

• Like Like x 10
  4. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He wanted to do a strong female lead, he should have did She-ra. He couldn't develop Teela without tearing down everyone else that wasn't in a dress, and getting rid of the MAIN REASON MOST PEOPLE WERE INITIALLY HYPED FOR THE SHOW IN THE FIRST PLACE, THANKS TO HIS MISDIRECTION!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
  5. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That’s a lot of fiction, no one got “torn down.” He-Man and Man-At-Arms absolutely kick-ass in this show. And Teela is on a journey most people familiar with the franchise already know.

• Like Like x 4
  6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I really can't imagine how this kind of mistake still gets made. It doesn't make your main character seem better, it just makes everyone else seem worse. Teela's still an unlikable jerk whether everyone else is shitty or not.

I just don't get how we still these "things minus the thing" projects and they predictably stink. Then the creators usually go on social media to cry about it, seemingly ignorant to the simple fact that what they produced either isn't good or did not meet expectations. Anything besides admitting what you made isn't as great as you think. Rinse and repeat.

• Like Like x 9
  7. Convotron

As much as I like overall what was done with Revelation, I'd prefer a She-Ra led story over Teela.

I think the entertainment rights ownership of She-Ra could complicate matters but I would love to see Princess of Power given the Revelation treatment as far as animation approach goes. Story wise, I'd prefer it be its own continuity with no connection to Filmation PoP or Dreamworks She-Ra.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Haunting Your Nightmares in HD

If a new She-Ra series could come about that uses concepts that had little development in the original, like Prince Zed, or revisit some ideas introduced in Princesses of Power, or even ideas from the Classics toyline (like Despara), I'd be down for it. There's so much they could do just with the available concepts. Although...Could they even use Prince Zed? He's a Filmation exclusive character, but so was Marzo, and they had no trouble adapting him for the 2002 series.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I'd love another season of the 2002 series so we could get them to get into the Hordak/She-ra arc they were planning.

• Like Like x 12
  10. jungle penguins

jungle penguins Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can they even use She-Ra in media without permission? This ownership is a conundrum, like apparently Hordak is fine and not fine to use or something. I did notice some She-Ra trademarks by Mattel recently so they must have some stake.

He-Man fans absolutely need to grow up, half of them are a blight on the internet as far as I'm concerned, it's just that Smith hasn't been very mature from the get go so he can't really be the one saying so. He needs to stop taking the bait by lashing out cause what he just said is fueling 78 videos and 5000 comments as we speak.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Haunting Your Nightmares in HD

I don't know, honestly. The entire situation of who owns which rights and when or for how long is kind of confusing.

12. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    At this point I don't think he cares.

13. Daelo88

Daelo88 Well-Known Member

He-Man kicked ass? Are we watching the same show? If dying is kicking ass then yes He-Man kicked ass....Duncan however did kick ass and should have helped co-lead the group.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, I like the concept of He-Man, but I’d like to see an original property come along in the same vein. Do the whole fantasy, magic, & technology coexisting setting, but do a whole new story, new lore, new characters with names that aren’t painfully obvious toy names.

I think there’s room for more than 3 or 4 toons to exist in this genre.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Convotron

I would love to see a take on The Great Wars. It was a minor backstory mention in the mini comics (the original He-Man was a barbarian augmented by his costume that is actually technology originating from before the time of The Great Wars made by Eternian scientists.) and expanded upon in the Classics attempt at a unified continuity.

16. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

So watched it, I liked it, if you didn't that's fine but I'm just gonna leave it at this and bow out now

• Like Like x 7
  17. Pharoid

News Credits:
    I don’t even understand what you are talking about. He puts down everyone that comes at him. Stabs Skeletor through the chest, and willing sacrifices himself the save everyone.

Because he gets stabbed in the back isn’t a reflection on him as a hero and if you think he’s dead.... yeah we’re watching different shows or you’re pretty naive.

• Like Like x 6
  18. WeVoCoN

WeVoCoN Well-Known Member

True words from you, but then…where does it end? Rankin and Bass vs. Jackson. JRR Tolkien vs. C.S. Lewis. Best to leave this thread to baser arguments.

On a related note, I saw this on a sign: “Hobbitcoin is a non-fungible Tolkien.”

• Like Like x 4
  19. ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think "He-Man" comes off that bad. It's Adam that they utterly destroyed. The fact is that He-Man isn't given enough screen time to come off that bad.

motu.png
    ^ Me watching what they did to Adam and King Randor.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Pharoid

News Credits:
    You made me laugh out load, thank you.