Netflix plans a He-Man cartoon

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by QLRformer, Aug 18, 2019.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Kevin Smith Helming Masters of the Universe Sequel Series For Netflix

Prolific director Kevin Smith (of Jay and Silent Bob fame) is helming a new He-Man anime series for Netflix, titled Masters of the Universe: Revelation.

Masters of the Universe: Revelation will pick off where the original Masters of the Universe cartoon left off.
    [​IMG]

Oh, wow. I hope this will be awesome.

The art looks neat, first of all, not like how the new She-Ra cartoon looks. Then again the anime style works great for this show. I hope to see Kenshiro-style muscles on He-Man and Skeletor.

But as much as I adore the Filmation show, that show was campy fun for kids in the plainest sense of the word. There's no way to really follow it up in a serious manner.

But I'll keep an eye on this. At least this has a better chance than the planned film.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  2. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Sounds like a promising revival of the He-Man brand. I think it would've been better if this took place after the 2002 He Man series since that series was more serious in tone but who knows? They could make the tonal shift work here.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

"picking up from where the original 80's animated series left off". Hmm, well the last that was seen from that series was crossovers with She-Ra. So...

The Netflix She-Ra series has been, interesting. But I wish it would've been an action cartoon.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Internet Soldier

News Credits:
    Who asked for a (seemingly going by the vibe the poster is giving me) sequel to the 80's He-man show written by Kevin Smith, that will most likely, not in the same tone and style as the original Master of the Universe show?
    Hey I may be proven wrong and this might be a fun campy send up of the original, just with much better animation.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Hopefully they actually look like adults and not little kids playing make believe.

• Like Like x 4
  6. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Wish it was a new take (preferably, closer to the first mini-comics), but whatever. Sequel to the original? Yeah, I’ll give it a shot.

• Like Like x 5
  7. GamerSlyRatchet

GamerSlyRatchet Well-Known Member

They're really continuing the old series? Why? It just restricts what they can do with it, and it's not like the old series had amazing continuity, either. They should've just done a complete reboot.

Also, Netflix Anime? It might be cool if it's like Castlevania, but I REALLY wish Netflix would stop calling anime-inspired Western cartoons "anime".

It is.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Depends on how big a fan he is of He-man. Smith can write some decent stories when he wants to. He had a god run on Daredevil and Green Arrow, His Black Cat was okay, but his Batman runs weren't great and he has a habit of not finishing some stories. There was like a 2 year break in his Black Story for instance.

But this makes me worry
    it's up to Teela to solve the mystery of the missing Sword of Power in a race against time to prevent the end of the Universe! Her journey will uncover the secrets of Grayskull at last.

Sounds like it will be more about Teela than He-man

I'd rather they do a sequel to the 2003 series. They were setting up Hordak as the next big bad and it was a much better written and animated series.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think Smith might be a good call for this property. Sure he is a shill, but he’s a decent writer and a happy, nice guy. That’s exactly what a property like this needs. He certainly lived through it as a kid, although it’s a little after his time. I think he knows enough about comics and the time period of this franchise to make it work. Cautiously optimistic.

That could happen Netflix has deep pockets and needs content. They get a little success here maybe they can soft reboot / continue 200X

10. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

I wish the traditional tv could broadcast and produce this kind of show again, but at least is not produced by Cartoon.

11. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

Barely. I mean yes, the Netflix She-Ra series does feature some action. But not enough to declare it to be an "action cartoon". I mean look at the toys for the series, they're not action figures, they're dolls.

Yes, I had forgotten to say that in my first post above. I would much rather see a continuation of the 2002 Mike Young Production series than a continuation of the first cartoon.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  12. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Still worried that He-man isn't mentioned in the Title or description of the series.

13. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Internet Soldier

News Credits:
    Prince Adam was 16 in the original series and he looked like a 40 year old body builder.
    Also you're probably being smarmy about the She-ra, the main trio are teens in that, that is why they look young. Teens typically look young.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Pharoid

News Credits:
    There’s a He-Man movie coming out and a She-Ra show.

15. excelhedge

excelhedge Overseer of Weird

News Credits:
    Geez why make it a continuation of the 80's series! (That's what "New Adventures" was for.)The 2002 series is the one that had it's story cut and shorten before it could finish.

Don't get me wrong I'm still excited for it. But I was more into the 2002 series.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Greebtron

Greebtron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How can you have a continuation of something that didn't have a continuity in the first place? Not singling this show out, that's just how most Western cartoons were back then. They had no beginning and no end, they just existed.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Pharoid

News Credits:
    Nah the show had a progression.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Wait, so this is a continuation of the 80s series? Why? The show was plotless and had no character development whatsoever. Meanwhile, the 2002 series had many plots and lots of character development that got unresolved by premature cancelation. If any He-Man series deserves a continuation it is THAT one!

So teenagers are going to stop an evil all powerful wizard and his entire world wide army? :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol 

• Like Like x 4
  19. sifu74

sifu74 Banned

News Credits:
    He's going to wear skinny jeans with a man bun and hipster beard.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    so this is like a direct response to She-Ra right?

can't shake the feeling that a bunch of dudes saw girls were suddenly way into MOTU & loudly went "NO! that's OURS!"

• Like Like x 1