Netflix Kingdom Reviews - Share and Discuss

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tony_Bacala, Jul 22, 2021.

1. soull

soull Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I am firmly in the liked it camp. It has issues for sure, but I really enjoyed it for what it was and I would be happy to see more from this universe.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Evil Warrior of Talking

News Credits:
    Honestly, I kinda liked this show, mainly cause I thought it just went nuts with all the elements.

My laughter was uncontrollable when I saw this...
    SPOILER_unknown.png

• Like Like x 6
  3. WolverineDragon

WolverineDragon Brother Lombax

David Kaye on Twitter is teasing his unannounced projects while lamenting he wasn’t in Kingdom. I hope it means something regarding his involvement with Beast wars again!

• Like Like x 5
  4. GrimCharr

GrimCharr SciFi Geezer

I watched the other two series sort of half-interested. I'm definitely in the "underwhelmed" camp before. But watching the first bits of this, I could see where this whole weird story could have been worth it. I get it now. I'm familiar with writing fiction. Particularly genre fiction. And you simply have to plug certain formulas into your story. You need things to happen. Characters make decisions. The story must move forward. I get that.

The series sought to bring together the very disparate, incompatible "universes" the Transformers have taken in their many iterations. And you know what? Good idea. Rather than just rebooting G1 again, it gave us that, but also everything all of at once. But one fatal flaw. I'll get to that.

My perspective: I'm an old G1'er. And even more of a purist in that I remember the early G1. When Autobots were cars, Decepticons were jets, before the movie. That being said, I like different takes on Transformers more than the originals. There have been much better comics since the weak and perplexing Marvel ones. Both Animated and Prime brought things that improved on the original.

I actually liked the beginning part with Galvatron. That he was actively trying to alter the course of events through the Dead Universe and time travel. Well, yes, he would do that. Bit of an homage to Simon Furman's use of Galvatron as well. Megatron's different iterations were meeting across dimensions, time, etc? That had potential. Not being familiar with the Beast era characters, I followed along with the introduction and setup of the story, more or less. They threw in Quintessons, Unicon, Old Macadams, the Dead Universe, Space Bridges, the Matrix, and various other elements and Easter Eggs from Transformer media. Fine, fine. It wasn't going to be entirely original. But as a collage, I could accept that.

But the final review I have, the absolute fatal flaw, is once again Optimus Prime. If you're going to make Optimus Prime a hero, make him a real hero; not a bad cartoon hero. The entire story revolves around the fact that Optimus Prime sent the AllSpark off Cybertron. Then he later goes after it. And he admits it was a mistake to do what he did. I mean: what? I like a flawed hero. But this is bizarre. Prime admits to being completely wrong. And he still speaks ponderously, slowly, as though he is full of authority. And I just didn't buy it.

Optimus Prime had a brief, two-season cartoon show that made him an iconic hero, culminating in his grand finale in the 86 movie. Since then, he's become somewhat of a meme. What I dislike is the Prime that becomes a parody of his old character. I don't need Windblade in Machinima mocking him for being sanctimonious. I don't need him foolishly annexing Earth to the Cybertronian Empire and becoming just another symbol of naive self-righteousness. I don't like how he became a humorless parody of himself towards the end of Transformers: Prime. I dislike much of the characterization of him in the live action movies that seemed to forget why he was a heroic character to begin with.

We got to see Prime as a hero in G1. My favorite take on remixing Optimus? Transformers: Animated. (Maybe he had a good take in the Unicron Trilogy, but I didn't see that, either.) We so rarely get that. We get weird, flavorless channeling of G1 Optimus without his soul.

But this was a bad Optimus take. Drowsy. Charmless. So often completely wrong. Whatever potential this had, the mistake was putting Optimus Prime in the center of the show. And then making him a boring, frustrating character.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Trooper028

Trooper028 Well-Known Member

Watching Kingdom now, so there were over 200 Maximals in this Beast Wars? Do they ever say how many Predacons there were? Megatron just mentions his forces were also decimated, but probably a similar number I guess.

...I'd buy each and every one. I love Beast Wars that much.

Granted the G1-G2 Toy Line has like 200-300 characters for each faction IIRC.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Monari

Monari Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Once again, they do my boy Rodimus Prime dirty by having him be the only Commander class figure excluded from the animation.

Then again, they probably would've given him a high-pitched Russian accent or something, so maybe it's not a bad thing he wasn't included.

The animation is pretty. That's the only positive thing I can say about this show. Otherwise all three arcs were a slog to get through, the story was nonsensical, and the voice acting sounded like they canvassed the local high school for talent.

Still, it was better than the CW/TR/POTP series by miles. Maybe one day we'll actually get a semi-decent show. One day.

It's funny though, i'm also in the He-Man community, and this factionalization of the community splitting down the middle is exactly what's happening there over their new show as well. Netflix sure loves wrecking fandoms.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  7. Housewife2000

Housewife2000 Fandom, combine!

My two pennies worth: This show has a lot of problems, but it’s not all bad news.

The animation is generally good, with detailed environments and interesting atmos and effects. The character models feel a little stiff, and they struggle to express emotions - which is problematic.

Story-wise, I think the show hobbled itself by trying to cram so much story into 6 eps. They condense all of the Beast Wars, and notably all of Dinobot’s arc, into a handful of episodes, alongside a wrap up of the threads started in Siege and Earthrise. This leaves no time to breathe or get to know the characters. We’re hurried from set-piece to set-piece, and the show relies on the audience being in-the-know to make up for things they don’t have time to explain (see the Golden Disk, Galvatron, Unicron and the transforming Ark – none are properly introduced or explained, and all rely on prior knowledge to make sense). The result feels less like a complete story unto-itself, and more like a crib notes version of a much longer show. Sometimes in legacy fiction like this, references and homages become more like clutter than texture.

In general, the beasties felt more instantly recognisable than many of the generic Autobots and Decepticons who’ve been in this since Siege. I still struggle to care about this Optimus Prime, as he’s just too angsty and grim. Beast Megatron was probably the biggest misfire of the Kingdom cast – the “sycophant who names himself after his hero” is not a terrible take, but the show then over-references his original, beloved portrayal and so the contrast becomes stark and unfavourable.

That all said, I did find this the most watchable of the trilogy, with the Black Arachnia, Dinobot and Starscream strands coming off best. Seeing the ’84 gang and the s1 Beasties play off each other was novel (Soundwave v the Maximals!). The Mae Catt episodes were noticeable for characterful dialogue and moments of humour. Megatron’s “I am a weapon” was both bombastic and totally in keeping to the character, and Black Arachnia herself was sassy and fun throughout.

Overall, the WFC series has felt like a rushed, GrimDark recap of the 80s and 90s series, crammed with too many old references and too much lore, made by people-in-the-know for people-in-the-know. At it’s best, it’s polished up our favourite bots to look fresh and high-def, reinterpreted characters in modern ways, and thrown together disparate parts of the franchise. My hope for the future would be for less looking backwards and more looking forwards, and more focus on fun and engaging characters.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ca12nag3

ca12nag3 Well-Known Member

Excuses. G1 season 1 had 16 episodes. This trilogy has 18 episodes. You honestly gonna tell me that these 18 episodes can't be as good as season 1 of G1…?
    You forget how much budget is tossed into this whole series.
    If you compare just season1 of G1 with these 3 seasons nobody who is honest will say this is better. Forget about season 2 the movie 3 and 4. Just season 1 is miles better than this.

And I'm not without critique towards G1 for example Carnage in C-minor is an abomination as an episode of G1 barely watchable. Numerous animation errors. But I feel the mini arcs from the first season are well written some silly but do justice to the characters from the more than meets the eye 3 part to the Dinobots and Constructicons. It all works. And much better than this.

• Like Like x 6
  9. WolverineDragon

WolverineDragon Brother Lombax

I also said in another post that more could’ve been done better within their means. Just cuz your low budget doesn’t mean an actual effort shouldn’t be tried.

10. ca12nag3

ca12nag3 Well-Known Member

There are a lot of problems with the entire trilogy. And it is probably due to the way American entertainment is made today. More so than back in the day. Story-telling can still be good, inventive and enticing. Yet the extreme overtone of seriousness is probably what ruins it. It all starts with the very first episode where Bumblebee calls Wheeljack a kid and barks at him for no huge reason other than to show he is superior in skill. And Wheeljack complaining they don't pay him for his attitude. A useless dialog that has no reason to be there other than give voice acting some time to do something.
    While the first episode of G1 They both argue that the conductors they found won't last them long, and they immediately get attacked after going back to Iacon. Bumblebee gets hit and Wheeljack saves his buddy. You immediately get that comradery and that they are on the good team. While if you didn't know anything about Transformers you think the 2 guys in Siege are just assholes towards each other for no good reason.

• Like Like x 5
  11. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    I haven't even had time to watch yet. Not that I'm in any particular hurry...

12. Dark Starscream

Dark Starscream w/Powermaster Cobra Cmdr.

The show is pretty, but that doesn't save it from being absolute garbage.

Terrible writing and voice acting cripple what should have been an amazing treat for the fans.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dark Starscream

Dark Starscream w/Powermaster Cobra Cmdr.

I didn't get that. G1's episodes "The Search for Alpha Trion" and "War Dawn" did a much better job establishing their connection, and were written much better than WFC, with a complete, cohesive story told in under 22 minutes each episode.

• Like Like x 10
  14. Prowl1

Prowl1 Raving Prowl Fanatic

I think Rattrap's "Chopper Face" comment would have resonated more if it had SOUNDED like Rattrap. The VA tried doing a New Joisy accent at least, but it still wasn't the same. Too deep.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    So apparently Blackarachnia kissing her rescuer Airazor on the cheek and saying "My hero." is not an intentional reference to Rattrap kissing his rescuer Rhinox on the cheek and saying "My hero."

https://twitter.com/MaeCatt/status/1422247603798876176

If anything, it shows how little research she did into the original show.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

News Credits:
    I think you're obsessing about it more than the actual shippers.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 11
  17. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I read a tweet and shared it here. I don't call that obsessive.

Also, I think some other writer must have made an intentional reference to the scene even if Mae Catt was unaware of it.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You basically just proved her right.

19. deaddude

deaddude Well-Known Member

I think you're being a bit harsh. I literally re-watched the entire series a few weeks ago with my daughter and forgot that that scene happened. It's not like it's an iconic moment for either character, it's just a throwaway gag.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    don't you guys know beast wars invented kissing?

• Like Like x 4